Author Topic: Jacob Obrecht, Alexander Agricola & Heinrich Isaac.  (Read 11579 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Jacob Obrecht, Alexander Agricola & Heinrich Isaac.
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
Thanks for doing that. I wonder why it is that Isaac is so often presented with instruments, maybe I'm wrong but my impression is he gets this treatment more than others.

And yet, ironically,  my memory is that Cantica Symphonia did an Isaac mass with just voices!

Up to now I've found Cantica Symphonia's recording completely uninspiring.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:28:01 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Jacob Obrecht, Alexander Agricola & Heinrich Isaac.
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »

A rerelease of masses (Beata Maria Virginie) made over 10 years ago, and a disc of motets.  Fluid, serious and controlled singing, all male but IMO not too extrovert and agressive, as far as I can see OVPP a capella. Textures tend to be consistently rich rather than light and airy.

Masses are sung both chanted and with organ alternatim. I don’t know what instrument or music is being played, or indeed being chanted. The contrast between the chant and Isaac’s settings is sometimes very surprising, and IMO underlines Isaac’s originality.

Alternatim was clearly all the rage at the time, as you get passages of plainsong even in the motets!

Listening to this I was struck by two of their decisions: to sing a capella and to use an ensemble which is all male. I don’t know if it was the best decision, I have my doubts about that, especially in the motets, where I missed the lightness and soaring quality that the sopranos brought to Cantica Symphonia’s Isaac recording, and the noble sonority of brass accompaniment. The motets in Maletto’s CD impress me more and more each time I go back to them.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:42:29 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen