Author Topic: Louis Couperin  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Louis Couperin
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 07:00:56 AM »
I see. But I like his Froberger. It's a total outlier among recordings. The Couperin sounds much more like what other great harpsichordists do. And it's unmistakably French in style (the music and his approach). But with Froberger, he doesn't try for much drama. The Froberger is so specific.

Maybe, I'm  not sure. Certainly the second LC is dramatic, the first I'm not sure, I don't like it so I never listen.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:40 AM »

Extremely sweet performances by Andrew Lawrence King. A part of the interest comes from the harp effects , highly contrasted timbres and textures and volumes. The harp can produce a teardrop tone which makes the Tombeau for Blancrocher verge on the maudlin, and this is sometimes melodramatically contrasted with rougher timbres. The liaison between notes is sometimes quite legato, producing a sing song effect. The sustain of the instrument shrouds everything in a warm glow.

Not really my cup of tea I don't think.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:58:59 AM by Mandryka »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
Extremely sweet performances by Andrew Lawrence King. A part of the interest comes from the harp effects , highly contrasted timbres and textures and volumes. The harp can produce a teardrop tone which makes the Tombeau for Blancrocher verge on the maudlin, and this is sometimes melodramatically contrasted with rougher timbres. The liaison between notes is sometimes quite legato, producing a sing song effect. The sustain of the instrument shrouds everything in a warm glow.

Not really my cup of tea I don't think.

The conclusion is what I expected.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2018, 06:46:38 AM »

This is van Asperen’s first Louis Couperin CD. I think it is particularly well recorded on an attractive Dutch instrument; the three cds on Aeolus all use French harpsichords. He moves the music forward, but without preventing us from savouring the resonances and colours of the instrument. His style is full of contrasts of mood and tone and touch and texture. Asperen always plays here with great vitality, and at his best there’s a tremendous feeling of jubilation. The performances are “wide awake”, there’s not a sense of the oneiric. There is often a sense of intense focus, the feeling of a man really engaged with getting to the bottom of the poetry in the music - this is an Asperen gift which I very much admire - it’s one of his main strengths as a musician IMO. His approach makes the playing sound effortless, but no one could say he’s distant. Altogether a great recording despite the unidiomatic harpsichord.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:51:05 AM by Mandryka »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 02:03:41 AM »
this is interesting.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 06:39:31 AM »
this is interesting.

I thought his Chopin mazurkas were OK, light and fresh.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »
this is interesting.

Louis Couperin on piano? What for?
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Louis Couperin on piano? What for?
I wonder how many ways a young pianist can distinguish themselves these days? Maybe some will say there's always room for more Chopin but the field is pretty crowded.