Author Topic: What TV series are you currently watching?  (Read 54261 times)

SonicMan46, ritter and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: What TV series are you currently watching?
« Reply #860 on: November 19, 2017, 02:01:52 AM »
Oops, How's Annie then?  :laugh:

I was more worried about Audrey. :P

Didn't realize you hadn't seen it....well you're in for the greatest (and perhaps polarizing, depends how you take it) experience of your life...... hope you enjoy it 8) I'm still buzzing over it

I don't mind 'knowing' about the quote... after all, what's a Lynch without a cigarette lighter?
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #861 on: November 19, 2017, 06:49:50 AM »
Oops, How's Annie then?  :laugh:

Didn't realize you hadn't seen it....well you're in for the greatest (and perhaps polarizing, depends how you take it) experience of your life...... hope you enjoy it 8) I'm still buzzing over it
It was AMAZING!

Offline ludwigii

• My collection on Discogs (in progress)
  • Currently Listening to:
    J.S. Bach
« Reply #862 on: November 19, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
Each and every autumn, I want to see me some episodes of Heimat.
Germany in the 20th century, and the viewer is taken by the hand by members of the Simon family, living in a fictional village called Schabbach (Hunsrück, Germany).
They have to deal with local issues, world wars and family problems. One of them ("Hermännchen" = little Hermann) goes to Munich, to study music at the Conservatory. But it's not easy to really break away from his 'Heimat' (homeland).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff11q5_mlE0

It's just great. It really is.
Lots of great music, too.

One of my favorite movies is exactly episode 9 of the first series, entitled Hermännchen, a memorable masterpiece  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:03:34 PM by ludwigii »
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Offline Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
« Reply #863 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #864 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:20 AM »

Watching Babylon Berlin, allegedly the most expensive TV production ever in Germany. The first "season" of 8 chapters is finished, and we're up to (at least, here in Spain) to chapter 4 (of a total of 8 ) of the second.

It's a story of political and criminal intrigue set in late 1920s Berlin, based on a series of novels by Volker Kutscher. The sets, costumes and general production values are first-rate, and so is the acting IMHO. The atmosphere of Berlin at the time (hyperinflation is gone, and the 1929 stock market crash has not yet happened) is very well presented, alternating between the carefree partying of the jazz age and the squalor in which some of the characters live. The storyline is gripping, although it becomes a bit sketchy at times.

Great fun!  :)

Here's the English-language trailer:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j_qN5bFfOTE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j_qN5bFfOTE</a>
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:29:24 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #865 on: Today at 08:48:57 AM »

Watching Babylon Berlin, allegedly the most expensive TV production ever in Germany. The first "season" of 8 chapters is finished, and we're up to (at least, here in Spain) to chapter 4 (of a total of 8 ) of the second.

It's a story of political and criminal intrigue set in late 1920s Berlin, based on a series of novels by Volker Kutscher. The sets, costumes and general production values are first-rate, and so is the acting IMHO. The atmosphere of Berlin at the time (hyperinflation is gone, and the 1929 stock market crash has not yet happened) is very well presented, alternating between the carefree partying of the jazz age and the squalor in which some of the characters live. The storyline is gripping, although it becomes a bit sketchy at times.

Great fun!  :)

Here's the English-language trailer:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j_qN5bFfOTE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j_qN5bFfOTE</a>

I've started watching it as well (first two episodes). I think it's terrific. I thought that the sets (and music) were amazing so that it did not surprise me that it was the most-expensive non'English speaking TV series ever made. There is a great sense of impending catastrophe (it's set in 1929 Berlin) and it captures the atmosphere of the end-stage Weimar Republic very well (IMHO). The acting is great. It is very 'Film Noir' which is a genre I enjoy. It reminds me a bit of the novels of Phillip Kerr ('Berlin Noir'). It is quite dark but I find it really gripping and am glad to have discovered it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK