Top 5 Favorite Martinů Works

Started by Mirror Image, July 30, 2016, 09:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

I have various recordings of the symphonies and concertos (piano, cello, violin etc) as well as the completes string quartets and piano trios and can't honestly say which are my 5 favourites.

Most recently I have been listening to the quartet of chamber cantatas -

The Opening of the Wells
Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Fires
Mikes of the Mountains
The Romance of the Dandelions

This led on to Spalicek and its spin-off The Spectre's Bride. All this is wonderful, lyrical music.

amw

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2017, 06:43:16 AM
Great looking list, amw. Is there a particular recording of the Piano Quartet that you can recommend? This is a work that is surprisingly not in my Martinu collection.
The recording I've got is the Kocian Quartet with Ivan Klánský, which comes with the two Piano Quintets (also both very good pieces). From a quick perusal of the available recordings I would also recommend the Ensemble Calliopée on Alpha (quicker, cleaner, still expressive) or the Martinů Piano Quartet on Arcodiva (slower, more romantic).

Parsifal

It seems there is a bit of a Martinu revival around here. I won't make a list but will mention the Nonet, which started my own renewed interest in Martinu a short while back. Another piece which I think deserves mention is the Concertino for Piano Trio and Orchestra.

This recording is very fine, but may be out of print.

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on October 31, 2017, 07:20:22 AM
The recording I've got is the Kocian Quartet with Ivan Klánský, which comes with the two Piano Quintets (also both very good pieces). From a quick perusal of the available recordings I would also recommend the Ensemble Calliopée on Alpha (quicker, cleaner, still expressive) or the Martinů Piano Quartet on Arcodiva (slower, more romantic).

Thank you very much. Yes, the Piano Quintet Nos. 1 & 2 are both quite fine works as well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on October 31, 2017, 07:26:26 AM
It seems there is a bit of a Martinu revival around here. I won't make a list but will mention the Nonet, which started my own renewed interest in Martinu a short while back. Another piece which I think deserves mention is the Concertino for Piano Trio and Orchestra.

This recording is very fine, but may be out of print.

Nope, it's still in-print because I just bought it brand new. ;)

[asin]B001UUNBY6[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on October 31, 2017, 07:05:18 AM
I have various recordings of the symphonies and concertos (piano, cello, violin etc) as well as the completes string quartets and piano trios and can't honestly say which are my 5 favourites.

Most recently I have been listening to the quartet of chamber cantatas -

The Opening of the Wells
Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Fires
Mikes of the Mountains
The Romance of the Dandelions

This led on to Spalicek and its spin-off The Spectre's Bride. All this is wonderful, lyrical music.

All fine works, Biffo. 8)

Parsifal

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2017, 07:41:07 AM
Nope, it's still in-print because I just bought it brand new. ;)

[asin]B001UUNBY6[/asin]

That's good news. The other works on that disc, particularly the Concerto for Piano Trio and Orchestra gave me a lot of pleasure as well.

SymphonicAddict

Martinu has become one of my all-time favorite composers

Symphony 3
Czech Rhapsody for baritone, chorus, organ and orchestra
Nonet no. 2
Estampes
String sextet

aesthetic

I'll list 10, because he's worth it.  8)

Symphony No. 4
Symphony No. 6 "Fantaisies symphoniques"
Cello Sonata No. 2
Concerto for 2 pianos, H. 292
Concerto for violin, piano and orchestra, H. 342

Toccata e Due Canzoni
Oboe Concerto
Harpsichord Concerto
Cello Sonata No. 1
Butterflies and Birds of Paradise, H. 127

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 31, 2017, 11:39:16 AM

Symphony 3
Nonet no. 2
Estampes
String sextet

Excellent list! I loved Martinu's music on first-listen. Unusual choice with the Czech Rhapsody for baritone, chorus, organ, and orchestra. I remember I got into a bit of an argument with a member here about the merits of this particular work. My point was this: even though it's not from his mature period, it's still a fine work nevertheless.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aesthetic on October 31, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
I'll list 10, because he's worth it.  8)

Symphony No. 4
Symphony No. 6 "Fantaisies symphoniques"
Cello Sonata No. 2
Concerto for 2 pianos, H. 292
Concerto for violin, piano and orchestra, H. 342

Toccata e Due Canzoni
Oboe Concerto
Harpsichord Concerto
Cello Sonata No. 1
Butterflies and Birds of Paradise, H. 127

Excellent list even though you can't condense it. ;) Trust me, I'd love to make another list, but I'm quite happy with my choices overall.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on October 31, 2017, 08:06:50 AM
That's good news. The other works on that disc, particularly the Concerto for Piano Trio and Orchestra gave me a lot of pleasure as well.

Great to hear, Scarpia. Can't wait to hear it.

Mirror Image

Well....I suppose in true GMG fashion I'll make another list (in no particular order):

Symphony No. 6, "Fantaisies symphoniques", H. 343
Piano Quintet No. 2, H. 298
Ariane, H. 370
Sinfonietta La Jolla, H. 328
Toccata e Due Canzoni, H. 311

It'll probably be completely different tomorrow (as suspected). ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 31, 2017, 11:39:16 AM

Symphony 3
Nonet no. 2
Estampes
String sextet
I only know the Symphony 3 and Estampes in this list! Clearly I need to catch up with my Martinu appreciation. Having said that I'm really enjoying the new Supraphon 'Epic of Gilgamesh' which may, along with symphonies 4 and 6 be my favourite of the works I know.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Today's list:

Trio for Flute, Cello, and Piano, H 300
Bergerettes, H 275
Concerto for Violin, Piano, and Orchestra, H 342
Magic Nights, H 119
The Butterfly that Stamped, H 153

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 05, 2017, 01:44:53 AM
I only know the Symphony 3 and Estampes in this list! Clearly I need to catch up with my Martinu appreciation. Having said that I'm really enjoying the new Supraphon 'Epic of Gilgamesh' which may, along with symphonies 4 and 6 be my favourite of the works I know.

The Nonet is a work that exudes joy in large amounts. It's one of his best chamber works IMHO. The Czech Rhapsody has an epic character that I find particularly superb, it really excites me. Although the string sextet is wonderful, I might change it for the Piano quintet 2 or The Epic of Gilgamesh, which are splendid as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 05, 2017, 11:42:06 AM
The Nonet is a work that exudes joy in large amounts. It's one of his best chamber works IMHO. The Czech Rhapsody has an epic character that I find particularly superb, it really excites me. Although the string sextet is wonderful, I might change it for the Piano quintet 2 or The Epic of Gilgamesh, which are splendid as well.
All very tempting Caesar! Thank you for the recommendations.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

I cannot comprehend how any longterm member of the site and Martinů fan could have avoided the Nonet. It's the one work I was sure would be on my list, and will be on my list.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on November 05, 2017, 12:38:30 PM
I cannot comprehend how any longterm member of the site and Martinů fan could have avoided the Nonet. It's the one work I was sure would be on my list, and will be on my list.

Well, let's cut our Jeffrey some slack. If I'm not mistaken, chamber music isn't necessarily his genre of choice, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

vandermolen

Ok, clearly I need to hear the Nonet  :o
Any recommended recording?

John is right I don't listen to a great deal of chamber music, or opera for that matter. Having said that I'm currently greatly enjoying the string quartets 1 and 2 by Kabalevsky and some chamber music by Roslavets.

PS I do own a CD including the Nonet  ::) (Kocian Quartet).
No idea where it is - must find it.