Author Topic: The laughably naïve idea that classical music can be killed :)  (Read 702 times)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

http://assets.gcstatic.com/u/apps/asset_manager/uploaded/2016/33/what-is-killing-classical-music--1471272138.jpg

Despite centuries of ruthless attacks on music since the middle ages, classical music simply is going as strong as ever :laugh:

(I have a hunch that the quote from 2013 is referring to Krystian Zimerman but I could be wrong)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:07:06 PM by jessop »

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Re: The laughably naïve idea that classical music can be killed :)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »
This thread didn't seem to attract much attention, but I just read this from lovely member arpeggio which might belong nicely here

A problem that I have with the classical music is dead crowd is that it seems that most of them are American.  They may be correct concerning the status of classical music in the United States.  But I rarely hear a non-American claim that classical music is dying.  Maybe some of out non-American friends can clarify that status of classical music in their countries.

I haven't heard 'classical music is dead' in my city in Australia, which has at least three opera companies, a symphony orchestra, a plethora of new music ensembles and opportunities, and I'm not even in Europe where in some opera houses you need to apply for tickets and be able to purchase them if you are lucky. A lot of demand for classical music is what I notice, sometimes verging on too much that organisations can't supply enough tickets to cater for everyone.

Also, I sometimes enjoy talking to strangers, and music tends to be some kind of nice small-talk topic. Most people I talk to have listened to and enjoyed classical music, or have even studied it or sung in choirs or have had family members perform classical music. There is just a sense to me that this 'dead' art form is a part of many peoples lives.

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:07:36 PM »
We hear "jazz is dead" here in the U.S. too, and for very similar "reasons." Of course, the rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated as well.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
    Music
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:28:46 PM »
Well, the first six items on the list are from before the term "classical music" was coined.

It is instructive to reflect that most of the music in the so-called "classical era" was composed before the term "classical music" was coined. Or could be instructive. And all of it had been written by the time that the term had really caught on.

So we could dispense with the term, I think. People make music. Always have; always will. Not all of it will please everyone. As has always been the case, though in the times before the term was invented, people were generally a lot more tolerant of different kinds of music, or so it appears from concert programs with glees and arias and string quartets and movements of symphonies all jostling for attention.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
There never was "ruthless attacks", only challenges. The music of Elvis Presley is in much bigger danger than classical music.  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:18:29 AM »
"X is killing Proper Music + modern culture sucks" is almost always just code for "my preferred version of the white upper class has less power in society than it used to".

In fifty years, upper-middle-class white academics who grew up on Kendrick Lamar, Young Thug and Chance the Rapper will be writing articles about how "X is killing hip-hop, proof of the degeneracy of contemporary culture", etc, where X is a form of culture preferred by a new generation of upper-middle-class white people who have more money than them.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
The people who keep saying classical music is dying probably want classical music to die.

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »
Well, the first six items on the list are from before the term "classical music" was coined.

It is instructive to reflect that most of the music in the so-called "classical era" was composed before the term "classical music" was coined. Or could be instructive. And all of it had been written by the time that the term had really caught on.

So we could dispense with the term, I think. People make music. Always have; always will. Not all of it will please everyone. As has always been the case, though in the times before the term was invented, people were generally a lot more tolerant of different kinds of music, or so it appears from concert programs with glees and arias and string quartets and movements of symphonies all jostling for attention.
Duke Ellington said something to the effect of, "We have good music and bad music.  No other kind."
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
We hear "jazz is dead" here in the U.S. too, and for very similar "reasons." Of course, the rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated as well.

Those claims usually are based upon sales of CD's and paid downloads: barely above 1% for both Jazz and Classical.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/310746/share-music-album-sales-us-genre/

c. 35 years ago, the percentage was between 3% and 6%:

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/29/arts/classical-record-sales-are-surging.html

A positive counter to the negative claims:

http://www.fredericksymphony.org/blog/is-classical-music-a-thing-of-the-past
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 02:37:54 AM »
Here's the article about Zimerman - just read it an hour ago, by coincidence (was looking for write-ups about his Bacewicz-disc):
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/jun/04/krystian-zimerman-youtube-protest
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
The people who keep saying classical music is dying probably want classical music to die.

or conversely, and I think much more the truth of the matter, it is those classical devotees who really really don't care for music post 1900, excepting a bit of Rachmaninoff, i.e. anything much past romantic or late romantic era rep is, to them, 'no longer music.'

Well, send them to the museum / hall for older rep, and don't let them know whats been going on in classical music for the last 100 years or so, and their comfort zone - gated community insular minds will be happy -- though they will also then be relieved of their pleasures of moaning about how classical music 'died.'
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
Who cares what they say. If there's in history any general rule at all, it's that at any time there will be a lot of people saying a lot of all kinds of idiotic things. Meanwhile, the world keeps rolling, and they are the ones that inexorably die.