Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 319464 times)

Offline Wendell_E

• Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #8120 on: January 13, 2018, 04:09:53 AM »
How delicately we challenge the racist, when our lips are accustomed to puckering up to the presidential buttocks:

(After nearly 24 hours of silence, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) said this in Wisconsin: "First thing that came to my mind is, ‘Very unfortunate. Unhelpful.’")

Translation: Dude, we don't say that stuff out loud!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #8121 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:47 AM »
"The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos, chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burned, there are politicians that are being burned,"

BBC: Trump's ambassador to Netherlands finally admits 'no-go zone' claims

On Friday Mr Hoekstra finally admitted to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf that he had made the remarks, to a right wing gathering in the US, and said he was "shocked" by them.

"That was a wrong statement. That was just wrong," Mr Hoekstra said, adding that it was "clearly that was an inaccurate statement".

I guess trying to "pull a Trump" (lying, denying and calling everything "fake news") doesn’t work in Europe.... ::)

What worries me most, is that a substantial part of the US electorate eats this kind of BS with a spoon... ???

Q
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:34:55 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Online milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #8122 on: January 13, 2018, 05:18:36 AM »
The Wall Street Journal: Trump Lawyer Arranged $130,000 Payment for Adult-Film Star’s Silence. Agreement just before election required woman to keep quiet about an alleged sexual encounter with Trump in 2006, people familiar with the matter say: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-lawyer-arranged-130-000-payment-for-adult-film-stars-silence-1515787678
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/368779-trump-lawyer-arranged-130k-payment-to-adult-film-star-to-stay-quiet?
I'm curious about the lawyer's denial. Is there no ethical requirement of the bar that a lawyer refrain from this kind of lie? A naive question perhaps.   

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #8123 on: January 13, 2018, 05:46:21 AM »

I would hazard a guess that decades of interventionist US foreign policy, including the killing of thousands of civilians by drone strikes and supporting rather unsavory regimes, has done more to foment potential future violence than Trump's utterances. 

I agree. But what is so appalling about President Shithole's remarks is the sheer ignorance and stupidity they reveal. He is, I would wager, oblivious to the role the U.S. played in the destruction of El Salvador through exactly the policies you cite. And when U.S. government funding and arming of death squads there ended, leaving the hardware for generations of gang violence, U.S. drug demand continued to fund the killing, there and among Salvadoran emigres in California. The remittances of Salvadorans under protected status are a stabilizing influence in El Salvador. Since they pay taxes, their skills are needed in rebuilding Houston after its hurricane damage, and they and their families could not be absorbed by the "economy" in El Salvador, the least the U.S. can do by way of national atonement is to allow them to stay. That the proximate cause of their protected status was earthquakes rather than violence is irrelevant; Misery is fungible.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:21:18 AM by BasilValentine »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8124 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:29 AM »
I agree. But what is so appalling about President Shithole's remarks is the sheer ignorance and stupidity they reveal. He is, I would wager, oblivious to the role the U.S. played in the destruction of El Salvador through exactly the policies you cite. And when U.S. government funding and arming of death squads there ended, leaving the hardware for generations of gang violence, U.S. drug demand continued to fund the killing, there and among Salvadoran emigres in California. The remittances of Salvadorans under protected status are a stabilizing influence in El Salvador. Since they pay taxes, their skills are needed in rebuilding Houston after its hurricane damage, and they and their families could not be absorbed by the "economy" in El Salvador, the least the U.S. can do by way of national atonement is to allow them to stay. That the proximate cause of their protected status was earthquakes rather than violence is irrelevant; Misery is fungible.

What a contorted mess.  It mixes moral preening ("national atonement") and pure gibberish ("misery is fungible") in one short post.  The Salvadorans facing deportation have been in the country far longer than intended under the law.  Now they are bargaining chips.  It's a bit rough, but oh well.  Dems should fight, fight, fight for them in negotiations.  Trump does not need to know the history of US involvement in Central America to understand political leverage.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936)
    The sound of Roman Festivals, The Birds, and Ancient Airs and Dances
« Reply #8125 on: January 13, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #8126 on: January 13, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
And because, when you're a very stable genius, naturally you think that your relations are de facto the best qualified....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8127 on: January 13, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
"What do we get out of Norway?" 

Reverend Al Sharpton, as quoted in AmPo.

Good question.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8128 on: January 13, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »

Good question.

The drivers (Seas) of my speakers are from Norway. I also like a few Norwegian bands.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #8129 on: January 13, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »

Good question.
A trade surplus.

Plus these warmly welcomed immigrants:

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #8130 on: January 13, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »

What a contorted mess.  It mixes moral preening ("national atonement") and pure gibberish ("misery is fungible") in one short post.  The Salvadorans facing deportation have been in the country far longer than intended under the law.  Now they are bargaining chips.  It's a bit rough, but oh well.  Dems should fight, fight, fight for them in negotiations.  Trump does not need to know the history of US involvement in Central America to understand political leverage.

You think Trump's actions have to do with anything so rational as political leverage? Nice fantasy.

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #8131 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
 :) What is great about this forum is that I am learning who to put on my ignore list.

Online Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #8132 on: January 13, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
'Pushing the wrong button', and you have false alarm to the public about a missile attack on Hawaii ?!

"Hawaii Gov. David Ige told CNN that human error caused the alert to go out.
"It was a mistake made during a standard procedure at the change over of a shift, and an employee pushed the wrong button," he said.
The warning went out to television and radio as well as cell phones, Ige added."

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politics/hawaii-missile-threat-false-alarm/index.html

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8133 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
'Pushing the wrong button', and you have false alarm to the public about a missile attack on Hawaii ?!

"Hawaii Gov. David Ige told CNN that human error caused the alert to go out.
"It was a mistake made during a standard procedure at the change over of a shift, and an employee pushed the wrong button," he said.
The warning went out to television and radio as well as cell phones, Ige added."

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politics/hawaii-missile-threat-false-alarm/index.html

Very lucky, I guess, that Trump was on the golf course rather than in the situation room when that alert came in.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8134 on: January 13, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »

What a contorted mess.  It mixes moral preening ("national atonement") and pure gibberish ("misery is fungible") in one short post.  The Salvadorans facing deportation have been in the country far longer than intended under the law.  Now they are bargaining chips.  It's a bit rough, but oh well. Dems should fight, fight, fight for them in negotiations.  Trump does not need to know the history of US involvement in Central America to understand political leverage.

Amoral preening.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8135 on: January 13, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
You think Trump's actions have to do with anything so rational as political leverage?

Yep, and it's win-win for him.  If there's no deal, some Salvadorans leave or are deported, making his base happy.  (No way 200K leave, of course.)  If there's a deal, he gets a bit of money for part of his wall, making his base happy.  Hell, he'll probably crow about how whatever bill comes out of Congress is all about love.  Immigrant bashing is a time-tested political winner.

A trade surplus.

Yeah, of around $400 million per the USTR, so a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.  I'd like to see what the US military spends on routine training missions with and deployments to Norway and so forth.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:44:12 PM by Todd »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8136 on: January 13, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »
Chelsea Manning files to run for U.S. Senate in Maryland

Will this be the most entertaining Democrat primary of the year? 

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #8137 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
Chelsea Manning files to run for U.S. Senate in Maryland

Will this be the most entertaining Democrat primary of the year?

"Democrat primary"?   Too much time in the bubble Todd.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8138 on: January 13, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »
"Democrat primary"?   Too much time in the bubble Todd.

Which bubble do you refer to?  With the exception of The Economist, and possibly Foreign Affairs depending on how you look at it, I read and watch only mainstream corporate press outlets.  (Okay, I check out the WSWS about once a month.)  It's good to see that American lefties are so bereft of insight that the best they can do is refer to "the bubble".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:00:21 PM by Todd »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #8139 on: January 13, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »
Which bubble do you refer to? 

So where did you pick up the petty and sophomoric usage of "Democrat" as a modifier?  I'm used to hearing it from Republican hacks and true believers.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK