Author Topic: All things viol  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: All things viol
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 10:52:10 PM »

The music here, by Telemann for solo bass viol, was recently discovered. Thomas Fritzsch plays it  like a dream, full of mood changes, psychologically rich,  it makes me think of the wonderful Tobias Hume as played by Susanne Heinrich.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:56:45 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 03:16:35 AM »

There's a huge amount to enjoy on this solo CD by Wieland Kuijken.  A rich and complex polyphonic suite by Johannes Schenck which is full of passion and fantasy, a reminder of the context of Bach's last three cello suites; a handful of ricercari by Diego Ortiz and preludes by Christopher Simpson which are surprisingly abstract; melodically attractive pieces, some of them quite substantial, by Tobias Hume and Abel. In the case of the Hume, Kuijken is open to the complex emotions in the music, a sort of deep psychological content  - confirming my suspicion that Hume is a great great composer.

Kuijken's sense of expression and control is perfect for my tastes, as is his seriousness. He plays intimately and meditatively. Well recorded.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:20:30 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »

I had up to now believed that the emotional depth of  music for Lyra viol by Tobias Hume was a sort of blip, a feature of his music which made him a composer beyond the dominant  style of his time. But this extraordinary recording of excerpts from the Manchester Gamba Book played by Dietmar Berger shows that so much music played in the Lyra way - i.e. with a polyphonic texture created by chords like some of the Bach suites for cello - are extremely soulful. This recording is wonderful, inexhaustible, life enhancing, desert island blah blah blah.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
blah blah blah.

Those are the best!  :D

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 05:12:04 AM »

A very truthfully recorded, civilised and humane performance - the approach reminds me of Pandolfo & co. in the same music, but there's maybe more blend from Kuijken Bros. and Mr. Kohnen. It is easy going, congenial: no sense of swagger, sforzandi not too strong, tempos relaxed, there's a sense of abandon too - the players have abandoned their egos. This is far from Forqueray the devil and jolly good thing too. I haven't had a chance to hear the Dollé on the same recording. Like it (like Pandolfo too.) it's a bit of a big old wooly sweater of a performance - comforting and comfortable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:14:30 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »

A  passionate and theatrical performance of a few pieces by Marais and Forqueray, led by Fahmi Alqhai.

The dramatic life at Versailles was dominated by two polar opposites: Mollière and Racine. Comedy of manners and the passionate tragedy. Maybe this recording reveals a similar contrast in viol music: Forqueray = Racine and Marais = Mollière. That's probably nonsense.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
A cross post from the Listening Thread due to a recent purchase of mine....

The music from the various composers featured is of very good quality and, for the most part, upbeat with quite a bit of dance music featured. The playing and recording are both very fine. Most enjoyable and certainly warmly recommended. This CD certainly belongs in this thread.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »

I enjoyed discovering Telemann's viol fantasies on Thomas Fritzsch's CD when it first came out, in fact I enjoyed them more than any other Telemann I've ever heard! Are we really sure that they're by Telemann? >:D

We now have the appearance of all the fantasies recorded by Jonathan Dunford, played with his disctinctive nobility, rich sound, emotional restraint and seriousness. I guess that two recordings have appeared so quickly is a testimony to their musical quality.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK