Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1997390 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #23280 on: March 15, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »
My purchasing hiatus lasted two weeks

The last one is the Kinsella cello concerto recording mentioned in the Kinsella thread (it has a DSCH Firstconcerto to go along with it, as well one by a Peruvian composer I am totally unfamiliar with,  Celso Garrido-Lecca.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:08:20 PM by JBS »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #23281 on: March 16, 2019, 01:11:23 AM »
From Fnac Lisbon:

They were not cheap at €15 each, but that's the same price as ordering directly from Movimento Patrimonial pela Música Portuguesa. Which I probably will have to do to get volumes V -VII.

The Classical Music section at Fnac was rather small for the capital of an European country. I did find a well stocked private music store, but prices were... pricey...  ::)

Q
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:29:11 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #23282 on: March 16, 2019, 01:38:07 AM »
My purchasing hiatus lasted two weeks

The last one is the Kinsella cello concerto recording mentioned in the Kinsella thread (it has a DSCH Firstconcerto to go along with it, as well one by a Peruvian composer I am totally unfamiliar with, Celso Garrido-Lecca.
Good to be reminded of it, because honestly I failed to play it since it arrived here, a couple of years ago; it's now on the turntable. The notes are by Kinsella himself, which is helpful: he wrote it for Carlos Prieto - to whom it is dedicated - and it came after Symphony 7 (which I find his best, so far) and even 8 (that he had to complete first) and was finished at Christmas 2000. There are two movements: the first a lengthy series of variations in search of the theme, a Quasi una Fantasia, followed by the Allegro con Brio Rondo, the (second) part that he wrote first and presents the main (rondo) theme. This allegro reminds me most of the Seventh. The concerto by Celso Garrido-Lecca is also a Prieto dedication, which explains the mix macédoine on this disc.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #23283 on: March 16, 2019, 02:05:53 AM »
JPC de
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #23284 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:28 AM »
JPC de
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #23285 on: March 16, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
JPC de

I have that Trio Settocento set. I am pretty sure you will like it. Do you have anything from Rachel Barton Pine's non Baroque recordings?

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #23286 on: March 16, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »
I have that Trio Settocento set. I am pretty sure you will like it. Do you have anything from Rachel Barton Pine's non Baroque recordings?

Not yet, but I am looking in that direction. Thanks for the thumbs up for the Trio Settocento set. The samples sounded very good indeed.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23287 on: March 16, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »

JPC sells her 2-disc sets of the Joachim+Brahms concertos and the Clement+Beethoven concertos for 7.99€. Very tempting, I must say.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23288 on: March 17, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »

Two of my favourite danish composers in works I have never heard.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #23289 on: March 17, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
Pre-order: Fazil Say: Troy Sonata, etc. (Fazil Say, composer and pianist)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #23290 on: March 18, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »
Just bought:

“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23291 on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23292 on: March 18, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »

As always with Graffin, unusual and interesting byways. I’m particularly curious to hear the Ysaÿe transcription of the Chopin ballade and the Pijper works.