Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 44108 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #340 on: September 24, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »
We welcome all to the World of the great Karl Amadeus Hartmann!   :D    If you do not know all the symphonies yet, get ready to have your soul battered and fried!   0:)

I know, and love, all of the numbered symphonies, Cato! Also, Sinfonia Tragica, Symphonische Hymnen, Concerto funebre, Kammerkonzert, and Gesangsszene are favorites as well. 8) Hartmann has been a favorite of mine for several years now.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:16 AM »
No, but it always blows me away. That epilogue is just glorious marshalling of a huge orchestral juggernaut! Brilliantly bombastic and over-the-top!

Oddly, Symphonia domestica is my least favorite Strauss tone poem. Pretty much the only one which hasn't blown me away, apart from a couple of measures here and there.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #342 on: September 26, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
Hmm I thought I had heard everything by Steen-Andersen that is available on YouTube but I came across this wonderful little piece yesterday. Mesmerising indeed!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qQ7e4-4Tidc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qQ7e4-4Tidc</a>
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:05:46 AM by jessop »

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #343 on: September 26, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »
I have been very impressed by Selim Palmgren's Piano Concerto No.2 'The River', which I have posted about separately.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »
Marcel Tyberg, Symphony 3
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
John Ireland, various solo piano and chamber music works.
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music.. - Mozart

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
Have you heard the Piano Concerto, Andrei?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
Have you heard the Piano Concerto, Andrei?

I'll be listening to it and the Legend in about 10 minutes time.  :)
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music.. - Mozart

Parsifal

« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »

Yes, utterly beautiful stuff. I was directed to it years ago by our now mostly absent member Luke.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
The more I hear William Schuman’s Violin Concerto, the more I start feeling like it really is a masterpiece.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2017, 09:45:09 PM »
Malcolm Arnold's Symphony no. 9, in particular its unbearably poignant closing Lento, which is a clear homage to the finale of Mahler's 9th in its valedictory mood. After over 20 minutes of bleakness the movement finally comes to rest on a simple D major chord - very moving. Notice my avatar change :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »
Malcolm Arnold's Symphony no. 9, in particular its unbearably poignant closing Lento, which is a clear homage to the finale of Mahler's 9th in its valedictory mood. After over 20 minutes of bleakness the movement finally comes to rest on a simple D major chord - very moving. Notice my avatar change :)

Looks like you liked Arnold’s 9th, Kyle. ;) I think that Lento movement could be considered an homage to Mahler’s 9th, but I also feel that the composer expressed something that went deeper beyond it being a mere homage. This movement has a lifetime of pain and suffering inside of it and as I mentioned before it was as Arnold was throwing in the towel and bidding farewell to the world as he once knew it. In a sense, I’m reminded of Schnittke’s Symphony No. 8 as well given that the centerpiece of this symphony was also a Lento that drips with eeriness, has an emotional calm about it, and, like the Arnold’s 9th, is the longest movement of the symphony.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:43:31 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
Looks like you liked Arnold’s 9th, Kyle. ;) I think that Lento movement could be considered an homage to Mahler’s 9th, but I also feel that the composer expressed something that went deeper beyond it being a mere homage. This movement has a lifetime of pain and suffering inside of it and as I mentioned before it was as Arnold was throwing in the towel and bidding farewell to the world as he once knew it. In a sense, I’m reminded of Schnittke’s Symphony No. 8 as well given that the centerpiece of this symphony was also a Lento that drips with eeriness, has an emotional calm about it, and, like the Arnold’s 9th, is the longest movement of the symphony.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the finale of Arnold's 9th is nothing more than a mere homage to Mahler's 9th. It's incredibly deep and personal music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
The more I hear William Schuman’s Violin Concerto, the more I start feeling like it really is a masterpiece.

That may well be, but I reserve His Masterpiece, i.e. singular from his entire oeuvre, for this concertante work:
Song of Orpheus. (fantasy for 'Cello and orchestra)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E3FdppWLMJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E3FdppWLMJQ</a>

Best regards.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:05:57 PM by Monsieur Croche »
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
That may well be, but I reserve His Masterpiece, i.e. singular from his entire oeuvre, for this concertante work:
Song of Orpheus. (fantasy for 'Cello and orchestra)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E3FdppWLMJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E3FdppWLMJQ</a>

Best regards.

I really should revisit that Schuman work. It’s been ages since I’ve heard it.

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
« Reply #355 on: October 02, 2017, 05:21:10 AM »
Zemlinsky's "Die Seejungfrau".
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #356 on: October 02, 2017, 05:53:29 AM »
Arnold 9 does take a bit of getting used to, with its sparsity and all. It's a truly remarkable statement from a man who was at the end of his life, despite living for another 20 years after its composition.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #357 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:25 AM »
Zemlinsky's "Die Seejungfrau".

A wonderful piece to be sure. It should be played as often as Strauss' tone poems IMO, as it contains some of the most gorgeous orchestration I've ever heard.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »
Arnold 9 does take a bit of getting used to, with its sparsity and all. It's a truly remarkable statement from a man who was at the end of his life, despite living for another 20 years after its composition.

Yes, but those last 20 years were plagued by failing mental health, so he really wasn’t ‘present’ in his later years.

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
A wonderful piece to be sure. It should be played as often as Strauss' tone poems IMO, as it contains some of the most gorgeous orchestration I've ever heard.

Agreed. The orchestration was amazing.

- Victor Hugo