Author Topic: Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.  (Read 3394 times)

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
Re: Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 07:01:16 AM »
About 20, I could have overlooked one; it is an absurd number considering that I never really collected the piece on purpose...

As is common with warhorses, they find their way into box sets of all sorts and you just wind up with a boat load of them...

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
As is common with warhorses, they find their way into box sets of all sorts and you just wind up with a boat load of them...

Especially relatively short warhorses that can be used as filler material.  ;)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »
About half of mine are in boxes, but two of them are boxes with Schubert symphonies only.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »
What recordings do people own?

I have no favourite, but consider the Marriner set to be mainly for completists though:

- Mengelberg,CtGeb 1942 & 1939 (?)
- Abendroth,Leipzig (1950)
- Scherchen,Wiener StatsOper
- Szell,ClevelandSO
- Harnoncourt/CtGebouw
- Mravinsky,LeningradPO (1978)
- C.Kleiber,VPO (1979)
- Marriner,AcStM
I did get Philippe Jordan recording with the Wiener Symphoniker last year

motivated by the high resolution.  The sound and the interpretation are excellent.  However, I was hoping to get the three dimensional sound rendition of a concert Hall, and on that count, this fell a bit short.  The other performance I have is C. Kleiber with the Vienna Philaharmonic, also musically excellent.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
i am so jaded by this piece i cant tell if it is good performance or bad.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
If you want something rather different, try Spering/op.111. It is by far the fastest recording I have heard and rather lean toned, so many will not find it dark or mysterious enough but it's consistent and achieves a dancing quality in the andante while keeping some tempo difference between the movements.
Whereas Brüggen (very slow in the first mvmt, not only compared to other HIPsters) takes both movements almost at the same tempo, only slightly slower in the andante.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
I did get Philippe Jordan recording with the Wiener Symphoniker last year

motivated by the high resolution.  The sound and the interpretation are excellent.  However, I was hoping to get the three dimensional sound rendition of a concert Hall, and on that count, this fell a bit short.  The other performance I have is C. Kleiber with the Vienna Philaharmonic, also musically excellent.
I HATE when they call the last 2 symphonies 7 and 8.

BTW why does the backcover say MUSIKVEREIN? Doesn't the Vienna Symphoniker play at the Konzert Haus?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:50:20 PM by PerfectWagnerite »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
[...]
BTW why does the backcover say MUSIKVEREIN? Doesn't the Vienna Symphoniker play at the Konzert Haus?
[...]

Aufnahmeort: Musikverein Wien, 15. /16. November 2014 („Unfinished“)
Musikverein Wien, 11./12. April 2015 („The Great“)

http://www.wienersymphoniker.at/Home/Service-Kontakt/Presse/Presseaussendungen/Franz-Schubert
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 06:56:39 AM »

They regularly play there. When I visited Vienna I heard them in the Musikverein.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
This one does it for me, Schubert being early romantic, there should be in the playing manner much of what we associate with 'classical' delivery -- no schmaltzing about, clarity, and this one has an unstoppable continuum of forward motion in the way of its rhythmic drive.  Too, it is performed by an orchestra with about the number of players it would have had when 'new.'

There is such a wide variance in recordings and deliveries that it somewhat proves out my theory that much great music, suffering stylistic faux pax or entire misses, still comes through to the listener and is somewhat "indestructible."

Chamber orchestra of Europe, Maestro Abbado at the helm....
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TSMsKW2gCHY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TSMsKW2gCHY</a>

Enjoy.

Best regards
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
Well, my second-hand copies of the DGG Kleiber and Sinopoli versions arrived today and I have enjoyed both enormously. I marginally prefer the Sinopoli which is about five minutes longer than the Kleiber version and projects a rather 'darker' image, especially at the start. My favourite section, at the end of the first movement goes brilliantly in both versions and I'm delighted to have two rather different performances. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bruckner, Bach, Handel, Beethoven
Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2017, 04:32:42 AM »
As each year rolls by, I've come to love Newbould's completion of the 8th - it sounds convincing to my ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2017, 04:57:05 AM »
The "completion" is also far less of a stretch than many others. The "finale" is a complete piece by Schubert and there is even a plausible hypothesis that the movement had been composed by Schubert as a finale to the b minor fragment and only later ended up in the incidental music. (Even if this hypothesis is wrong, the movement is nevertheless all original Schubert.)
The scherzo was sketched to a considerable extent to Newbould only had to complete and orchestrate the scherzo. As the scherzo usually is the simplest and most predictable movement not as daunting a task as e.g. completing the finale of the "Reliquie" D 840.
(Bob Dylan)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK