Author Topic: Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.  (Read 2503 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.
« on: October 31, 2016, 03:20:07 AM »
I'd be interested to know your recommendation for the above. I don't listen to that much Schubert but I like this work and wonder what your favourite recorded version is.
Thanks in advance as always.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Heck148

Re: Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:11:18 AM »
I'd be interested to know your recommendation for the above.

Toscanini/NBC - AT's way with Schubert is very muscular, powerful...plus he observes the Allegro moderato, not the so-often-heard, "Andante con rubato schmalzando" that disfigures this music. Toscanini drives it forward, with powerful phrasing, and excellent long-line momentum.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:14:51 AM »
Toscanini/NBC - AT's way with Schubert is very muscular, powerful...plus he observes the Allegro moderato, not the so-often-heard, "Andante con rubato schmalzando" that disfigures this music. Toscanini drives it forward, with powerful phrasing, and excellent long-line momentum.
Very many thanks - will look out for that one.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:53:09 AM »
Klemperer is "massive" and somewhat severe but also remarkably fleet in the first movement (and observes the repeat). C. Kleiber is on the fleet side as well.
In many readings the two movements seem in a rather similar tempo as the common tempo for the first movement is very broad and not all conserve the contrast by broadening the andante (which should be rather fluent as well and even has a few almost dance-like passages) to a standstill.

I think it is also worthwhile to hear a "completed" version (with completed scherzo and Rosamunde entr'acte, recorded by Mackerras and others although it is not completely convincing.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 06:17:05 AM »
Lots of options, few of them bad, but not really many great ones either. I'd suggest Sinopoli or Wand/Berlin as a starting point. I believe Sinopoli takes the repeat (don't remember with Wand). Wand actually has several - I was thinking of the live version on RCA label.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »
Lots of options, few of them bad, but not really many great ones either. I'd suggest Sinopoli or Wand/Berlin as a starting point. I believe Sinopoli takes the repeat (don't remember with Wand). Wand actually has several - I was thinking of the live version on RCA label.

For that matter Sinopoli has at least two (Philharmonia and Dresden).

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:27:05 AM »
It's hard not to keep returning to Carlos Kleiber. I have all the others mentioned here, but the very subtle rubato makes for such a natural flow, the whole thing just kind of creeps up on you and draws you in.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steve Hackett (1950 -)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, IQ, Ozric Tentacles, Transatlantic, Björk
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 07:31:54 AM »
I'd be interested to know your recommendation for the above. I don't listen to that much Schubert but I like this work and wonder what your favourite recorded version is.
Thanks in advance as always.  :)

Bernstein's on Columbia (Sony) is my favorite even though it's almost on the verge of being Mahlerian, grotesque, and completely un-Schubertian. :) Love it anyway...warts and all. I haven't heard Bernstein's DG remake, so I may have to check that out at some point.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:36:36 AM by Mirror Image »
“I think that a song, when it works, never mind a piece of long form music, even a song is something that speaks to itself but has a language all of its own, ideally.” - Steve Hackett

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
Gosh, so many recommendations! Thank very much to you all. The Toscanini is very expensive so I'll be guided by budget as well as performances.
Thanks again.  :)

Added later:

I ordered this due to the price and coupling, although I will look out for the others too.

Bernstein, Wand, Klemperer and Kleiber all sound worth investigating. All conductors I admire although I know less of Kleiber than the others.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:59:49 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:58:20 AM »
If you are not totally averse to used copies, you can get the Toscanini used on the amazon marketplace from ca. 3 GBP as a single disc of the RCA AT edition or about 8 GBP in a newer twofer (with Mendelssohn). Note that these seem the same recordings of the Unfinished, but in different remasterings/issues. I do not know if the "Immortal" series is considered an improvement vs. the older issues. (My hunch is that the differences are marginal.)

There are countless recordings; it must be one of the most frequently recorded classical pieces...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:05:35 AM by Jo498 »
(Bob Dylan)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »
If you are not totally averse to used copies, you can get the Toscanini used on the amazon marketplace from ca. 3 GBP as a single disc of the RCA AT edition or about 8 GBP in a newer twofer (with Mendelssohn).

There are countless recordings; it must be one of the most frequently recorded classical pieces...
Oh gosh, I could only see it for about £300  :o
I may get this as well. Thank you.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
Gosh, so many recommendations! Thank very much to you all. The Toscanini is very expensive so I'll be guided by budget as well as performances.

Added later:

I ordered this due to the price and coupling, although I will look out for the others too.

Bernstein, Wand, Klemperer and Kleiber all sound worth investigating. All conductors I admire although I know less of Kleiber than the others.

That's my very first owned-by-myself vinyl LP!
30 years ago or so....

:)

I went home, listened to the 'Unvollendete' and was mesmerized.
Although, of this particular Sinopoli album, right now I might prefer his reading of Mendelssohn's 'Italienische'.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »
That's my very first owned-by-myself vinyl LP!
30 years ago or so....

:)

I went home, listened to the 'Unvollendete' and was mesmerized.
Although, of this particular Sinopoli album, right now I might prefer his reading of Mendelssohn's 'Italienische'.
How interesting! A good omen I think.  :)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
For some reason both of the Sinopoli covers feature the "Italian" landscape symphony in favor of the Schubert...
(Bob Dylan)

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »

You need to remedy that. Which isn't hard because once past his apprenticeship years, Carlos Kleiber had a tiny active repertoire, so his official recorded output is easily surveyed. But everything he touched was gold.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 04:44:56 PM »

Added later:

That's the one I meant. I hope you like it....
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »
If you are not totally averse to used copies, you can get the Toscanini used on the amazon marketplace from ca. 3 GBP as a single disc of the RCA AT edition or about 8 GBP in a newer twofer (with Mendelssohn). Note that these seem the same recordings of the Unfinished, but in different remasterings/issues. I do not know if the "Immortal" series is considered an improvement vs. the older issues. (My hunch is that the differences are marginal.)

If the LvB symphonies and the Verdi Requiem are anything to go by the Immortal series are a significant sonic improvement on the AT series. I have the LvB and my only regret is that they used the 1953 Eroica recording instead of his 1949 version which I consider to be superior.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:23:19 PM by Holden »
Cheers

Holden

Offline Heck148

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 07:18:28 PM »
....my only regret is that they used the 1953 Eroica recording instead of his 1949 version which I consider to be superior.

Agreed - '53 is very good, but '49 is one of the greatest ever of this masterwork.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »
I really love this one:

(not the same as the one in his later Schubert cycle.)

Then there's this, already mentioned

Finally there is this one

This 1965 recording just blows my mind, in the way Karajan controls the orchestral timbre to create an otherworldly string sound in various crucial passages.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
For some reason both of the Sinopoli covers feature the "Italian" landscape symphony in favor of the Schubert...
Although isn't the painting of the one I bought of Goethe? It looks like he is in an Italian landscape too.

I can see that I'm going to have to build up a collection of different recordings of Schubert's Unfinished Symphony! Thanks for all the recommendations.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:34:33 PM by vandermolen »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK