Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 28634 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #800 on: January 11, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
No, I want your take on it, the Emperors opinion, not "facts".

Any time the President Elect holds a press conference, it's news.

Keep on touting your prediction, no matter how wrong.  (Oh, and look up the word "simile" while you're at it.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:41:17 PM by Todd »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #801 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
Could just be some fat guy in Jersey.

Are you saying fat Jersey guys don't deserve to be agents of a foreign power? Can they not "hack" it?

Any time the President Elect holds a press conference, it's news.

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's not "news".

Yes I think I'll stand pat on extinction. I think that party is dead now. I don't mean the Reagan party, I mean the GWBush party. This party is protectionist and rhetorically committed to fiscal expansion. Wresting it back in the name of Shrinkonomics is not going to work out IMO. You can't go home again, or as some philosopher once didn't say "you can't step into the same river once", so I said it.

Dept of Grievous Error: The unnamed philosopher did not once not say the quote above, he always did not say it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:56:49 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #802 on: January 11, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
Yes I think I'll stand pat on extinction.

Doubling down.  Trump would be proud.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #803 on: January 11, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
    More "News" Dept

Trump said he thinks Russia was behind the election hacking. It is his opinion.

He was offered a $2B bribe by a "great guy" from Dubai. He turned it down. It is his opinion that he was offered this bribe, and his opinion that he turned it down.

This is how it's going to be and we're all going to have to get used to it.

Doubling down.  Trump would be proud.

I have a better hand. The Repubs are determined to do whatever they can to prove me right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #804 on: January 11, 2017, 05:16:58 PM »
     I have a better hand. The Repubs are determined to do whatever they can to prove me right.

You wrote the same thing for months before the election.  Again, your prognostication skills are questionable.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Hey, Oregon is a freaky place. When I visited in August, my motel had the surprise amenity of a free new condom on the nightstand.

Sounds like an attempt to stave off sex-overload on the mattresses.... :blank: 0:) $:) :P
"I've grown used to this country and I love it. But there's one thing it doesn't have - quiet". Rachmaninoff musing on his hectic schedule in the USA.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »

You wrote the same thing for months before the election.  Again, your prognostication skills are questionable.

They haven't given up on extinction and I won't either.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #807 on: January 11, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »
     They haven't given up on extinction and I won't either.

This is similar to the triumphalist, demographic determinist "thinking" that permeated the Clinton campaign and made them think they could take Arizona and reclaim the House and so forth.  You're certainly free to believe it, just as you are free to believe in Sasquatch.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #808 on: January 11, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
    Yeah, they sucked, no doubt. They coasted on that advantage and it cost them dear. The advantage is real, beyond the point that vote suppression and a bad Dem candidate can mask it. The demographic argument isn't triumphalist unless you think it's a triumph to run out of white people. I'm willing to consider that's a good thing in some ways but not a triumph. Mostly the fact of it was demonstrated by an unpopular Dem outpolling the Repub by almost 3 million votes. This is not a trend tied to a single election vote, and no one knows this better than Repubs themselves.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:58:57 PM by drogulus »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #809 on: January 11, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »
They coasted on that advantage and it cost them dear.

It is not the advantage you and some other Dems think it is.  Even Chuck Todd recognized and voiced the electoral reality that states with larger minority populations already tend to go for Dems, and those same states are generally faster growing than red states.  His thesis is that we will see more 2016 elections, where Dems pull in more of the popular vote but lose in the Electoral College.  (California is the big, obvious example here: Clinton won the nation by 3 million, but she won California by 4 million.  She could have won it by 12 million and it wouldn't have mattered.)  It won't happen every time, and candidates make a difference, but Republicans do not need to win big in large blue states to win.  Republicans know this.  This is one reason race will become more important as an election issue as the century progresses, even if it does not dominate every election.  It's also one reason the EC is going nowhere soon. 

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #810 on: January 12, 2017, 12:29:33 AM »
Who is polling the Trump Voter Remorse?  8)

Folks who voted Trump relish this crazy stuff.

They would be disappointed if the show stopped Jan 20

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #811 on: January 12, 2017, 04:50:18 AM »
There is a unique phenomenon that occurs in contentious threads, whether it is discussing the world of Trump or the artistic worth of 433.  The discussion becomes so esoteric that it is impossible to follow the train of thought of the various entries.  There are only so many points one can make concerning the pros and cons of the Trump.  I have been trying to read the entries over the last few pages and I have no idea what you guys are talking about  ???
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:10:31 AM by arpeggio »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #812 on: January 12, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
I'm outraged that you're not outraged.  Buzzfeed is legit.
This guy pretty much sums up my views as well. I guess it's too much to hope for Trumpism and anti-Trumpism to cancel each other out so the rest of us can enjoy some intelligent adult discourse.

His thesis is that we will see more 2016 elections, where Dems pull in more of the popular vote but lose in the Electoral College.
Whilst picking up the pieces post-election, 538 did its numbers thing and Nate (I believe—or might have been Harry) argued that at the moment a generic Democrat has to run 2-2.5% ahead to break even in the Electoral College, and Democratic congressional candidates have to run 4-6% ahead to break even in the House thanks to redistricting. I might have the numbers wrong, but it was something like that. Not going to relisten to a bunch of podcasts just for figures.

Basically demographics favour the Republicans by default at the moment, with white and older voters having disproportionate power. And America's got an ageing population, so not like you're going to run out of old people anytime soon. Ideal Dem strategy would probably be to keep the policy agenda focused on the big cities and urbanised states, whilst recruiting strong candidates with political crossover appeal in small metros and rural states. That's what they did in 2006, anyway. Ideal Repub strategy on the other hand, at this point, is basically just to turn up. And don't piss off any evangelical Christians or the NRA, I guess.

There are only so many points one can make concerning the pros and cons of the Trump.  I have been trying to read the entries over the last few page and I have no idea what you guys are talking about  ???
I think we mostly just use this thread to post recent news events involving Donald Drumpf and make fun of them in a vain effort to stave off our collective crushing existential horror. If that sounds appealing, welcome.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #813 on: January 12, 2017, 05:32:39 AM »
And America's got an ageing population, so not like you're going to run out of old people anytime soon.
Cutting out universal healthcare and feeding them burgers will help, though.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #814 on: January 12, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
True. Maybe the bright side of repealing Obamacare is that there won't be enough old people left to re-elect Trump in 2020.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #815 on: January 12, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
This guy pretty much sums up my views as well. I guess it's too much to hope for Trumpism and anti-Trumpism to cancel each other out so the rest of us can enjoy some intelligent adult discourse.

Left wing hysterics stir up a small number of lefties, but they also stir up right wingers, helping contribute to higher turnout.  I would expect more baiting and rhetorical bomb throwing and pot stirring from Trump and Bannon and others. 

Whilst picking up the pieces post-election, 538 did its numbers thing and Nate (I believe—or might have been Harry) argued that at the moment a generic Democrat has to run 2-2.5% ahead to break even in the Electoral College, and Democratic congressional candidates have to run 4-6% ahead to break even in the House thanks to redistricting.

This is why redistricting is so critical, and why 2020 is a more important election than 2016.  Obama knows it, too, which is why he's already committed to working with Eric Holder on this.  I'm thinking, and hoping, that a fair number of state races get nastier in 2020, and I know local broadcasters await the advertising bonanza. 

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #816 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
I would expect more baiting and rhetorical bomb throwing and pot stirring from Trump and Bannon and others.

That's what they do.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #817 on: January 12, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
That's what they do.

Indeed.  And it worked last year.  There must be an applicable Mencken quote.

Offline Mahlerian

« Reply #818 on: January 12, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't take the memos too seriously anyway, and I certainly don't have any belief in the idea that Russia hacked voting machines; that's silly.

Seriously, though, Keith Olbermann has always been like that.  In his case it's hardly a response to Trump, and more a reaction to right wing talk radio/Fox News hosts.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #819 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't take the memos too seriously anyway, and I certainly don't have any belief in the idea that Russia hacked voting machines; that's silly.

It is silly.  I should be surprised if that is what the US intelligence community was suggesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK