Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 25376 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Eduard Tubin (1905 - 1982)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of the Night Herdsmen and Satanists
Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #440 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:52 PM »
Boris Tchaikovsky - Sebastopol Symphony and The Wind of Siberia

Excellent music! Those pieces are magnificent, great, which deserve more spread.

Absolutely! I’ve been singing praises for this Boris Tchaikovsky recording on GMG for years. Sebastopol Symphony is too personal for me to play too often. There’s something about it that I just find so haunting and it, for whatever reason, brings a flood of memories back to me. I almost love the other two works, Music for Orchestra and The Wind of Siberia, just as much.
“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” - Tchaikovsky

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Absolutely! I’ve been singing praises for this Boris Tchaikovsky recording on GMG for years. Sebastopol Symphony is too personal for me to play too often. There’s something about it that I just find so haunting and it, for whatever reason, brings a flood of memories back to me. I almost love the other two works, Music for Orchestra and The Wind of Siberia, just as much.

Nice to know you are a big fan of B. Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with those works, especially Sebastopol. It's really engaging. I'm not sure whether Boris intended to create a descriptive symphony, anyway I could perceive ship horns, those busy activities of docks, etc. I found quite fascinating all of that work represents.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Eduard Tubin (1905 - 1982)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of the Night Herdsmen and Satanists
« Reply #442 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
Nice to know you are a big fan of B. Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with those works, especially Sebastopol. It's really engaging. I'm not sure whether Boris intended to create a descriptive symphony, anyway I could perceive ship horns, those busy activities of docks, etc. I found quite fascinating all of that work represents.

Indeed. 8) I must revisit this recording soon.
“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” - Tchaikovsky

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #443 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
On the way home from band rehearsal we were listening to Ferdinand Ries' Seventh Symphony.  I carpool to rehearsal with another musician.  A few years ago he and I performed one of Ries' piano concertos.  We were very impressed with the symphony.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #444 on: October 16, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
On the way home from band rehearsal we were listening to Ferdinand Ries' Seventh Symphony.  I carpool to rehearsal with another musician.  A few years ago he and I performed one of Ries' piano concertos.  We were very impressed with the symphony.

Ries' symphonies are pretty good actually. Unfortunately, I don't know the concertos. I have them, though. You encouraged me to listen to them when time allows me.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK