Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations.  (Read 11452 times)

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
    • this just as this
  • Currently Listening to:
    Scriabin, often
Re: Brexit Negotiations.
« Reply #360 on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:45:16 PM by nodogen »
this just as this

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #361 on: December 13, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
Apparently some of the Brexiteers are furious with the rebels. Nadine Dorries has said they should be deselected. It's a good job the Brexiteers themselves don't have track records of repeated rebellion against their own government when they were pushing their anti-EU agenda, or they might be open to accusations of hypocrisy.

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
    • this just as this
    Scriabin, often
« Reply #362 on: December 13, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »
Apparently some of the Brexiteers are furious with the rebels. Nadine Dorries has said they should be deselected. It's a good job the Brexiteers themselves don't have track records of repeated rebellion against their own government when they were pushing their anti-EU agenda, or they might be open to accusations of hypocrisy.

Shhhh. The Will of The People is more important than hypocrisy.

Wasn't it lovely watching them slagging each other off on the news tonight. 😁
this just as this

Offline Turbot nouveaux

« Reply #363 on: December 14, 2017, 04:29:26 AM »
The more the members of this odious government fight and fall out with each other, the happier I'll be, and the sooner we'll be rid of them.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #364 on: December 14, 2017, 06:47:35 AM »
Having already given us the infamous "Enemies of the People" and "Crush the Saboteurs" headlines, the Daily Mail is back in Der Sturmer mode:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/14/proud-tory-brexit-rebels-parliament-mutineers

Who would ever guess that this is the same paper that once cheered on Mosley's Blackshirts? Still, I'm sure they took an equally dim view of the Brexiteers when they were rebelling over Europe, because there's no way the Mail would ever be hypocritical. Just wouldn't happen.

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
    • this just as this
    Scriabin, often
« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2017, 07:04:36 AM »
Having already given us the infamous "Enemies of the People" and "Crush the Saboteurs" headlines, the Daily Mail is back in Der Sturmer mode:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/14/proud-tory-brexit-rebels-parliament-mutineers

Who would ever guess that this is the same paper that once cheered on Mosley's Blackshirts? Still, I'm sure they took an equally dim view of the Brexiteers when they were rebelling over Europe, because there's no way the Mail would ever be hypocritical. Just wouldn't happen.

Clearly I hope it does not happen, but I genuinely fear the mail may prompt a violent response, if not now but eventually. Power without responsibility. And of course, a causal link could never be established. Surely we don't want another Jo Cox tragedy?

I don't know what the solution to the mail's defence of "freedom of speech" is but an attempt at addressing it is needed. To be blunt, those that might be able to do something about it are those most likely to be a target of such hatred.

this just as this

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #366 on: December 14, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »
Clearly I hope it does not happen, but I genuinely fear the mail may prompt a violent response, if not now but eventually. Power without responsibility. And of course, a causal link could never be established. Surely we don't want another Jo Cox tragedy?

I don't know what the solution to the mail's defence of "freedom of speech" is but an attempt at addressing it is needed. To be blunt, those that might be able to do something about it are those most likely to be a target of such hatred.

Perhaps it should be prosecuted under terrorism laws for radicalising its readers:

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/939428837598916608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Fsoft-brexit-fallout-thread.418898%2Fpage-530

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #367 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »

And predictably enough....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/14/dominic-grieve-says-he-has-had-death-threats-after-brexit-rebellion

Soubry also had death threats after the Telegraph's recent "mutineers" headline.

Of course, if there is another Jo Cox tragedy their defence will be similar to what Trump says when a mass killing happens and it turns out the shooter is white rather than brown: mental illness issue, no wider significance, mustn't politicise this tragedy, etc..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:36:41 AM by Mr. Minnow »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK