Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 283191 times)

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #7400 on: December 06, 2017, 11:33:40 PM »
And she lost by a whopping 2.9 million votes!
...Oh, wait, she won by that many votes.  I'll come in again...

Roslynn and Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie and say there was no Russian collusion in the 2016 election:

http://thewashingtonstandard.com/jimmy-carter-dont-think-theres-evidence-russians-changed-votes/
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #7401 on: December 07, 2017, 01:03:07 AM »
Roslynn and Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie and say there was no Russian collusion in the 2016 election:

http://thewashingtonstandard.com/jimmy-carter-dont-think-theres-evidence-russians-changed-votes/
No, that's not what he says. He says that, while his wife believes otherwise, he doesn't think Russia changed enough/any votes. He may be right. That doesn't mean that your fat rapist racist-in-chief didn't "collude."

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #7402 on: December 07, 2017, 02:13:11 AM »

The electoral college is a bit of a stinker and not only because it can elect the candidate with the minority of votes.

With respect, I do not think there is any point in lighting tiki torches in protest of the Electoral College.  To refine milk's point,  it took a special kind of politician to lose to the demonic sociopath we ended up with, by razor-thin margins in the swing states which she had boasted were her "firewall."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #7403 on: December 07, 2017, 02:16:32 AM »
No, that's not what he says. He says that, while his wife believes otherwise, he doesn't think Russia changed enough/any votes. He may be right. That doesn't mean that your fat rapist racist-in-chief didn't "collude."

Exactly.  Even if your conspiracy did not quite produce the targeted result, it remains a conspiracy.

Citing the Carters as "proof" that El Tupé and/or his circle are innocent of all wrong, is one whopper of a fallacy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #7404 on: December 07, 2017, 04:52:03 AM »
Exactly.  Even if your conspiracy did not quite produce the targeted result, it remains a conspiracy.
Citing the Carters as "proof" that El Tupé and/or his circle are innocent of all wrong, is one whopper of a fallacy.

It means that even some prominent Dems do not believe the witch hunt theory of a conspiracy.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7405 on: December 07, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »

Corporate hacks can't win the election unless they lie to the faces of the voters like Trump did. HC was too honest about her motives and lost.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #7406 on: December 07, 2017, 06:14:10 AM »
It means that even some prominent Dems do not believe the witch hunt theory of a conspiracy.
Huh? I'm not seeing any logic at all to what you're writing here. As far as the article you linked, Carter offered no opinion on conspiracies. Anyway, If there is nothing to hide, then there's nothing to fear and the guilty pleas by traitors such as Manafort and Flynn will prove to be unrelated to the doings of the Donald. My guess is that Kushner likely crossed legal lines as well. It's possible Donny knew about some of this stuff though I still think what we already know about him (that he's basically a sociopath, racist and rape-y) is worse than what we don't yet know. Though I also guess he did try to obstruct investigations (definitely impeachable).

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7407 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:43 AM »
It is only dishonest Dems, or those who actively choose not to look up facts readily available to anyone who wants to look for them, who persist in misusing the word.

The word isn't being misused. It is being used as a synonym for conspiracy, which, as the definition I posted indicates, is standard and accepted usage.

Nope, the word collusion is being misused, and it is being misused almost exclusively by dishonest Dems, or those who actively choose not to look up facts readily available to anyone who wants to look for them.  The word was rarely used in politics prior to 2016, so statements about standard and accepted usage are borderline nonsense.  If Dems mean conspiracy, they should say conspiracy.  That word is actually better known by the population and is more accurate.  Why not just say conspiracy?
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Todd

• Veteran member

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #7409 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:57 AM »
Israel: UN security council to discuss US recognition of Jerusalem

That should resolve everything.

Now you're being too cynical. They just do the job they are paid and famous for and quite good at (ie, discuss).  :laugh:
Regele şi Patria!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7410 on: December 07, 2017, 06:42:18 AM »
John Conyers’s Son Was Arrested This Year, Accused of Stabbing His Girlfriend

This kind of calls into question the judgment of John Conyers, who just earlier this week endorsed his boy for the family Congressional seat.  (He really was in a pickle since he obviously could not endorse his wife, who served time in federal prison for bribery.)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7411 on: December 07, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »
The Democrat circular firing squad takes out a second Democrat member of Congress in one week.

Outstanding.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7412 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »

Mine.  My health insurance is also fine and I will face no premium increases for at least three more years.

That's good. You're lucky. How you you know?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7413 on: December 07, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »
That's good. You're lucky. How you you know?

With respect to the taxes, I reviewed my 2016 tax filings and year to date information, and compared it to all reported changes to tax laws that will impact individuals.  There is always a chance that material changes can be introduced in conference, but the items discussed so far will not impact me.  For health insurance, coverage and rates are all contractually stipulated with defined renewal periods.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7415 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
John Conyers’s Son Was Arrested This Year, Accused of Stabbing His Girlfriend

This kind of calls into question the judgment of John Conyers, who just earlier this week endorsed his boy for the family Congressional seat.  (He really was in a pickle since he obviously could not endorse his wife, who served time in federal prison for bribery.)
I would have thought his long record of sexual harassment would have already called his judgment into question but I guess I’m not a Democrat so who knows.

Also Senate Republicans (and some Democrats) are panicking over the Franken resignation, which is definitely good. It’s a very good time to air out all the skeletons in closets. The ethics proceedings impending against Roy Moore (should he win) will also be good, if McConnell follows through, which is always a big if. No more politics as usual please.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7416 on: December 07, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
It’s a very good time to air out all the skeletons in closets.

That won't happen - with either party.  Republicans don't really need to panic yet.  The worst case scenario in the Senate, a Dem sweep next year, still leaves Republicans with the power of legislative filibuster and they will be able to kill a Trump removal vote.  And electoral worst case scenarios happen only during depressions.  Nonetheless, they need to make sure to get every last Republican judge in place that they can by this this time next year.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7417 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
By "it's a good time to air out skeletons in closets" I mean that we are still, at the moment, in a time when allegations of sexual harassment and assault are taken seriously. There are clearly a lot more serial abusers in Congress: the Senate supported Franken across party lines until the number of accusers reached a critical and undeniable mass. It's definitely a good time for people to come forward with their names and the details. A Congress that contains no one who has ever sexually harassed or assaulted anyone is a great idea and something we should be working for. (The same applies to any other workplace.)

The whole thing with Republican judges is dumb. Republicans are acting like they will never control the executive branch or the Senate again after 2018, and unless they know something I don't, they should have at least another three years. And even if a Democrat wins the presidency in 2020, it will swing back to Republicans eventually. I really don't get why everyone is in a panic about judges (on both sides of the aisle)—every president gets to appoint judges, and Congress can always increase or decrease the number of them, and lots of federal judges anyway quit after a few years to go into private practice where they can make more money.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7418 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »
The whole thing with Republican judges is dumb.

If Dems take the Senate in 2018, they will have the power to block nominees they deem unsavory, which means that all openings should be filled quickly while Republicans can put in anyone they want.  I have seen nothing to indicate that Trump will not be like almost every president before him and suffer partisan losses in the mid-terms.  It is precisely because judges retire all the time that Trump (or Pence) needs to appoint as many Republican judges as possible.  None of this has anything to do with a belief that Republicans will lose the White House for a generation in 2020 - I'd be surprised if Dems holds it more than eight years, provided they win in 2020 - but by putting in younger judges (45-55 or so), that means even with standard attrition, the federal judiciary will be nicely conservative until the next opportunity to fill vacancies arises.  I fully expect Dems to do something similar if they capture the presidency and the Senate.  Both parties engage in similar actions in order to get ideologically compatible judges in place.  There's nothing new about that, though the purity tests are more stringent now - no more Warrens allowed.

Expanding the judiciary seems highly unlikely (read: impossible) without 60 votes in the Senate.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7419 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
If Dems take the senate in 2018 it will be because some of their more conservative senators (McCaskill, Donnelly, Manchin) have successfully defended their seats. Of the two pickups that look plausible, one would be another fairly conservative Dem (Sinema). Most of these people have already been voting with Republicans for a lot of Trump nominees, or are very likely to in future, and post 2018 they won’t have to worry about their voting records and the primary base for another six years, so I don’t see how this changes the calculus (if anything I’d expect to see even more conservative judges confirmed by the next Congress, even if Dems do control the majority leader’s office).

Also the judiciary is....... inherently a conservative institution already?? Maybe not in a partisan way, but certainly in a ruled-by-precedent sort of way. Even if a particular judge is a Democrat he or she will basically have to abide by that, and precedent favours conservative policies almost by definition.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK