Author Topic: Michael Gielen 1927-2019  (Read 465 times)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Michael Gielen 1927-2019
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/Komponist-Gielen-ist-tot,komponist-100.html
The German-Austrian conductor and composer Michael Gielen died at the age of 91. He was considered one of the greatest conductors of our time. His repertoire ranged from Bach to Modernism, from symphonic literature to opera. In 1986 Gielen took over the Sinfonieorchester des Südwestfunks, which was renamed SWR-Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden and Freiburg in 1996. He directed it until 1999.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Crudblud

Re: Michael Gielen 1927-2019
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
RIP. Gielen has the best Mahler 7 on record. Excellent recordings of late Stravinsky as well.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
Amazing longevity, and did some fine things.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
RIP. Such terrible news. Maestro Gielen was one of the greatest conductors around and seemed like a great man as well. Another blow to the classical world.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
RIP. Gielen has the best Mahler 7 on record. Excellent recordings of late Stravinsky as well.
I'm listening to that now - his Mahler 2nd is certainly very good. I've also enjoyed very much his recordings of Bartók, Stravinsky and the 2nd Viennese School.

RIP. Such terrible news. Maestro Gielen was one of the greatest conductors around and seemed like a great man as well. Another blow to the classical world.
Sad news indeed, John, although tempered by the fact that he reached a very ripe old age, and left us a great legacy in his recordings before his retirement from conducting in 2014, at age 87. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
I'm listening to that now - his Mahler 2nd is certainly very good. I've also enjoyed very much his recordings of Bartók, Stravinsky and the 2nd Viennese School.

Indeed, I've reviewed my listening notes and I was very impressed with his Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms, and his recordings of the Schoenberg Chamber Symphonies and Piano Concerto with Brendel (a Philips release).
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »
What sad news! A great conductor, and a great mahlerian.

I first became aware of Michael Gielen  more than 40 years ago, when I bought his (wonderful) recording of Moses und Aron on the Philips label (it was the soundtrack to the Straub & Huillet film of the opera, shichi only got to watch much later):

I was bowled over by the work (it was my first encounter with it, and I knew barely nothing by Schoenberg at the time), and still consider this one of the best recordings of it. Unfortunately, it’s only fleetingly been reissued on CD (first in a limited Philips pressing, and later on the budget Brilliant label—which is the one I have now).

I only saw Gielen live once, in Berlin around 10 years ago, in a Mozart / Berg program (including the Three Pieces for Orchestra. It was excellent.

I also read his memoirs, Unbedingt Musik (“Necessarily Music”, not translated into English AFAIK) some years ago, and they were very interesting and entertaining, and beautifully written:

Rest in piece.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:51:34 PM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
I only saw Gielen live once, in Berlin around 10 years ago, in a Mozart / Berg program (including the Three Pieces for Orchestra. It was excellent.

I too only saw him once, in Frankfurt in 2006, conducting Schoenberg's Gurre-Lieder. Memorable.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
What sad news! A great conductor, and a great mahlerian.

I first became aware of Michael Gielen  more than 40 years ago, when I bought his (wonderful) recording of Moses und Aron on the Philips label (it was the soundtrack to the Straub & Huillet film of the opera, shichi only got to watch much later):

I was bowled over by the work (it was my first encounter with it, and I knew barely nothing by Schoenberg at the time), and still consider this one of the best recordings of it. Unfortunately, it’s only fleetingly been reissued on CD (first in a limited Philips pressing, and later on the budget Brilliant label—which is the one I have now).

(...)
Rest in piece.

Talk of a coincidence ! Same here... :o

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »
Talk of a coincidence ! Same here... :o
Les grands esprits....   ;)
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »
Besides his own conducting, I’ll remember Maestro Gielen in this particular context in the Schoenberg documentary contained on this DVD:

Gielen’s commentary on Schoenberg’s Fünf Orchesterstücke, Op. 16 remains, for me, quite enlightening and hugely informative. He gave me a whole new appreciation for it (not that I didn’t enjoy the work, but Gielen’s view on the work and his breakdown of each movement taught me a lot).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:30:47 PM by Mirror Image »
“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 02:35:54 PM »
I too only saw him once, in Frankfurt in 2006, conducting Schoenberg's Gurre-Lieder. Memorable.

Sarge

Fantastic!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline relm1

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
An exceptional conductor.  RIP Maestro!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:49 AM »
An exceptional conductor.  RIP Maestro!
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
Les grands esprits....   ;)

I was spoiled by that recording in LP format. When I switched to cd I had to look at alternatives (no Gielen then  :(), but none stood out. The usual bickering betwen pro et contra boulezians made me hesitate so much that over time my interest waned. I am now Mosesless...

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
I was spoiled by that recording in LP format. When I switched to cd I had to look at alternatives (no Gielen then  :(), but none stood out. The usual bickering betwen pro et contra boulezians made me hesitate so much that over time my interest waned. I am now Mosesless...

It may be time to re-Moses. ...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »
It may be time to re-Moses. ...

;D

I found the version I’ve been waiting for. I just need it to come to a reasonable price, now  ::). But that’s OK, I’m patient 😌

Offline Ainsi la nuit

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Absolutely one of my favourite conductors. A sharply intelligent musician with a wonderful no-nonsense approach to music-making. His wonderful recorded legacy will remain with us, fortunately...

His programming was always so interesting. Even in his recordings he combined standard symphonies with modernist masterpieces. Always thought-provoking, never just taking the easy path.

Just listened to his recording of Schoenberg's Von heute auf morgen, one of the few recordings of the piece available. RIP.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.