Author Topic: Organ masses  (Read 3822 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Re: Organ masses: Guilmant and Vierne
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
For your consideration:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BddYhpb2WL0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BddYhpb2WL0</a>

And for Louis Vierne, one organ is not enough!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-zjlRHP0tjk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-zjlRHP0tjk</a>

Thank you. Very nice. Any recommended recordings?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
Re: Organ masses
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:51 PM »
Any specific recordings you would recommend? I'd be especially interested in a version with organ only.

Strictly speaking, the Durufle is not an organ mass in the sense of mass with organ alternatim, or is it?

The original scoring was for choir and orchestra, but the most common version is not a reduction but an actual rewriting of the work for organ and choir.   And yes, the organ plays throughout.  The best version in my opinion is the Philip Ledger with Janet Baker:

It is coupled with the Faure Requiem.

Offline Maciek

• Ban them all!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »
Thanks. The only recording I have is of the orchestra version (on HM) and it was difficult to figure out which of the others were of the organ version.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Organ masses: Guilmant and Vierne
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
For your consideration:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BddYhpb2WL0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BddYhpb2WL0</a>

And for Louis Vierne, one organ is not enough!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-zjlRHP0tjk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-zjlRHP0tjk</a>

Thank you. Very nice. Any recommended recordings?

Only one to choose from for the Guilmant:

For the Vierne, nothing right now is very cheap, but this can be downloaded at Amazon for a reasonable price:

"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »

Does anyone know what this is exactly? I just stumbled across it on spotify, it's rather pleasant.

I knew Freddy Eichelberger because he's the only person who I can bear to listen to in Louis Marchand's organ music. I suspect he's a very fine musician indeed. The serpent, played by Michel Godard, is also very attractive on this recording. I wonder if he and Eichelberger are improvising.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:43:13 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »

Does anyone know what this is exactly? I just stumbled across it on spotify, it's rather pleasant.

I knew Freddy Eichelberger because he's the only person who I can bear to listen to in Louis Marchand's organ music. I suspect he's a very fine musician indeed. The serpent, played by Michel Godard, is also very attractive on this recording. I wonder if he and Eichelberger are improvising.

The works seem to be anonymous.

Enticing. I am going to order the CD.

Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
The works seem to be anonymous.

Enticing. I am going to order the CD.

I don't think you'll regret it. I just listened to some of Eichelberger's Sweelinck on NM, there's a Fantasia he makes sound like something by Cabanilles, which in itself is interesting I think.

Here's another one I think you will like with Freddy Eichelberger.

L’enfer et le paradis dans l’univers musical européen autour des années 1600, voilà ce que nous propose de vivre l’ensemble Les Harpies : des œuvres « savantes », écrites, travaillées – Palestrina, Erbach, Attaingant, Gervaise… –, alternent avec des pièces anonymes d’inspiration plus populaire et improvisées. On entendra en particulier l’orgue Renaissance de Saint-Savin-en-Lavedan, initialement construit en 1557, et donc l’un des plus anciens de France. Certes, il fut remanié en 1618, abandonné sous la Révolution et pillé d’une grande partie de sa tuyauterie, puis laissé à l’état de ruines en 1861. L’instrument sera restauré en 1995-1996 ; d’origine, subsistaient le buffet, les sommiers, les faux sommiers, les registres « à l’italienne », deux soufflets (que l’on entendra souffler, car l’organiste a décidé de ne pas utiliser la soufflerie électrique !), des morceaux de clavier, de rares fragments de tuyaux, des traces d’étiquettes de registres et de passage de mécanique, des diamètres de trous et inscriptions de notes. La restauration, utilisant comme modèle des instruments similaires, aura restitué un instrument dont tout porte à croire qu’il sonnait ainsi voici presque un demi-millénaire. Les pièces d’inspiration populaire sont jouées à la cornemuse, au cistre, au violon, au colachon (une sorte de luth au long manche, venu d’Italie du Sud) et au régale – un petit orgue portatif. Un véritable voyage dans le temps… © SM/Qobuz
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:28:53 AM by Mandryka »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »

Here's another one I think you will like with Freddy Eichelberger.

Aha, also Pierre Gallon. He was rather good in the Attaignant recording. Thanks for the tip.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline DaveF

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »

Presto Classical's site describes it as A reconstruction of the ordinary practice of High Mass in the seventeenth century.  I'm most intrigued by La Saint-Michel - I speak French reasonably well, but never suspected that it made the archangel feminine - saint, Ange and, obviously, Michel, are all masculine.  Is it something to do with it being a feast (La fête), perhaps?
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 10:58:06 PM »
Presto Classical's site describes it as A reconstruction of the ordinary practice of High Mass in the seventeenth century.  I'm most intrigued by La Saint-Michel - I speak French reasonably well, but never suspected that it made the archangel feminine - saint, Ange and, obviously, Michel, are all masculine.  Is it something to do with it being a feast (La fête), perhaps?

Yes, La Saint Michel is the feast of St Michael.

(The mood of the music for the elevation of the host is so different in French music compared with Italian music.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:48:15 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »

The main part of this recording is the Missa Paschalis by Heinrich Isaac. Cantus Modalis are directed by Rebecca Stewart, and she has them sing in the intimate way she pioneered in her recordings with Cappella Pratensis. The sound the singers make is small, inexplosive. The impression they give me is of devotion, this isn't a performance really. We're eavesdropping on something.

The mass itself is played with organ in alternatim, and it's one of the best I've heard at giving a feeling of rapport between voice and instrument. There's a duet between organ and voice, a graduale, I don't know where the music comes from, it's magic.

In addition to the Isaac mass, there are pieces by Dufay and Josquin, which greatly add to the variety - the emotional variety in fact - of the recital. There is also some melismatic gregorian chant, very ornamental, sung by women interestingly.

Anyway this was a challenging recording at first because the style is so confidential and prayerful, it's still sounds strange (this is early music after all! It should sound strange!) but now I love it to bits, it's like a privilege to hear it, to be allowed to peek in on the event (I know that's soppy but . . .)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »

I don't believe that Louis Marchand intended his music to be performed with plainchant in alternatim, I don't think that was the practice at Versailles, and I believe that  presenting it like this is an imaginative leap on the part of Jean-Yves Haymoz and Bernard Coudurier. Somehow the restraint of the religious singing enhances (in my book) Marchand's music by making it too seem restrained and . . . spiritual even. As if the singers exude a nimbus which radiates onto the instrumental music. Coudurier sounds like he's in his element at St Maximin, he uses the recording as an opportunity to show the world the resources of the instrument.

This was a recording I couldn't enjoy when I listened to it through Spotify. Its qualities only became apparent when I heard it in its full lossless glory. Sound quality matters.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:38:23 AM by Mandryka »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK