Author Topic: Crudblud's Craptacular C(r)ompositions  (Read 4276 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Crudblud's Craptacular C(r)ompositions
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
Good to see you at work!

Will check this out a little later . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
Just about completed a rough draft of what I think will be one of a "book" or "cycle" of short to medium length ensemble pieces. I'm not really sure yet.

Offline millionrainbows

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
Just to let you know, I have always gotten the Cazazza reference in your monicker. I remember a photo of him on Valentine's Day.

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:57 PM »
Just to let you know, I have always gotten the Cazazza reference in your monicker. I remember a photo of him on Valentine's Day.
A friend suggested it as a joke back in 2007. For whatever reason it stuck. I'm actually not that familiar with Monte Cazazza, but the connection amuses me nonetheless.

Offline millionrainbows

« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »
I notice that you are a fan of Zappa. How do you feel about rhythm? Do you like your music to be 'free' or within the grid of some rhythmic scheme? Most of it sounds very free rhythmically. I would think that in a computer environment, that adhering to some sort of rhythmic underpinning or grid would be always available for exploitation. What is your most 'rhythmic' work?

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »
I notice that you are a fan of Zappa. How do you feel about rhythm? Do you like your music to be 'free' or within the grid of some rhythmic scheme? Most of it sounds very free rhythmically. I would think that in a computer environment, that adhering to some sort of rhythmic underpinning or grid would be always available for exploitation. What is your most 'rhythmic' work?

It's really on a case by case basis. When I start composing a piece, I am looking for a "seed" idea, something that can generate material and fuel development of that material sufficient to create something substantial. Composition is done with reference and deference to that seed, I am always seeking out what is appropriate to it. Some ideas produce floating gestures that seem to exist independently of any overall sense of meter, while others may give rise to metric schemes and encourage or demand adherence to them.

If I'm understanding what you mean by "rhythmic", I think Frozen Bob's Estranged Wife is what you're looking for. It is very dance-oriented, and meter is generally quite strictly observed, probably because I tend to think more in terms of a beat when I use percussion (but not always). You may find Problem Zero relevant for similar reasons. They function quite well as companion pieces.

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
Here's one I made earlier. It was originally going to be a movement of something bigger but I capped it off and let it sit on its own. There is something big(ger) coming in the next month or two which is related to both this and the previous doodle, at least in instrumentation. As for this 'un, I was so proud of it that I gave it a really unique and memorable title.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UE-Q18Pz_tQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UE-Q18Pz_tQ</a>

Offline Rons_talking

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
I just listened to AEnglishman's Partyta and the work that follows (piano) on Bandcamp (I've never used it before), and the works are great! You have a strong sense of musical balance and micro-structure. The works are wild and intuitive. Keep on!

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
I just listened to AEnglishman's Partyta and the work that follows (piano) on Bandcamp (I've never used it before), and the works are great! You have a strong sense of musical balance and micro-structure. The works are wild and intuitive. Keep on!

Thank you, Ron! I'm currently struggling with the early stages of something big, and it is very hard going, your kind words are a real boost to my spirits.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK