Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 113605 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #2300 on: March 20, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »
IOW a marriage of convenience in which the partners heartily dislike each other, distrust each other and rancourously dispute every perceived slight or advantage the other has.

You disappoint me. You seem to be content with very little. Sad.

I've been clear for years that I think the existing global security system, especially with NATO at its core in the West, is outdated, suited for a different era and for a foe that is long gone, the current brouhahas over Russia notwithstanding.  I also have a far less positive view of European countries and the intentions of European leaders than you appear to possess.  That European leaders are taking no significant, concrete steps to build a truly material military capacity independent of the US indicates how content they are with current arrangements.  Huffs and puffs about Trump's perceived bad behavior will almost certainly change markedly when a more Euro-approved leader takes office in four or eight years.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Online Turner

« Reply #2301 on: March 21, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
Alexei Bayer:"When will Putin dump Trump?"

https://www.kyivpost.com/article/opinion/op-ed/alexei-bayer-will-putin-dump-trump.html?utm_content=bufferee765&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Some uncertainty at the end of the article - but suggests that embarrassing material regarding Trump could turn up from Russia later this year.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #2302 on: March 21, 2017, 02:40:42 AM »
I haven't been checking the news as much as usual just because it's kind of annoying to have to do on my phone instead of computer, but as far as I can tell Dems are going to just let Neil Gorsuch through with maybe not even a filibuster and Mark Meadows is making his brave principled stand for the cameras whilst probably still going to vote for the AHCA on Thursday like Trump wants him to. All signs point to America's "centuries old institutions" (or at least Congress) being basically useless where it comes to upholding democratic principles.

Like I do think Trump isn't going to end up being materially worse than George W. but that's a pretty low bar to set lmao.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #2303 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:53 AM »
I haven't been checking the news as much as usual just because it's kind of annoying to have to do on my phone instead of computer, but as far as I can tell Dems are going to just let Neil Gorsuch through with maybe not even a filibuster and Mark Meadows is making his brave principled stand for the cameras whilst probably still going to vote for the AHCA on Thursday like Trump wants him to. All signs point to America's "centuries old institutions" (or at least Congress) being basically useless where it comes to upholding democratic principles.

Like I do think Trump isn't going to end up being materially worse than George W. but that's a pretty low bar to set lmao.
You think they should prevent him from becoming a justice because he was nominated by Trump? Or you don't think he is qualified and therefore should prevent him joining the court at any cost?
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2304 on: March 21, 2017, 03:32:47 AM »
Pointedly apt headline:

[El Tupé] says Dems rushed Obamacare through Congress, as GOP prepares to rush repeal through Congress

Ayyup.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #2306 on: March 21, 2017, 03:39:42 AM »
In a nutshell (and I do mean nutshell):  “The longtime commentator and purveyor of conspiracy theories has a significant following.”
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2308 on: March 21, 2017, 06:29:06 AM »
I think the existing global security system, especially with NATO at its core in the West, is outdated, suited for a different era and for a foe that is long gone, the current brouhahas over Russia notwithstanding.

I beg to differ. Russia, as opposed to USA or indeed any other Western nation, has patience, a lot of patience in pursuing her goals, and a lot more cameleonic foreign policy. The foe is here to stay, in one guise or another, and the war is far from being won.

Otoh, I totally agree about the European leaders. Most of them are a bunch of irresponsible cowards.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:35:50 AM by Florestan »
The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.
- Mark Twain

Offline Catison

• Veteran member
  • Morty imagines "Organ, fog horn, cello, & kazoo"..
« Reply #2309 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:21 AM »
Pointedly apt headline:

[El Tupé] says Dems rushed Obamacare through Congress, as GOP prepares to rush repeal through Congress

Ayyup.

But the fact remains that Obama did push through the ACA through congress using some very questionable political maneuvering.  For me this set the precedent that normal business was over in Congress when political legacies were on the line.  If normal procedures were followed in Congress, the ACA would not have become law.
-Brett

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2310 on: March 21, 2017, 06:43:17 AM »
I beg to differ. Russia, as opposed to USA or indeed any other Western nation, has patience, a lot of patience in pursuing her goals, and a lot more cameleonic foreign policy.

The Soviet Union is gone.  Russia is still around, of course, but it does not possess the same strategic, economic, or political strength that the USSR did. 

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2311 on: March 21, 2017, 06:58:58 AM »
The Soviet Union is gone.  Russia is still around, of course, but it does not possess the same strategic, economic, or political strength that the USSR did.

Maybe not, probably not, but it's working --- slowly and patiently, as I said --- on regaining all three.

Oh, and you forgot the military strength, which is there alright, up and running.
The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.
- Mark Twain

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2312 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:06 AM »
Oh, and you forgot the military strength, which is there alright, up and running.

I didn't forget military strength.  Russia has a large nuclear arsenal, and a large, effective army, but it's ability to project power is limited with its current naval and air power, both diminished since the peak of USSR strength.  Russia is obviously a major player in the Eurasian land mass, but it is not what it once was, and its nukes aside, it does not pose an existential threat to the US or its critical allies.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #2313 on: March 21, 2017, 07:18:58 AM »
I'm watching a vid on the bloody history of Islam. Enjoy your Caliphate! ;)

"Even the Venetians..." (really tiptoeing through that section, lol)

btw- here's how this "Trump Dystopia Syndrome" works. Someone I know was just complaining about their taxes this year (in the middle of an anti-Trump rant). By pointing out that this was still on Obama, I secured "that look", and was relegated to kiddie table. no more discussion

How about it's time to excoriate Obama? How about it's time to destroy destroy destroy his legacy of division and deceit? How about every time one of you even THINKS Trump, I'll just remind you that it was Reagen-Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama that destroyed this country's borders?

I think I can see an Obama mug shot... I really think I can see it. But, it will be from the Philippines or something, he'll be busted in a coke orgy or something... see it comin...

neve3rmind ::)

Y'know, we've all known Trump for about 30 years now, and, of course I thought he was just a major "Chad" dickhead bla bla... but now, 30 years later, everyone else is acting like such a dickhead (Schumer, McCain, Obummer, Hitlery, GOP, Dems) that Trump looks like a regular guy to me.

Sure, he could become a dictator or whatever.... but, we were going to get one no matter what. You don't think the election cycles will start bringing in more and more demagogery until we truly have "elected" someone who could murder half the population?

How can YOU defend "The Establishment" against Trump?  Unless Schumer and Trump are working together behind the scenes for some unbelievable coup, Trump seems to be doing what corrupt politicians don't want him to do (even your hated GOP hates him- but you seem to be siding with your enemy against... your enemy??).

When was the last time ANYONE anywhere (outside of muzzieland) was hung for treason? shot? to death? for Treason against their own country? Treason. Sedition. Treason??

Nope. Every congress critter is a perfect jewel (especially the libby ones, can't do no wrong), and you love them to have a lifetime appointments (Byrd, Mikulski), you ARE a Commie Pinko!!!!! YOU!!!! Communista!!!! Kommunista!!!

Klingon!!!!!

BREAKING!!!

Two illegals 17 and 18, who were ENROLLED in a DC area middle school, raped a 14 year old at the school. They had only been in the country a few months- but, somehow were enrolled in high school in the sanctuary county of... was it Howard?...I can't remember...

I'm so glad there's so many people here who condone raping children... it's just the right thing to do, eh?

Sure, if someone squirts out from between someone's legs, hey, they're an automatic US Citizen no matter what, right? Everyone has the RIGHT to be a US Citizen, right? Just by breathing air, right? Come here and suck me dry and move on, right?

"Even the Venetians..."

Look, I get just as offended when these local yokels go on about "turbans", and ignorantly hate on Sikhs, thinking they're the "terrorists". And when I try to explain it, guess what I get?

I treat everyone "with respect", but that goes out the window with your first mistake. Trust me, I have more problems with poor white trash than anyone else. If there were no brownies to blame everything on there'd always be an ignoramus who looks just like you f&&&in stuff up. fact.

The landlord class really likes this divide and conquer thing...

and you can't even mention Talmudism or you get a special hate name "The goyim are here to serve only us"

bah >:(

Leave Trump Alone!! He's putting Yissrayel first, just like you want it, so why are you complaining?

And, f*** Hitler's daughter, too!! east german commie, blackmailed traitor... oh, you don't think they got the goods on her???lol Don't make me Post her bikini dance again...

ok, Rant_
:OFF (sorry, I must've been in a blackout)
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2314 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:34 AM »
its nukes aside, it does not pose an existential threat to the US or its critical allies.

That's like saying: his penis aside, a rapist does not pose any threat to women.  ;D
- Mark Twain

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2315 on: March 21, 2017, 08:21:03 AM »
That's like saying: his penis aside, a rapist does not pose any threat to women.  ;D

Not really. 

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2316 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »
Not really.

Agreed. Not really, as long as potential victims are placed under 24/7 police protection.
- Mark Twain

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #2317 on: March 21, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »
Agreed. Not really, as long as potential victims are placed under 24/7 police protection.

Not really.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #2318 on: March 21, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
But the fact remains that Obama did push through the ACA through congress using some very questionable political maneuvering.  For me this set the precedent that normal business was over in Congress when political legacies were on the line.  If normal procedures were followed in Congress, the ACA would not have become law.

Point very well taken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK