Author Topic: Pauline Oliveros  (Read 1097 times)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Pauline Oliveros
« on: October 15, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
What do you think of her music?

Here is an interesting article from a few years back in The Guardian, the article has more to say on about her ideas since the 80s than her earlier works, but it's worth a read: https://www.theguardian.com/music/tomserviceblog/2012/may/07/guide-contemporary-music-pauline-oliveros

There is a link in that to something I have only been more aware of recently and that is the idea of the 'Expanded Instrument System' which has been incorporated in a terrific piece of hers called 'Sound Geometries' which I urge anyone who has an interest in music which combines electronics with acoustic instruments to hear.

This is also a brilliant compilation of some of her earlier electronic works:

Offline Crudblud

Re: Pauline Oliveros
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 01:12:02 AM »
Oliveros' Crone Music is wonderful. Looking forward to checking out Sound Geometries.

PotashPie

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »
I've always admired her electronic works. Recently I got this one, and was surprised. Called "Deep Listening," they (with Stuart Dempster) go into a chamber with a long echo…it reminds me of this time when I went inside a large oil storage tank, and the echo was incredible. This is like that. A very long, natural echo. It might strike some as "new age-y," but I see it as her 60s legacy of spirituality. All music is traced back to a drone anyway.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:40:43 PM by Foomsbah »

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »
'Deep listening' is I think a musical process for Oliveros which she advocates in listening, performing, improvising etc.

snyprrr

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
That's A Man, Baby!! ???

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Pauline Oliveros has died
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Sad news today: Pauline Oliveros died on Wednesday morning -- from the early reports I'm hearing, peacefully, in her sleep. She gave me one of my first contemporary music experiences, around 1970, when the Dallas Symphony Orchestra's GAMUT new music series presented one of her early works, Theatre Piece (1966), with trombonist Stuart Dempster climbing around a piano, and also using candles, funnels, trombone mouthpieces, and garden hoses and sprinklers. Fast-forward to the last few years, when the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) worked closely with her on a number of interesting projects.

EDIT: Here is the first performance of Theatre Piece, with Dempster, taped in San Francisco:

https://archive.org/details/OliverosTheatrePiece

--Bruce
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:10:20 PM by Brewski »
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »
Very sad to hear this. She has been a wonderful composer and has an extraordinary and extraordinarily interesting output. Tonight I'll be listening to her works.

Two pioneers in electroacoustic music have departed in the last week.