Author Topic: My music corner  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Folk, Klezmer, jazz and very dissonant, exhilarating hyper-modern classical music (the music of the gods)
Re: Thatfabulousalien's corner!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 01:17:48 AM »
I listened to 7 seconds of the string quartet piece and turned it off. sorrynotsorry

Depends if Beethoven's Grosso appeals to you or not, because it was purposefully modelled after that as a small study...
Self-proclaimed human (even though it's a lie)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 01:20:27 AM »
Depends if Beethoven's Grosso appeals to you or not, because it was purposefully modelled after that as a small study...
I do love Beethoven's Grosse Fuge

• Veteran member
    Folk, Klezmer, jazz and very dissonant, exhilarating hyper-modern classical music (the music of the gods)
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 01:24:01 AM »
I do love Beethoven's Grosse Fuge

It's basically a variation of a major theme (which the actual piano variation is available in those soundcloud uploads), which has then been heavily chromatically harmonised in the style of the jumpy rhythm from early in the Grosso, that's what it is..

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:52 AM »
It's basically a variation of a major theme (which the actual piano variation is available in those soundcloud uploads), which has then been heavily chromatically harmonised in the style of the jumpy rhythm from early in the Grosso, that's what it is..

To be completely blunt, it sounds like it was composed as an exercise rather than with the creative energy and enthusiasm for music that exists in the first electronic work I listened to of yours.

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 01:28:27 AM »
To be completely blunt, it sounds like it was composed as an exercise rather than with the creative energy and enthusiasm for music that exists in the first electronic work I listened to of yours.

Fair enough statement. What do you think of the other pieces?  :)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 01:29:41 AM »
Oh, if it's MIDI, it won't flatter a piece for string quartet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 01:29:47 AM »
Fair enough statement. What do you think of the other pieces?  :)

I haven't listened to all of them yet. I have to get some of my weekly listenings done for some of my subjects..........japanese music omg :')

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 01:30:45 AM »
Agreed
Midi unfortuantely has the incredible talent of making absolutely anything sound lifeless and dull.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 01:36:18 AM »

Even Beethoven and Bach sound terrible in midi!

I just haven't gotten to the fortune stage yet in the classical world of having other humans perform my music yet, yet!

I have had the pleasure with my rock music in the past few years but rock music isn't my goal in life, more of a side thing.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 01:37:32 AM »
Even Beethoven and Bach sound terrible in midi!

I just haven't gotten to the fortune stage yet in the classical world of having other humans perform my music yet, yet!

I have had the pleasure with my rock music in the past few years but rock music isn't my goal in life, more of a side thing.
Are you more of an armature [sic] rocker?

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 01:49:19 AM »

I've been in a few bands in the past of varying success, but I see myself as a person who will focus highly on producing a decently big body of musical work in the classical world (whether all of it gets performed after publication is another matter though, but I will be in your shoes so to speak next year), then in between larger works I hope to commercially release ambient albums, jazz, rock/metal, even folk albums. As a multi-instrumentalist, the latter in contrast to my classical world is within reaching distance even as we speak.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 01:54:02 AM »
I've been in a few bands in the past of varying success, but I see myself as a person who will focus highly on producing a decently big body of musical work in the classical world (whether all of it gets performed after publication is another matter though, but I will be in your shoes so to speak next year), then in between larger works I hope to commercially release ambient albums, jazz, rock/metal, even folk albums. As a multi-instrumentalist, the latter in contrast to my classical world is within reaching distance even as we speak.

It is always a wonderful thing to have a grand plan! I have not got so much of my work performed but at a conservatory there will always be students willing to perform your music. Record them playing your compositions!!!!!!!! 8)

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »
It is always a wonderful thing to have a grand plan! I have not got so much of my work performed but at a conservatory there will always be students willing to perform your music. Record them playing your compositions!!!!!!!! 8)

Yes, something I am greatly looking forward to!

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:20 PM »

Modeled after one of two of Luigi's most enshrined, and truly ugly sounding, epic fails (Klaviersonate Nr. 29 [Hammerklavier Sonate], Große Fuge), while really great artist's failures are usually far more interesting than many a lesser artist's successes.

I checked them all out.  I'll P.M. you.  Nothing to fear -- don't lose any sleep over the waiting, which may be more than a minute, an hour, or a few days, even.

Best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »

Armchair Rocker / Rocking Chair / Rocking Char / Charred Rock

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »

You do get that Große Fuge is an epic life and death schizophrenic struggle between Horizontal-Contrapuntal Ludwig and his more innate Luigi the Vertical-Harmonist selves?  I think considered great because of this struggle, neither sides taking any hostages, and from the outside, the verdict is out as to which side predominated.  Like any all-out battlefield littered with the wounded, dying and dead, it ain't pretty, and it is more than a little ugly :-)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:44:40 PM by Monsieur Croche »

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
The last two posts here by M. Croche are simply perfect. Thank you for being an active member here.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »
The last two posts here by M. Croche are simply perfect. Thank you for being an active member here.

Aw, gawrsh. I'm going to bask in that for a few moments before I remind myself of this...
"That, plus the fare, gets me on the bus."

Really, I  thank you.  I hope you also realize too, just how valuable an asset you are to GMG as well.

Always best regards.

• Veteran member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »
You do get that Große Fuge is an epic life and death schizophrenic struggle between Horizontal-Contrapuntal Ludwig and his more innate Ludwig the Vertical-Harmonist selves? I think considered great because of this struggle, neither sides taking any hostages, and from the outside, the verdict is out as to which side predominated. Like any all-out battlefield littered with the wounded, dying and dead, it ain't pretty, and it is more than a little ugly :-)

Right, I see. I hope you like the other stuff then  ;D
Though you can hate it with a passion if you so wish  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:05:04 AM by Thatfabulousalien »

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 06:50:20 PM »
I listened to Parsecs No.1.

What I heard is, more or less, a rigid succession of mono-textured panels.

There are many issues, I think. First, you should work on making more interesting transitions. This process will include a more elaborate transformation of the original textures, i.e., not just the mere presentation of the texture.

Second, polyphony, i.e., more than one sound at a time. This also will make the textures more interesting and not simple and monochromatic as the ones in the piece. The elaboration of this polyphony also will help to make the transitions and the general shape of the piece.

So, in general, use all the resources we have from western music in combination with the new possibilities offered by this new electronic medium.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK