Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 261563 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #5660 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:57 AM »
Fixed that for you.

Hah!

(It’s a fair cop.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #5661 on: September 13, 2017, 05:30:16 AM »
You're assuming that US citizens, businessmen and workers will just sit back and do nothing? Wow!
I propose any money going to welfare for illegals be stopped immediately and diverted to reconstruction.

I assume no such thing. About 75% of the workers will be citizens. The dirtiest jobs will be done by you know who.

I don't understand the focus on welfare for illegal people. I propose you don't make sense. They are stealing our jobs by working for low pay and taking welfare, you believe. Then you want to divert welfare payments to illegals to paychecks for illegals who will be 25% of the workers who do cleanup and reconstruction.

What do you actually want to happen, and why? I want illegal people to be legal, not citizens but legal, with rights so they won't be victimized by the unscrupulous and vampiric populists who make them suffer for their demented cause. The suffering of American workers with low pay and poor prospects is due to the economic decision making by the political class to suppress growth and wages to save dollars. We can balance the economy up to where we want with or without high immigration levels, though it's easier with.

These people who are "undocumented", why don't we give them suitable documents? Why don't we decide what kind of documents foreign workers and their families should have, instead of complaining about how they don't have them. We are the document providers, the illegal people are the workers we want to do the work.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #5662 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:55 AM »
And this is a favorable right-wing organ writing:

A person close to the GOP leadership told Axios, “He accepted a shakedown when he was holding all the cards. . . . This is quite literally a guy who watches ‘ER’ trying to perform a surgery.”
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #5664 on: September 13, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »

Purged Facebook Page Tied to the Kremlin Spread Anti-Immigrant Bile

It reminds me of "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" Twilight Zone episode. It's the same idea, really.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline nodogen

« Reply #5665 on: September 13, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
     Purged Facebook Page Tied to the Kremlin Spread Anti-Immigrant Bile

It reminds me of "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" Twilight Zone episode. It's the same idea, really.

Social media companies need to seriously up their game; they are heavily complicit in the significant undermining of democracy.

Offline Fidgety

• In a world led by idiots...
« Reply #5666 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »

If this is the first time Trump has been completely at odds with what the Republican leadership and establishment want him to do, let’s review the various things Trump has done as president that must have been consistent with what they wanted. If his deal with Chuck and Nancy is a “betrayal of everything,” let’s recall all those things that were not such betrayals of Republicanism:

Firing James B. Comey in an effort to thwart the FBI’s Russia probe.

Dictating a misleading statement explaining his son’s campaign interaction with Russians.

Moving slowly to fire national security adviser Michael Flynn after being told by the Justice Department that Russia could potentially blackmail Flynn.

Inventing the false charge that he was wiretapped by his predecessor.

Shoving aside a European prime minister to make his way to the front of a photo.

Talking with the Japanese prime minister about how to respond to North Korea while dining alfresco among members of the public at Mar-a-Lago.

Mocking the abilities of U.S. intelligence agencies to an overseas audience.

Sharing sensitive Israeli intelligence with the Russians.

Initially failing to affirm NATO’s collective-security guarantee.

Gratuitously antagonizing European and Asian allies.

Raising the temperature in the North Korea nuclear standoff with a threat of “fire and fury.”

Encouraging a blockade of U.S. ally Qatar.

Issuing a ban on entry by members of certain Muslim countries that was struck down in court and had to be rewritten.

Attacking “so-called” federal judges and saying they should be blamed for terrorist attacks.

Launching a false social-media attack on the Muslim mayor of London.

Declaring the media “enemies of the American people.”

Disparaging MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinksi for supposedly “bleeding badly from a facelift.”

Claiming he lost the popular vote only because millions of people voted illegally and appointing an election fraud commission in an attempt to prove it.

Saying there were “fine people” marching among neo-Nazis in Charlottesville.

Moving to end protection from deportation for hundreds of thousands of immigrant “dreamers.”

And that list, of course, doesn’t include the many things Trump did before assuming office: the “Access Hollywood” video, the “birther” campaign, calling Mexican immigrants rapists, countenancing violence at his rallies and all the rest.

+1.  Great list!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:05:21 PM by Fidgety »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #5667 on: September 13, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »
Despite his “fake news” refrain, [El Tupé] doesn’t hate the mainstream media the way his most ardent supporters do. They sincerely believe it’s a hostile opponent in the culture war, while [El Tupé’s] anger is more that of a jilted lover. His whole life has been marked by an obsession with publicity. His supporters, though, are oddly blind to that fact.
The odd blindness of the Tuperos . . . .

First, closed minds and then blindness. Please also take out the hate card from your hip pocket useful as a diversionary tactic anytime there is no real argument or laziness to construct a rational one. "Anger" is also a good word to throw around except to those who require evidence like the hissy fits Hillary Clinton has been reputed to throw with actual violence and verbal abuse.

Reducing an argument to name calling is cheap but it also removes any possibility of reasoned discourse. I am NOT emotionally affected by any politician. I do support any of Donald Trump's policies before and after the election. That does not make me a Tupero. I really don't give a damn about him as a person not for or against. He has been elected to do a job. So far he is fulfilling his role much better than his predecessor on economics alone.  He is committed to reducing the debt, to increase American jobs, simplify taxation and strengthen the military. So what is the problem?
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #5668 on: September 13, 2017, 11:23:21 PM »
So what is the problem?

This question is your response to accusations of blindness? Oh the irony.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #5669 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:44 AM »
Possibly crossing into the cult of personality.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #5670 on: September 14, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »
This question is your response to accusations of blindness? Oh the irony.

What do I see that some others don't?
Framing visceral responses as reasoned arguments?
A grudge or obsession to the extent that it blinds the person to anything good or positive about the object of his (go on, say it!) hatred?
paraphrasing the words of Forrest Gump, "Hatred is as hatred does".
I rest my case.
 ― Flannery O'Connor

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #5671 on: September 14, 2017, 03:11:38 AM »
Clearly there is nothing, how vile soever, El Tupé has done, is doing, or will do which the Tuperos will disavow (“He can do no right for you haters!”)  They suffer from a moral tic, and the mantra of repeating the names Clinton and Obama salves their consciences.  It is, in a terrifying way, wonderful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #5672 on: September 14, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
Clearly there is nothing, how vile soever, El Tupé has done, is doing, or will do which the Tuperos will disavow (“He can do no right for you haters!”)  They suffer from a moral tic, and the mantra of repeating the names Clinton and Obama salves their consciences.  It is, in a terrifying way, wonderful.

Why are YOU SO angry, Karl?
Or better yet, DON'T answer why.
Something to think about...
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline nodogen

« Reply #5673 on: September 14, 2017, 06:47:35 AM »
I do support any of Donald Trump's policies before and after the election.

There it is in a nutshell: any of his policies. Support whatever he says or does. No assessment. No critical thinking. A cult.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #5674 on: September 14, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
There it is in a nutshell: any of his policies. Support whatever he says or does. No assessment. No critical thinking. A cult.

It was a typo. My keyboard has a habit of letters sticking. It should have been "many". But go ahead and make ridiculous assumptions.
 "The dogs bark but the caravan moves on".
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #5675 on: September 14, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »

Reducing an argument to name calling is cheap but it also removes any possibility of reasoned discourse. I am NOT emotionally affected by any politician. I do support any of Donald Trump's policies before and after the election. That does not make me a Tupero. I really don't give a damn about him as a person not for or against. He has been elected to do a job. So far he is fulfilling his role much better than his predecessor on economics alone.  He is committed to reducing the debt, to increase American jobs, simplify taxation and strengthen the military. So what is the problem?

So it doesn't bother you that many of those policies are determined only by the financial interests of Trump and his cronies? Like, for example, his policy of making nice with Russia and praising Putin, which we now see was motivated by his pending deal for a Trump Tower in Moscow that required Putin's good will, and about which he lied repeatedly when claiming he had no business with Russia or Russians? Or how about the removal of a plank from the Republican platform condemning the Russian incursion into Ukraine because Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, had for years been taking millions of dollars from pro-Russian factions in Ukraine? Or, more recently, the Trump administration's bizarre condemnations of Qatar for its alleged funding of terrorism shortly after Sheikh Hammid bin Jassim al-Thani, Qatar's richest citizen, withdrew his offer to bail out Jared Kushner's real-estate fiasco at 666 Fifth Avenue in NYC? Incidentally, the reason the sheikh withdrew the offer is because the other potential funding, from Chinese investors with close government ties, was shut down due to public outrage when that news hit the press. In short, these scumbags would sell their mothers and the rest of the country down the river if they could make a profit on it — or, in the latter case, stave off their family's bankruptcy for a few months. That is a problem.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:31:09 AM by BasilValentine »

Offline nodogen

« Reply #5676 on: September 14, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »
It was a typo. My keyboard has a habit of letters sticking. It should have been "many". But go ahead and make ridiculous assumptions.

Thanks, I will. Strangely, my comment was in response to what was posted, not what you may have intended.

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on".

Is that the only fortune cookie you've had?

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #5677 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
Thanks, I will. Strangely, my comment was in response to what was posted, not what you may have intended.

In the context of everything I wrote, it should not have sounded alarm bells.

Is that the only fortune cookie you've had?

Trump still won the election, so some people, or rather not all of them, are idiots or cads.
 ― Flannery O'Connor

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline nodogen

« Reply #5679 on: September 14, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »

Reducing an argument to name calling is cheap but it also removes any possibility of reasoned discourse.

...followed by...

Trump still won the election, so some people, or rather not all of them, are idiots or cads.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK