Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 28220 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the horizon
Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #440 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:52 PM »
Boris Tchaikovsky - Sebastopol Symphony and The Wind of Siberia

Excellent music! Those pieces are magnificent, great, which deserve more spread.

Absolutely! I’ve been singing praises for this Boris Tchaikovsky recording on GMG for years. Sebastopol Symphony is too personal for me to play too often. There’s something about it that I just find so haunting and it, for whatever reason, brings a flood of memories back to me. I almost love the other two works, Music for Orchestra and The Wind of Siberia, just as much.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Absolutely! I’ve been singing praises for this Boris Tchaikovsky recording on GMG for years. Sebastopol Symphony is too personal for me to play too often. There’s something about it that I just find so haunting and it, for whatever reason, brings a flood of memories back to me. I almost love the other two works, Music for Orchestra and The Wind of Siberia, just as much.

Nice to know you are a big fan of B. Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with those works, especially Sebastopol. It's really engaging. I'm not sure whether Boris intended to create a descriptive symphony, anyway I could perceive ship horns, those busy activities of docks, etc. I found quite fascinating all of that work represents.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #442 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
Nice to know you are a big fan of B. Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with those works, especially Sebastopol. It's really engaging. I'm not sure whether Boris intended to create a descriptive symphony, anyway I could perceive ship horns, those busy activities of docks, etc. I found quite fascinating all of that work represents.

Indeed. 8) I must revisit this recording soon.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #443 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
On the way home from band rehearsal we were listening to Ferdinand Ries' Seventh Symphony.  I carpool to rehearsal with another musician.  A few years ago he and I performed one of Ries' piano concertos.  We were very impressed with the symphony.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #444 on: October 16, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
On the way home from band rehearsal we were listening to Ferdinand Ries' Seventh Symphony.  I carpool to rehearsal with another musician.  A few years ago he and I performed one of Ries' piano concertos.  We were very impressed with the symphony.

Ries' symphonies are pretty good actually. Unfortunately, I don't know the concertos. I have them, though. You encouraged me to listen to them when time allows me.

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #445 on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
Tubin's Symphony no. 2 The Legendary. See my post in the Tubin thread :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #446 on: October 20, 2017, 03:05:23 AM »
Sibelius - Humoresque for Violin and Orchestra in E-flat major, op. 89 / 3
Regele şi Patria!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #447 on: October 20, 2017, 04:31:17 AM »
Stravinsky's Les noces...I know I listened to this many years ago, but for some reason it didn't register. But now, it's quickly moving up for me as one of Stravinsky's greatest works.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #448 on: October 20, 2017, 04:37:19 AM »
Les noces! One of his greatest, for sure.

About 2 weeks ago I heard Primo Libro, a new a capella choral piece by James Weeks, director of EXAUDI in London.

Weeks used a microtonal scale with 31 notes to an octave, and then created major and minor triads using that scale -- ridiculously hard to sing, and definitely blew me away. I wrote about it here:

http://seenandheard-international.com/2017/10/vocalists-and-21st-century-microtones-in-a-crypt/

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #449 on: October 21, 2017, 02:00:52 AM »
Tubin's Symphony no. 2 The Legendary. See my post in the Tubin thread :)
I did. And hope you moved on to the Sixth in the meantime - his greatest, IMHO, and an impressive recording.  ;D
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline kyjo

« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
I did. And hope you moved on to the Sixth in the meantime - his greatest, IMHO, and an impressive recording.  ;D

I'll be checking out the 6th in due course :)

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #451 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »
I heard The Chairman Dances (Foxtrot for Orchestra) in concert Thursday night by the Carnegie-Mellon Philharmonic. Everything about it "blew me away," particularly the percussion people. I ordered both the Edo DeWaart and Simon Rattle versions the next day. Wish the CMP made recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbs7cUuk9z4
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:04:35 AM by Jay F »

Offline kyjo

« Reply #452 on: October 21, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
I heard The Chairman Dances (Foxtrot for Orchestra) in concert Thursday night by the Carnegie-Mellon Philharmonic. Everything about it "blew me away," particularly the percussion people. I ordered both the Edo DeWaart and Simon Rattle versions the next day. Wish the CMP made recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbs7cUuk9z4

Hey, I was playing in that concert! Glad you enjoyed it :) The Adams is such a fun piece, but it is stressful to count!

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #453 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Hey, I was playing in that concert! Glad you enjoyed it :) The Adams is such a fun piece, but it is stressful to count!
Thank you very much, kyjo, for the excellent performance.

Offline kyjo

« Reply #454 on: October 21, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
Thank you very much, kyjo, for the excellent performance.

:)

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #455 on: October 21, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
Just yesterday, Friedrich Gulda's Concerto for Cello and Wind Orchestra knocked my socks off.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1VgVBv9M-rc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1VgVBv9M-rc</a>

or

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cdxa4uJ1Wyo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cdxa4uJ1Wyo</a>
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:48:32 PM by Peter Power Pop »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #456 on: October 21, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »

I didn’t see you in the orchestra, Kyle. :-\

Edit: Okay, I see that Jay F has linked a completely different concert in his initial post.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:11:16 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #457 on: October 22, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
I didn’t you in the orchestra, Kyle. :-\

Edit: Okay, I see that Jay F has linked a completely different concert in his initial post.

I'm glad you posted, MI. Originally, I searched for "Chairman Dances" on youtube, and nothing came up for the CMU Philharmonic. I didn't realize they had videos on youtube until today; reading your post inspired me to search for "CMU Philharmonic." Here's the concert, beginning at 25:55. It starts with "The Chairman Dances," and includes Stravinsky's Violin Concerto and Brahms' Symphony No. 2 as well.

https://youtu.be/QCqQhAdiFK4?t=25m55s
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:42:20 AM by Jay F »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #458 on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
I'm glad you posted, MI. Originally, I searched for "Chairman Dances" on youtube, and nothing came up for the CMU Philharmonic. I didn't realize they had videos on youtube until today; reading your post inspired me to search for "CMU Philharmonic." Here's the concert, beginning at 25:55. It starts with "The Chairman Dances," and includes Stravinsky's Violin Concerto and Brahms' Symphony No. 2 as well.

https://youtu.be/QCqQhAdiFK4?t=25m55s

Very nice, Jay. Kudos for the link. 8)

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #459 on: October 26, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
Weber's Euryanthe. Can't believe my first reaction to this opera used to be meh.
"I am a shadowy reflection of you."

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK