Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 558333 times)

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #760 on: January 07, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
Trump deserves credit where credit is due.  "As FDR mastered radio and JFK conquered TV, Donald Trump rules the Internet like no other candidate."  (From Bill Moyers' Twitter feed.)

If it takes being a troll and serial liar to "rule the internet," it would be by far the more honorable thing to abdicate.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:34:57 AM by Mahlerian »
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #761 on: January 07, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
Less quality control. more talking down to the lowest denominator, more manipulation and scare mongering---I think this will mean more room for manipulators and less discussion of issues.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #762 on: January 07, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
And what does "fucked" mean?  Fucked how?

For starters? Ask the people who will lose healthcare.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #763 on: January 07, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
If it takes being a troll and serial liar to "rule the internet," it would be by far the more honorable thing to abdicate.

?

Less quality control. more talking down to the lowest denominator, more manipulation and scare mongering---I think this will mean more room for manipulators and less discussion of issues.

This does not live up to the hyperbole of being "fucked".

For starters? Ask the people who will lose healthcare.

First some legislation must pass that actually results in this occurring.  Current "repeal" legislation on offer won't cause that to happen in the immediate future.  And to be clear, it's health insurance coverage that will be impacted - though not removed - not healthcare delivery.  By law, hospitals in the US must treat anyone.  The setup is not ideal, but people too often confuse health insurance and healthcare delivery.  As in all the time, at least on the left.

Besides that, the new erato's prior post was that we all would be fucked - meaning people outside the US as well.  No responses so far show that to be even remotely close to true. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #764 on: January 07, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
By law, hospitals in the US must treat anyone.

I was talking about this:

Quote from:
If that’s what GOP lawmakers decide to do — as many informed observers suspect they will — there’s a high likelihood that they would, in fact, produce a death spiral. With guaranteed insurance for people with pre-existing conditions but no subsidies or individual mandate, premiums could skyrocket. Or, more likely, insurers simply would exit the market. Why risk losses when the whole law is getting repealed anyway? The upshot would be canceled coverage with no other options for people buying in the ACA’s marketplaces (like healthcare.gov or Covered California), as well as those buying directly from insurers, where the same rules apply.

(...)

President-elect Trump said recently that he wanted to keep the ACA’s prohibition against denying coverage for people with pre-existing conditions. It’s understandable that Republicans would want to keep the popular stuff in the ACA while getting rid of the unpopular stuff (the individual mandate and increased taxes). Unfortunately, there’s no magic pixie dust to make that easy or avoid difficult trade-offs.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-levitt-death-spiral-20161212-story.html

Besides that, the new erato's prior post was that we all would be fucked - meaning people outside the US as well.  No responses so far show that to be even remotely close to true.

One example: The United States must join Europe to resist Russia’s meddling

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #765 on: January 07, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
I was talking about this:

Yes, health insurance, as I noted.  Again, there is no legislation in place, and if you hop on over to Politico, you'll see an article highlighting how some Republican senators are wavering on repeal.  Nothing is in place yet. 

One example: The United States must join Europe to resist Russia’s meddling

OK, an op-ed from WaPo, which generally favors a very interventionist foreign policy in its editorial section.  This article even uses the word "appeasement".  So?

snyprrr

« Reply #766 on: January 10, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
Even I thought Trump tweeting back Meryl Streep was a little butthurt-y. Duuuude.... you ARE going to "pick your battles", aren't you? LOL!!!

However, she was in that 'Rickie and the Rockets' or something? Meryl, what the literal fukk?

Both Trump AND Obama have IMDBs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Everyone needs to take two weeks worth of Quaaludes and let's just get this agony phase over with already... I'm tired of the whining

MAKE MY WALLET GREAT AGAIN!!!!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #769 on: January 11, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
The gift that keeps on giving.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #770 on: January 11, 2017, 01:51:48 AM »
... I'm tired of the whining

You don't say?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #771 on: January 11, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »

Trump's lack of credibility is biting him hard, isn't it? Now false news about him undermines his administration before he's sworn in. Putin got the President he wanted, one that just might end up severely damaged not only by the facts of his Putin connection but by false rumors about it. Yes, Trump has been surveiled for years by Russia. They do that you know, cultivate gullible Westerners and complile dossiers on them. Trump was a fat target. He will pay dividends.

It's all good for Vladdy at this point. The rightward shift around the world has his full backing. The Philippines has it's own troll army, and the model is spreading all over the world.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #772 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:30 AM »
I was reputedly wrong about us all being f....d. Seemed like it was Donald that was.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #773 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:18 AM »
     Trump's lack of credibility is biting him hard, isn't it?

Quote from: The G.O.P.
We stand ready to be entirely gullible for you, The Donald.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #774 on: January 11, 2017, 06:43:45 AM »
On the other hand, this Russia nothingburger is certain to eat up a few days of airtime and deflect media attention away from the next few days of confirmation hearings. Very fortunate for a certain someone who would like his cabinet of corrupt plutocrats and far-right extremists to avoid significant public scrutiny. Hmm. Probably just a weird coincidence.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #775 on: January 11, 2017, 07:45:19 AM »
Quote from: The G.O.P.
We stand ready to be entirely gullible for you, The Donald.

Quote from: Grover Norquist, ca 2012
We are not auditioning for a fearless leader.  We don't need a president to tell us in what direction to go. We know what direction to go. We want the Ryan budget. ... We just need a president to sign this stuff. We don't need someone to think it up or design it. The leadership now for the modern conservative movement for the next 20 years will be coming out of the House and the Senate.

Pick a Republican with enough working digits to handle a pen to become president of the United States. This is a change for Republicans: the House and Senate doing the work with the president signing bills. His job is to be captain of the team, to sign the legislation that has already been prepared.

On the other hand, this Russia nothingburger is certain to eat up a few days of airtime and deflect media attention away from the next few days of confirmation hearings. Very fortunate for a certain someone who would like his cabinet of corrupt plutocrats and far-right extremists to avoid significant public scrutiny. Hmm. Probably just a weird coincidence.

I'm outraged that you're not outraged.  Buzzfeed is legit.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #776 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
Oops, I melted down on Twitter again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #777 on: January 11, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »
Yes, Ivanka is there!

I like this family.

:P
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #778 on: January 11, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »

It doesn't seem to me that attention has been diverted from the Trump nominees, else why the delays. Besides, it's all of a piece, Trump the not very witting Russo-stooge appoints people too compromised for anything more than a "de-ethics" probe. Cynics should rejoice at the world being pulled down to them even more than it was before.

I am operationally an optimist. Improvements happen largely because we want them and we don't stop wanting the improvements we get, so we don't slip back very far. Our unwillingness to let Trumpian devolution go beyond a certain point is evident. Not that it won't go far, just that devolutionary politics has a way of arranging its own demise, but only after sorely disappointing the people who thought they might gain from it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:46:31 AM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #779 on: January 11, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
Who is polling the Trump Voter Remorse?  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA