Author Topic: Recordings of Mahler's 3rd  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
Re: Recordings of Mahler's 3rd
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »
My favorite (as usual) is Bernstein's CBS recording, followed closely by Abbado's Vienna recording (Jesse Norman is particularly fine). But I have recently become aware of Boulez' 3rd, and it is clearly a favorite now, too. I can hear things I've never heard before, and like very much now that I can hear them.

I like practically every other version I have heard. It's indestructible. The only versions I haven't liked were on LP, Solti and Horenstein, and I know I hated the surface noise on the Solti. I don't remember the Horenstein particularly.

Wow, another vote for Boulez. Must be a fine performance and I can certainly see where Boulez's clarity of textures would benefit Mahler's music.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »
The old Haitink / Conc'bouw from about 1966 has lasted really well with me.

I have a serious first recording bias for this version too.

Will have to revisit the Boulez based on all the praises...and buy the MP3 of the Horenstein on Amazon to finally give a go to this version.
Olivier

Offline KevinP

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
Also my favourite symphony by any composer, and it was since before I finished my first listen.

Dismiss me as part of the cult if you will, but Horenstein LSO for me.

Online Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »
I have spent the past two days listening to nothing but Mahler No. 3. It's always been a symphony of which I enjoy various interpretations. But, for whatever reason, Levine's doesn't land on my "like" pile. It may be the sound quality. I didn't like another, more modern recording either, though, (Pittsburgh SO, Manfred Honeck). I wasn't crazy about Tennstedt's EMI version, either, though I listen to it fairly often. It sounded last night as if he couldn't wait to get to the end, as if he's got a major pantload on (the last movement is 20 minutes long, v. 26 and 25 elsewhere).

I continue to want to listen to my imprint versions, Bernstein/Sony and Abbado/Vienna, but I'm not rigid about it the way I am with Bernstein's CBS Sixth. I also like Salonen's and Michael Tilson-Thomas' versions of the Third, both of which I discovered around the turn of the century. And I'm going to keep listening to others, including Levine's.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:28:08 PM by Jay F »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »
I have spent the past two days listening to nothing but Mahler No. 3. It's always been a symphony of which I enjoy various interpretations. But, for whatever reason, Levine's doesn't land on my "like" pile. It may be the sound quality. I didn't like another, more modern recording either, though, (Pittsburgh SO, Manfred Honeck). I wasn't crazy about Tennstedt's EMI version, either, though I listen to it fairly often. It sounded last night as if he couldn't wait to get to the end, as if he's got a major pantload on (the last movement is 20 minutes long, v. 26 and 25 elsewhere).

I continue to want to listen to my imprint versions, Bernstein/Sony and Abbado/Vienna, but I'm not rigid about it the way I am with Bernstein's CBS Sixth. I also like Salonen's and Michael Tilson-Thomas' versions of the Third, both of which I discovered around the turn of the century. And I'm going to keep listening to others, including Levine's.

Yes, I agree that the Levine recording's audio quality leaves much to be desired, which is why I could never recommend it above other favorites: Bernstein (DG), Haitink (Concertgebouw), Chailly, and Abbado (Wiener). I need to listen to Boulez's. What do you think of Boulez's 3rd, Jay?
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 08:40:37 PM »
I'm not familiar with many recordings but two i enjoy a lot are

Solti/Chicago
Boulez/Vienna

Online Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 09:12:25 PM »
Yes, I agree that the Levine recording's audio quality leaves much to be desired, which is why I could never recommend it above other favorites: Bernstein (DG), Haitink (Concertgebouw), Chailly, and Abbado (Wiener). I need to listen to Boulez's. What do you think of Boulez's 3rd, Jay?

I'm going to listen to it again. I remember liking it, but I haven't had it for a long time.

Online Turner

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Should I grab one now, I´d go for Rögner, which is good, and his 4th mov. has a very special atmosphere (cf. 2:00).
EDIT: Well, I did.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:53:54 AM by Turner »

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »
I'm not familiar with many recordings but two i enjoy a lot are
Solti/Chicago
Boulez/Vienna

Wow, another vote for Boulez.

Just had a listen.  Great-sounding recording, but doesn't for me displace Bernstein/NYPO (which is also a very good recording for its age).  Although the vocal movements would never be a deal-breaker for me either way, I love Martha Lipton's deadpan delivery with Bernstein.  Von Otter by contrast sounds merely pretty.

Online Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
Just had a listen.  Great-sounding recording, but doesn't for me displace Bernstein/NYPO (which is also a very good recording for its age).  Although the vocal movements would never be a deal-breaker for me either way, I love Martha Lipton's deadpan delivery with Bernstein.  Von Otter by contrast sounds merely pretty.

I pretty much feel the same way. No matter how many good M3s there are, I always go back to Lenny's first recording.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
Currently, lapping up Tennstedt's live 3rd on the ICA Classics label. Simply gorgeous playing all-around. I don't know how this performance compares to his studio take, but I'd imagine it couldn't be much better.

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 12:07:47 PM »
I rather like this one with Eschenbach and the Orch. Paris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URaU9rDwcZw

Wonderful details and powerful brass.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
I very much like the versions by Rögner, Haitink (both the CSO and the RCOA), Horenstein (the commercial recording, not the live one) and, for something different, Goldschmidt with the Philharmonia.

Boulez is excellent in his Vienna recording (fabulous playing), but he fails to raise my temperature. Both Bernstein recordings are excellent, as is Chailly, too. But they must defer to the others I mention (for me, that is).

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Bruckner, Bach, Handel, Beethoven
Recordings of Mahler's 3rd
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 09:28:25 AM »
Currently, lapping up Tennstedt's live 3rd on the ICA Classics label. Simply gorgeous playing all-around. I don't know how this performance compares to his studio take, but I'd imagine it couldn't be much better.

I have a live Tennstedt Mahler 3 in my broadcast collection and it truly blows me away. It confirms the Mahler 3 is one of the most important works in the Western Classical literature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »
I have a live Tennstedt Mahler 3 in my broadcast collection and it truly blows me away. It confirms the Mahler 3 is one of the most important works in the Western Classical literature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it's the same performance as the one I own? But, yes, it's a magnificent performance.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »
I think his Sixth is a pretty great recording, but then again, Boulez's critics have always seemed way off in their take to me.  I don't hear the mechanical sterile Boulez; his Mahler sounds vital and flexible to me.

I would second the recommendation of his Third, and I'll throw in Haitink's more recent one and Tennstedt as well.
Shrill is the word that comes to mind when I think of Boulez and Mahler. I've yet to hear anything I like, but then I haven't heard the third either.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Bruckner, Bach, Handel, Beethoven
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »

This impressive M3 is one of my favorites too. The last three movements are so rich and devotional, radiant with peace, mystery and joy.  I like the sudden turn into spirituality during the last three movements, more obvious than I'm used to hearing in this work, outlined in the tempos and soaring transparency in the execution of the Vienna Phil. Orch., especially in the strings.  In particular I love the final chord, which seems to hang on forever, but I love the whole way the ending is played...it is not like other recordings, it is more reflective than I'm used to...which is wonderful and fits the concept of the whole performance.  Bravo to Jesse Norman for such profound singing here, deep and thougthful.

I resisted buying the Abbado VPO M3 for years, because the opinions I had read complained about certain aspects of sound, or the slowness of the finale.  But I discovered this M3 to be incredible, and it has a unique sound too (not an audiophile experience, but a pleasing recording full of great detail).  The first movement is among the wildest and most confrontational I've ever heard.  It soars, it growls and swirls, and then the enchanted quieter moments are captured with presence and atmosphere in the interesting production (not to everyones taste obviously)...indeed it is one of my favorite Mahler recordings in my whole collection.

Online Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »

This impressive M3 is one of my favorites too. The last three movements are so rich and devotional, radiant with peace, mystery and joy.  I like the sudden turn into spirituality during the last three movements, more obvious than I'm used to hearing in this work, outlined in the tempos and soaring transparency in the execution of the Vienna Phil. Orch., especially in the strings.  In particular I love the final chord, which seems to hang on forever, but I love the whole way the ending is played...it is not like other recordings, it is more reflective than I'm used to...which is wonderful and fits the concept of the whole performance.  Bravo to Jesse Norman for such profound singing here, deep and thougthful.

I resisted buying the Abbado VPO M3 for years, because the opinions I had read complained about certain aspects of sound, or the slowness of the finale.  But I discovered this M3 to be incredible, and it has a unique sound too (not an audiophile experience, but a pleasing recording full of great detail).  The first movement is among the wildest and most confrontational I've ever heard.  It soars, it growls and swirls, and then the enchanted quieter moments are captured with presence and atmosphere in the interesting production (not to everyones taste obviously)...indeed it is one of my favorite Mahler recordings in my whole collection.

It's been my second favorite ever since I first heard Mahler (1988). If I could only have a very bare bones CD collection, I could easily live with just this and Lenny B on CBS.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:34:07 PM by Jay F »

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »

Great appraisal of a wonderful recording, LeoK! Thanks.

As I've mentioned before, its my "go to" Mahler 3rd, and is one of my favourte all-time Mahler recordings (along with Abbado's Fourth with thje VPO from the same cycle).
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Muchacho, no te metas en dibujos, sino haz lo que ese señor te manda: sigue tu canto llano y no te metas en contrapuntos, que se suelen quebrar de sotiles".

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »

Yep, a fantastic performance all-around, Leo. One of my favorites.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK