Author Topic: von Karajan and Bruckner  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: von Karajan and Bruckner
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »
Yes, supposedly HvK joined the Party twice, once in Austria and once in Germany. But it was an opportunist career move; there were other famous musicians far closer to the Nazi Regime.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »
Maybe this is the performance you found so satisfying?

https://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symphonies-Nos-Deum-Video/dp/B000YD7S26/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=karajan&qid=1551560394&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A2650304011&rnid=2941120011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-14

I remember reading in the notes of the DVD story that he was in terrible back pain, lying prone, immobile on the bed in the hotel. At the appointed time he rose from the, made his way to the concert hall, climbed the podium, and only when the music started all evidence of pain went away.

I don't know if he ever took narcotic pain killers. In those days they were not proscribed for chronic pain. He was into Zen meditation.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
Augmenting? There are zillions Of sets now, including many I don’t know but you cannot go wrong with
Karajan, Berlin DG
Masur, Leipzig
Skrowaczewski
Either Jochum

And an oddball super cheap set I recommend, Paternostro with Munich. All live, not by any stretch perfect, but somehow very rewarding.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Yes, supposedly HvK joined the Party twice, once in Austria and once in Germany. But it was an opportunist career move; there were other famous musicians far closer to the Nazi Regime.

Do not mean to (re)ignite that whole discussion/debate in any case, nor to cast aspersions on heroin addicts--opioid addiction is a huge problem in the U.S., and I do not judge these people (drug companies, unscrupulous doctors, and insurers OTOH...)

Scarpia and Ken, thanks for the recommendations. It will take me quite a while to listen to and appreciate this Karajan set (on the way), but will look into the other ideas eventually.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline jwinter

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 05:01:41 PM »
Augmenting? There are zillions Of sets now, including many I don’t know but you cannot go wrong with
Karajan, Berlin DG
Masur, Leipzig
Skrowaczewski
Either Jochum

And an oddball super cheap set I recommend, Paternostro with Munich. All live, not by any stretch perfect, but somehow very rewarding.

Greetings,

Not to hijack the thread, but wondering if there's anything in particular you recommend about the Masur set?  I picked it up years ago on the cheap, and honestly it made zero impression on me at the time -- perhaps I need to revisit it, looking back I'm not even sure that I've listened to the entire set all the way through.  I remember it as very vanilla, but that may well have been my ears at time...

I completely agree with your other suggestions for a first set.  I do prefer the EMI Karajan to the DG, but it's all good stuff, he definitely had an affinity for the composer.

Will have to keep an eye out for the Paternostro.  Cheers!  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice