Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 22382 times)

Offline Xenophanes

Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
One of the biggest mistake a newbie makes is starting a thread that already exists.  So I checked this out so I hope this a new idea

My music library is based on breath instead of depth.  Instead of fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth I would prefer to have fifty recordings of different symphonies. 

Since I am always on the lookout for new composers and music one of my favorite threads in another forum is "Pieces that have blown you away recently".  This is a thread where a person can post their experiences with a new work they have never heard before or a new composer.

This would not be a thread for a person who already has fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth and he just acquired his fifty-first.  This thread is for a person who had never heard Beethoven's Fifth and his initial exposure to it was awesome.

I will start by talking about recent discovery for me.

I subscribe to the BBC Music Magazine.  One of the there CD's had some piano music of Ravel and Faure.  I am not a fan of Faure.  When the Faure train left the station I was not on it.  This recording of some of his barcarolles and nocturnes blew me away.  :)

Sibelius, Luonnotar ----- sopranos: Mattila, Isokoski, Bryn-Julson, Soederstrom

I had heard Luonnotar before, but I recently really began to look into the text and I listened to some really stunning recordings of this piece, which must be some of the most demanding music for soprano.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
Violin Sonata No. 1 is a good follow up.  Shaham & Erez are very good.

And to make it a triptych from this same emotional landscape (with the Piano Quintet No. 1), add the String Quartet No. 2:

Excellent performance and recording from the Pro Arte Quartet and Laurel Records.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    You
« Reply #382 on: Today at 03:47:35 AM »
The main theme of Beethoven's 21st sonata keeps getting stuck in my head all the goddamn time  >:(

::)

:D
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK