Author Topic: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread  (Read 171369 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Re: The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread
« Reply #880 on: December 10, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »
Hey, thanks for ruining it, man! I used to also like mint chip ice cream until someone told me they thought it tasted like toothpaste!  :P
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #881 on: December 10, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
I saw her play her organ in a concert a couple of years ago with Servir Antico, and really didn’t enjoy it. Everything seemed flat, no relief. But friends of mine, some of whom are really much more involved in early music than I am - people who play portative organ in ensembles etc - seemed to love her and couldn’t see my problem. And she seems to get good people to work with her - e.g. Marc Mauillon. So I put it down to a bad seat in the church and dyspepsia after too much Dutch ale.

Wouldn't say "flat," but it's just music outside of my comfort zone. Was quite relieved when she launched back into some Andrea Antico.

On the bright side, that would mean that your toothpaste tastes like mint chip ice cream.
I like my current toothpaste because it tastes like root beer. :)

Offline dissily Mordentroge

« Reply #882 on: December 16, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
I may have posted this on the Bach organ thread previously. As I keep returning to it again and again I’ve decided it can’t have too much exposure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuoxijdFKA0&list=RDEMyzLcZ08HYttup5zYBdsHww

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #883 on: December 24, 2019, 08:15:56 PM »
Crosspost from the main listening thread

According to Amazon MP, this set is almost worth its weight in gold

NP
CD 8
9 CDs in this set are chorale settings; this is the seventh of those nine, featuring chorales whose source hymns have titles starting in O and N (the chorales are sorted alphabetically in this set).
Given the nature and era of the music, comparisons to Bach's chorale settings are natural. Suffice it to say Walther does not suffer by the comparison.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #884 on: December 29, 2019, 03:20:02 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1qvBENRUGbU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1qvBENRUGbU</a>

Very nice early c19 organ here,  Saint-Gervais, Geneva, restored under the direction of Lionel Rogg I think, here being used for a Roberday fugue by Adrien Pièce.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen