Author Topic: Jaap van Zweden, new NYPO director  (Read 9035 times)

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
Re: Jaap van Zweden, new NYPO director
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »
I don't want to go to New York so THERE *blows raspberry at the NYC sense of entitlement* :P

My dear young fellow, New York will not be the same without you.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2016, 08:24:59 PM »
My thoughts exactly! I was very happy to protest by patronizing the rival orchestra.  :)
Good idea.....Mahler 3 is fun to see live. I like the bit where some members of the audience (my family for example) fall asleep in the last movement and wake up in a daze when the applause starts. :laugh:

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2016, 08:33:10 PM »
Yes, best to spend only $10 dollars if you are looking for a bit of a sleep. I went with a friend to see Tannhauser in Barcelona. My back problems were kicking in and I had taken some pain killers and muscle relaxants, also some wine. I remember most of Act 1, but waking up at the end of the opera, (there must have been intervals), my friend lent across and said, " Well that was an expensive snooze."

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Online Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »
And here, a similar but rather contrasting story. I assume Mr Lebrecht will be moist with pleasure.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/04/mirga-grazinyte-tyla-conductor-cbso-have-got-it-right-again
Migra Granzinyte-Tyla, 29 years old, appointed to follow Andris Nelsons to lead The Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.
Looks like it could be a good match.
Mike

I read that Gražinytė-Tyla was 'born into a musical family' in her native Lithuania, or the beautiful medieval city of Vilnius, to be more precise. Interestingly, that is exactly what Jaap van Zweden was not - as he stems from a lower class background and was only 'discovered' in his youth as a musical talent by others. I think his unusual background is felt in his ambition (in the musical sense I mean).
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
Jesus Christ, New York, what is this graphic design? I think we officially get to take him back after this atrocity.

Online mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
Jesus Christ, New York, what is this graphic design? I think we officially get to take him back after this atrocity.

I think it's kinda cool. Not 'cool hanging in my house', but 'cool waiting in the subway station.'
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »

That's a lot of Jaap.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of Rites, Firebirds, Fairies, and Card Games
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »
I’m already lamenting the departure of Alan Gilbert. :'(
"I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it.” - Igor Stravinsky

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK