Author Topic: jessop's compositions  (Read 7562 times)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
Re: jessop's compositions
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2017, 04:06:02 AM »
I've dropped the whole 'beethoven' thing........it seems as if there is a possibility for a few more performances after the world premiere :)

I have written just over a minute of music so far. Finishing this as well as completing a summer intensive course at the conservatorium is going to be a near impossible task...............

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2017, 04:24:22 AM »
You've already written a minute against a seven-minute piece, and you think finishing it is impossible? Yoda himself slap you he would  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »
That sounds like a very good idea, aleazk!

I've dropped the whole 'beethoven' thing........

lol... oh, why do I even make the effort...  :(

As punishment, I hope your summer course is really hard and full of equations!  >:D :laugh:

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
You've already written a minute against a seven-minute piece, and you think finishing it is impossible? Yoda himself slap you he would  8)

One minute of crotchet = 40 in 4/4 time is probably a little quicker to compose than one minute of very very fast music....which is what will happen soon.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
lol... oh, why do I even make the effort...  :(

As punishment, I hope your summer course is really hard and full of equations!  >:D :laugh:
:laugh: :P

Offline Overtones

« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
One minute of crotchet = 40 in 4/4 time is probably a little quicker to compose than one minute of very very fast music....which is what will happen soon.

You can always write a Larghissimo marking at the beginning if you see you're stuck with too little music  ;D

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2017, 05:14:56 AM »
You can always write a Larghissimo marking at the beginning if you see you're stuck with too little music  ;D
Ha, I do indeed have a two minute very slow introduction..........the entire first minute barely deviates from the note A flat.

A little update on the progress of the piece: I have finally come across an overall form that I like. What I am really trying to achieve is a natural progression from one section (as defined by the prominent textural and instrumental writing in each passage of music) to the next. The form is essentially just one idea which evolves into the next and continues to do so in a rather gradual fashion. All the while, some thematic material heard near the beginning of the piece holds it all together. I have called the piece 'Evolve' because I think it describes how the music happens.

EDIT: looking at an earlier post of mine in this thread, it seems as if my idea for the form of the work (the music going through different 'sections' in that gradually evolving way I described in this post) is the original idea I had for it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:20:04 AM by jessop »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2017, 05:32:22 AM »
Sometimes your initial idea is the right idea;  but it is also sometimes true that one sets aside the initial idea, only to return to it, thereby confirming that it is the right idea  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »
Awesome Jessop, looking forward to hearing it  :D

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Met up with the pianist yesterday to discuss some things about the composition and he tried out some of the effects I have written on his piano. Also, he gave me a  little piece of advice that he will need the score formatted so he can turn the pages without a problem in performance! I will meet up with him again on the 24th by which time the composition will be finished. It still doesn't seem realistic that my composition is being performed by such a highly regarded ensemble in the new music scene in my city.........but it isn't long now until the premiere!

• Veteran member
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Met up with the pianist yesterday to discuss some things about the composition and he tried out some of the effects I have written on his piano. Also, he gave me a  little piece of advice that he will need the score formatted so he can turn the pages without a problem in performance! I will meet up with him again on the 24th by which time the composition will be finished. It still doesn't seem realistic that my composition is being performed by such a highly regarded ensemble in the new music scene in my city.........but it isn't long now until the premiere!

It'd be quite a surreal experience I imagine, I'm really happy few you. When is the premiere?  ;)
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
It'd be quite a surreal experience I imagine, I'm really happy few you. When is the premiere?  ;)

9 Feb http://www.plexuscollective.com/concerts/

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
[...] Also, he gave me a  little piece of advice that he will need the score formatted so he can turn the pages without a problem in performance!

Oh, yes, indeed  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

:o That's a day before I officially move down to uni, it'd be a great house-warming gift for me?  ;)

How far are you through the piece now? last time I heard about it, it was 2 minutes... :)

......and did anything come of the Beethoven quotation you mentioned?

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
:o That's a day before I officially move down to uni, it'd be a great house-warming gift for me?  ;)

How far are you through the piece now? last time I heard about it, it was 2 minutes... :)

......and did anything come of the Beethoven quotation you mentioned?

It's getting close to 6 minutes in length and I'm aiming for 7 minutes. I dropped the Beethoven idea because that seems unnecessary now.

I'll see if I can post a live recording of it next month!

• Veteran member
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2017, 05:37:43 PM »
It's getting close to 6 minutes in length and I'm aiming for 7 minutes. I dropped the Beethoven idea because that seems unnecessary now.

I'll see if I can post a live recording of it next month!

So exciting!! Can't wait to hear  ;D 8)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 02:15:30 AM »
Progress seems to have been good, then.  Carry on!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 05:50:07 AM »
After a loooooong day of composing, I have reached the end of the final bar! Will be meeting up with the pianist again next week and the other musicians will be practising their parts leading up to the first rehearsal.

I might post the score here sooner or later

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2017, 06:20:07 AM »
Great to hear!  And do post the score, please:  inquiring ears want to know!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Overtones

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »

You certainly have the name du rôle.

It sounds Russian+Germanic+Jew.
What else is needed to be a great musician? :D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK