Author Topic: English Renaissance and Baroque Instrumental Music  (Read 7578 times)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: English Renaissance and Baroque Instrumental Music
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »

Alina Rotaru's vision of Byrd, Gibbons and Bull is angry. She pounds out the music in a one dimensional way, there's no emotional complexity here. Accents are forceful.  She likes to play fast. Rhythms are fairly rigid. It's thrilling but jejune.

Anyway that's my conclusion after two listens. I posted something like this yesterday but deleted it because I feared I may be doing her an injustice. But no. I hope someone will point out the error of my ways.

In fact I've come across this conception of English music before, in a live performance of Bull's Walsingham Variations by Leon Berben. Bull and Byrd had a lot to feel angry about - but did Gibbons?

She's playing some sort of German harpsichord I believe, I haven't found more details.

She plays a single manual German harpsichord by Thomas and Barbara Wolf 1995 after Christian Vater 1738.

I did not associate to "angry" when listening to it, but found the playing more straightforward and less charming than the playing on her Sweelinck and Froberger CDs. I shall relisten.
res severa verum gaudium

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • Venice as seen by Turner
    • Flickr photostream
Re: English Renaissance and Baroque Instrumental Music
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
I am finishing up a runthrough of the L'Oiseau Lyre Medieval/Renaissance set. It contains enough items of interest that it should warrant the attention of anyone interested in the period in general. But it warrants mention on this thread because a substantial number of the performances are English music through 1650 or so. About ten are instrumental, and another half dozen or so are vocal.
Mi Verry Joy (Songs of the 15th century) *
Holborne Pavans and Galliards **
A Musical Banquet **
Morley Ayres and Madrigals**
Wilbye First and Second Sets of Madrigals**
Corprario Funeral Tears and Consort Music**
Gibbons Madrigals and Motets **
Music from the Time of Elizabeth I ***
Byrd Consort Music **
Byrd My Lady Nevells Booke (selection)#
Cozens Lute Book
Fitzwilliam Virginal Book (selection) (double CD)#
Lawes Setts for violins and division viols **
Maynard Twelve Wonders of the World **
Dowland First book of songs **
Dowland Lachrymae **
Jenkins Consort Music **

* Medieval Ensemble of London
** Consort of Music
***Academy of Ancient Music
Anthony Rooley, lute
# Christopher​ Hogwood, keyboards​

The Byrd Music Consort and the Lawes are described as being "first international CD release", and of the rest, I think only the Dowland recordings are in general circulation.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:01:22 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK