Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 930326 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #15720 on: March 24, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
I did my taxes this morning.  I am enjoying a ~3.5 point drop in my net federal income tax rate compared to last year.  Thank you, Mr Trump!

And my tax rate was about the same, since I am in a relatively low income bracket that the GOP didn't seem to feel needed an actual tax cut.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #15721 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
What brought us Trump/Putin was a criminal regime in Russia finding their ill-gotten assets under threat after their murder of internal opponents (like Magnistky) led to international sanctions, and who then found it advantageous for these and other reasons to help elevate a clown to the U.S. presidency. The clown in question was beholden to them economically, actively seeking Kremlin approval for lucrative real estate deals throughout his campaign and beyond, not to mention illicit profits for laundering Russian money and for the Russians' possible backing of otherwise inexplicable billions loaned to him by Deutsche Bank (the backers also could have been Saudi, Emirate, etc.). Paul Manafort and two members of Trump's family helped Trump/Putin along by meeting to discuss the exchange of dirt on HRC for future relief from the Magnitsky Act. Michael Flynn continued these discussions with Russian operatives. Roger Stone conspired with the actors responsible for leaking the Hillary dirt. Meanwhile, Trump's top two campaign officials aided the Russian efforts directly by providing them with internal RNC polling data on key districts in swing states, which was then put to work in troll farms outside St. Petersburg and elsewhere. The Trump campaign officials have been indicted or jailed, along with their Russian collaborators, as have Michael Flynn and Roger Stone. These, among other indicted or convicted criminal associates of Donald Trump, brought us Trump/Putin. Trump helped to cover up their conspiracies.

Basil,  you're trying to persuade people with facts.  That doesn't work with people whose entire political agenda is based on denying facts.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15722 on: March 24, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
Fresh from the Amazon Post: Mueller did not find the Trump campaign conspired with Russia, attorney general says

Russia.

I guess there's always obstruction of justice, or something like that.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #15723 on: March 24, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Not enough evidence of obstruction apparently. Which makes one wonder how much more would be enough.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #15724 on: March 24, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »

Mueller found that none of the crimes amounted to the campaign conspiring with Russia. That's cool. I have no interest in seeing prosecutions where no crimes are found. Meanwhile prosecutions for Russia related crimes will continue as they have. Lying to investigators about Russia for money reasons is as illegal as lying about helping Russia rig an election. If more people in the Trump inner circle are indicted on adoption related crimes it will be small comfort that at least it didn't amount to the campaign doing it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #15725 on: March 24, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what a 3.5 point drop is, but I guess it's good, and I am glad for you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline lisa needs braces

• Veteran member
« Reply #15726 on: March 24, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
Basil,  you're trying to persuade people with facts.  That doesn't work with people whose entire political agenda is based on denying facts.

The fact is that the same political faction that insisted on shoving Hillary Clinton down people's throats have suffered another humiliating defeat.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #15727 on: March 24, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
The fact is that the same political faction that insisted on shoving Hillary Clinton down people's throats have suffered another humiliating defeat.

He's the same corrupt lying incompetent embarrassment this week that he was last week.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #15728 on: March 24, 2019, 04:41:45 PM »

I actually agree that Hillary was shoved down people's throats, but then again had she not been shoved down people's throats the campaign would have improved her skills as a candidate, or at least allowed room for an actual Democrat to run against her in place of Bernie.

But the Mueller report is a humiliating defeat for no one.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15729 on: March 24, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
But the Mueller report is a humiliating defeat for no one.

Of course it is.  It's a humiliating political defeat for Dems.  Dems will do their best to posture and misrepresent what happened, but after more than two years of drivel about collusion with Russia, it did end up being a nothingburger, and there are literally millions of worthless words available online demonstrating that fact.  Trump was right all along.  And now he has a nifty election issue.  I sincerely hope Dems are stupid enough to pursue obstruction seriously.  There is a very good chance that they are that stupid.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #15730 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:06 PM »

Of course it is.  It's a humiliating political defeat for Dems.  Dems will do their best to posture and misrepresent what happened, but after more than two years of drivel about collusion with Russia, it did end up being a nothingburger, and there are literally millions of worthless words available online demonstrating that fact.  Trump was right all along.  And now he has a nifty election issue.  I sincerely hope Dems are stupid enough to pursue obstruction seriously.  There is a very good chance that they are that stupid.

The report says no member of Team Trump knowingly co-operated with Russian attempts at outreach.

So No Collusion simply means "we were a bunch of naifs and idiots who couldn't figure out we were being played by Russia."
Not an inspiring strategy.
Of course Trump won't say it that way but Trump's love of truth is well established.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #15731 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
Not enough evidence of obstruction apparently. Which makes one wonder how much more would be enough.

Obstruction was never really chargeable in this case. It would have required knowing what Trump was thinking at the time, and mindreaders are not allowed to give evidence.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15732 on: March 24, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
The report says no member of Team Trump knowingly co-operated with Russian attempts at outreach.

So No Collusion simply means "we were a bunch of naifs and idiots who couldn't figure out we were being played by Russia."
Not an inspiring strategy.
Of course Trump won't say it that way but Trump's love of truth is well established.

That's an early attempt at spin, and not a good one.

Trump was right all along.

It'll be easy to portray Dems as suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome after over two years, and the longer they cling to their fantasies, the easier and easier it will become.  We need more Adam Schiffs and fewer Nancy Pelosis.

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #15733 on: March 24, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »

I’m going to wait to see what is actually written in the report, assuming that happens, before trying to predict what its overall impact and significance will be. We have no idea what is in it. It will be interesting to see if matters not yet public have been referred to other authorities for investigation. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:58:24 PM by BasilValentine »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15734 on: March 24, 2019, 05:59:04 PM »
I’m going to wait to see what is actually written in the report

Good for you.  That is meaningless.

We have no idea what is in it.

Of course we do.  The Attorney General wrote a summary.  That provides a very good idea of what is in it.

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #15735 on: March 24, 2019, 06:11:16 PM »

Of course we do.  The Attorney General wrote a summary.  That provides a very good idea of what is in it.

It might for those unburdened by imagination and curiosity. It is a summary of key findings. Key is subjective. 

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15736 on: March 24, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »
It might for those unburdened by imagination and curiosity. It is a summary of key findings. Key is subjective.

You contradict yourself.  You wrote "[w]e have no idea what is in it" and now this.  Words is hard.

Hopefully, this upcoming week provides enough information that you cannot possibly understand with your musicological understanding of the law so that you continue to live in your fantasy world.  You appear to be quite comfy there.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #15737 on: March 24, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »

There are a variety of other ongoing investigations into Crooked Donnie.

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #15738 on: March 24, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »

You contradict yourself.  You wrote "[w]e have no idea what is in it" and now this.  Words is hard.

Hopefully, this upcoming week provides enough information that you cannot possibly understand with your musicological understanding of the law so that you continue to live in your fantasy world.  You appear to be quite comfy there.

Summaries can be accurate, pertinent, well-conceived or not. My error was in not using quotation marks, as in: "A Summary of Key Findings." Very few in either party are content with a summary, which is why there is bi-partisan support for making the report public. Then we will know what is in it and to what extent that is reflected in the summary.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:29:21 PM by BasilValentine »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #15739 on: March 24, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »
There are a variety of other ongoing investigations into Crooked Donnie.

Sure are.  But the big one was a bust.  The others have to wait until Trump is out the White House to proceed, if there is even enough to act on.  And then if Dems take the White House and go after Trump, that will be an electoral gift to Republicans later on.  The biggest bonus of Dems pursuing politically motivated prosecutions of their political opponents is that the US could and hopefully will descend into an all out slugfest with both parties pursuing their opponents when the executive branch changes hands.  The possibilities for paralysis are breathtaking.

My error was in not using quotation marks

Your error is in not knowing what you are writing about.