Author Topic: Crudblud's Craptacular C(r)ompositions  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Rons_talking

Re: Crudblud's Craptacular C(r)ompositions
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
Hey everyone, the new thing is here. I was hoping to have it done by the end of October, but a week over ain't so bad. Hope y'all like it!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oyXw0NQV-qc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oyXw0NQV-qc</a>

P.S.: Downloads are coming, but following some awkwardness surrounding the continued hosting of archives at the usual location I am in the process of migrating the back catalogue to a new place. Stay tuned.

Hey, nice work! All of your work has  (to me) a sense of spontaneity to it, regardless of your macro-structure. I find that lacking in a lot of contemporary music but you've got it and it's good!  I also like the use of quotation and the space you give this work. Well done...

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
I'll apologize, a bit, though for not yet attending to Starlight Revue.  Woolly week at the office, Triad concerts this weekend, and my wife & I are getting ready to travel next week.
No need at all, Karl. You lead a full life, that's nothing to apologise for. Good luck with your concerts, and I hope the weather is good for your journey!

Hey, nice work! All of your work has  (to me) a sense of spontaneity to it, regardless of your macro-structure. I find that lacking in a lot of contemporary music but you've got it and it's good!  I also like the use of quotation and the space you give this work. Well done...
Thanks Ron! In this case a planned macrostructure may well have been the wellspring of spontaneity. Having the instrumentation grow and shrink and otherwise change over course of the piece forced me to find ways of handling familiar instruments in often unfamiliar combinations, which I think kept the potential for surprise fairly high.

By the way, I messed up...

5. Quartet I: Harpsichord, bandoneon, Eng. horn, cello

There ain't no stinkin' cellos in that there quartet! 'Tis a marimba, plain as day! That's what I get for doing it from memory instead of using my notes. That one's a freebie: any other mistakes, I'll be hiding under my desk until we've all forgotten about them.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2017, 05:23:04 AM »
Cheers!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK