Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 586110 times)

(poco) Sforzando and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #7480 on: December 12, 2017, 05:50:41 AM »
The yet worse news:  not in the Middle East, only.

Putin is outplaying [El Tupé] in the Middle East
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #7481 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:47 AM »

[El Tupé’s] latest fracas isn't likely to help, either. In Ankara, alongside Erdogan, Putin capitalized on disquiet over [El Tupé’s] move to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. He emphasized that [El Tupé’s] order “doesn’t help the Mideast settlement and, just the other way round, destabilizes the already difficult situation in the region.”

So, yeppers:  Putin has the best US President for his and Russia’s interest he might have wished for.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spineur

« Reply #7482 on: December 12, 2017, 06:20:39 AM »

Apparently el-Sisi (Egypt president) is about to conclude a big purchase of military equipments with Putin.  el-Sisi is slowly but surely reverting to Nasser alliances.  Worrisome for US and western interests.  Not all el Tupé fault.  Obama partial support for the Muslim brotherhood during Arab spring did not help.

Turner

« Reply #7483 on: December 12, 2017, 06:25:58 AM »
"Former Facebook executive says social media is ripping apart society ... No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth ... says he tries to use Facebook as little as possible, and that his children “aren’t allowed to use that shit.’"

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #7484 on: December 12, 2017, 06:27:12 AM »
Apparently el-Sisi (Egypt president) is about to conclude a big purchase of military equipments with Putin.  el-Sisi is slowly but surely reverting to Nasser alliances.  Worrisome for US and western interests.  Not all el Tupé fault.  Obama partial support for the Muslim brotherhood during Arab spring did not help.

Point taken (even as probably any impartial observer would have found that Obama inherited a mess of a financial situation).

The question remains, what does el Tupé do with the situation he has got?  And of course, he continues to stink on ice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #7485 on: December 12, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
"Former Facebook executive says social media is ripping apart society ... No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth ... says he tries to use Facebook as little as possible, and that his children “aren’t allowed to use that shit.’"

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761016/former-facebook-exec-ripping-apart-society

What's next? Altria CEO won't let his children smoke??!!  Frito-Lays Board Members steer their kids away from junk food???!!!

0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7486 on: December 12, 2017, 06:35:56 AM »
Point taken (even as probably any impartial observer would have found that Obama inherited a mess of a financial situation).

It would be informative to see a valid and fact-based explanation as to how Obama's inheritance of the financial crisis - one of the key issues he ran on - has anything to do with his change in foreign policy with respect to Middle East, and in particular his support for the Muslim Brotherhood, which was formulated in 2011, after the recession was over and US GDP growth had resumed.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7487 on: December 12, 2017, 06:43:28 AM »
I believe his support for the Muslim Brotherhood was limited to the Mubarak administration, therefore making it an important US strategic partner in the lucrative industry of dropping bombs on Libya/Somalia/Yemen/Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan/anywhere else it seems likely the US could get away with it. Probably a slight blunder not to immediately transfer one's allegiance to Sisi upon his brutal military coup. Who knows, maybe if Obama had supported Sisi we'd also now be able to bomb Chad, Sudan, Qatar and Palestine.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7488 on: December 12, 2017, 06:51:37 AM »
Who knows, maybe if Obama had supported Sisi we'd also now be able to bomb Chad, Sudan, Qatar and Palestine.

Fortunately, Trump seems to like Sisi, so there's always hope that more bombs may fall from Mali to Pakistan.  I'm more interested in learning how the financial mess Obama inherited somehow determined or altered his foreign policy, as was hinted at previously.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7489 on: December 12, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
Trump tweets: Lightweight Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a total flunky for Chuck Schumer and someone who would come to my office “begging” for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump. Very disloyal to Bill & Crooked-USED!

Gillibrand tweets: You cannot silence me or the millions of women who have gotten off the sidelines to speak out about the unfitness and shame you have brought to the Oval Office.

Oh yeah!

It is likely 2020 will be even nastier than 2016.  Trump will almost certainly attack every Dem candidate for president in a manner similar to what he did in 2016.  The beautiful thing is, he will probably do it whether or not he occupies the White House.  (I'm sure his most rabid Dem foes would sharply and cleverly retort that he won't be able to tweet from behind bars.) 

Now, when do those Alabama returns start trickling in . . .

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7490 on: December 12, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »
Elizabeth Warren tweets: Are you really trying to bully, intimidate and slut-shame @SenGillibrand? . . .

This may not be worded in the best possible way.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #7491 on: December 12, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »

playing[/b]-trump-in-the-middle-east/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_wv-trump-putin-221am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.22099fba7041]Putin is playing [El Tupé] in the Middle East[/i]

There, that's a bit more accurate.  :D

So far, the only thing El Tupe ( love that, btw ) has done which surprised me was his authorization of the cruise missle attack on a few installations in Syria. ( Not so much the attack itself, which was an easy way to generate a little political capital, but the fact that he was able to get Putin's c**k out of his mouth long enough to give the order)

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7492 on: December 12, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
Reports of voter intimidation/suppression trickling in from various heavily black parts of Alabama (Montgomery, Birmingham, the one majority-black precinct in Dothan, etc). I have a feeling the poll workers who’ve relied on these tactics for a hundred and fifty years are not used to having them come under scrutiny..... hopefully this leads people to push for electoral reform even if it ends up swinging the election to Moore.

Turnout is also apparently approaching presidential year levels in some parts of the state (eg Montgomery, again). Twitter filled with photos of massive queues at 7 in the morning.

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
« Reply #7493 on: December 12, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
Reports of voter intimidation/suppression trickling in from various heavily black parts of Alabama (Montgomery, Birmingham, the one majority-black precinct in Dothan, etc). I have a feeling the poll workers who’ve relied on these tactics for a hundred and fifty years are not used to having them come under scrutiny..... hopefully this leads people to push for electoral reform even if it ends up swinging the election to Moore.

Turnout is also apparently approaching presidential year levels in some parts of the state (eg Montgomery, again). Twitter filled with photos of massive queues at 7 in the morning.

What you hear from some of these third world countries is terrible.

Spineur

« Reply #7494 on: December 12, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
Tillerson says US ready for North Korea talks "without preconditions"

El Tupé is going to get very angry with Rex Tillerson for declaring Kim Jung Un winner.  Time to get him fired I guess.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #7495 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
It’s interesting how perfectly Tump embodies the most disastrous aspects of innovation. In the future, it really will be impossible to tell the difference between real and “fake” news; between reality and propaganda. AI will be able to mimic and replicate  populations of “people” as they exist virtually. We can trust a traditional news process, even if it’s humanly flawed. But people and news in the virtual world is impossible to verify, especially as the old process and systems are (purposely) delegitamized. I also see two competing visions of economic reality: in one, AI creates enormous wealth by automation, freeing up and empowering people. In the other, economic and class divisions become worse and more and more base populism takes over. Recently I’ve been reading Octavia Butker’s post-apocalyptic series, “Earthseed” (c. 1983). I was startled to come across a fictional future populist presidential candidate with the following slogan: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:03:27 PM by milk »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7496 on: December 12, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #7497 on: December 12, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »

And agin, and again, and again...I guess that’s where she got from. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:46:18 PM by milk »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7498 on: December 12, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
The failing New York Times has called Alabama for Jones.  Dems have shown their electoral mettle by defeating a child molester.  Just barely.

kishnevi

« Reply #7499 on: December 12, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
The failing New York Times has called Alabama for Jones.  Dems have shown their electoral mettle by defeating a child molester.  Just barely.

NBC is refusing to call it, with Jones ahead by about 14,000 votes and 95 percent of the votes counted.