Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 441992 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #780 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
Who is polling the Trump Voter Remorse?  8)

Mine actually is working in reverse after the press conference.  The way he pimp slapped Clinton News Network and simply avoided answering some questions altogether almost made me wish I voted for him.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #781 on: January 11, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

Re Trump and the Buzzfeed commotion, I'm reminded of Wolf Hall, the series about the Tudor fixer for Henry VIII Thomas Cromwell. He's interrogating one of the accused in the Boleyn business, and it comes to pass that this poor fellow realizes that his persecution of Cardinal Wolsey, and his rejoicing publicly at his death, is the reason he has been caught up in Cromwell's net.

Cromwell says then: “Life pays you out, don’t you find? I need guilty men, Harry. So I found men who are guilty, though not necessarily as charged.”

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #782 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

Mine actually is working in reverse after the press conference.  The way he pimp slapped Clinton News Network and simply avoided answering some questions altogether almost made me wish I voted for him.

Really?

I thought it was the saddest moment of the day.
Among the other sad moments.

Well, I'm gonna return to music... not the TRUMPet though.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #783 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
Really?

I exaggerated for effect.  I'm fine with how I voted.  But I did find it hilarious.  He did the same to Univision during the campaign.  It will be interesting to see if the English language press rallies to CNN's defense, especially given its conduct, or if this disappears into the ether of the (less than) 24 hour news cycle.  Coverage of Trump has, unfortunately, resulted in some sloppy reporting recently, like CNN here, or WaPo on the "fake news" story and the Vermont power grid hacking story.  Trump and Bannon are proving pretty good at manipulation and distraction.  Proper sourcing and vetting is perhaps more essential now than ever, I would argue - without exaggeration. 

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #784 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
I exaggerated for effect.

That's how I read you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #785 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

Proper sourcing and vetting is perhaps more essential now than ever, I would argue - without exaggeration. 

I'm all in favor of that. While we're at it, if the intelligence services can do their duty by warning Trump of what he will face the next few years and in the process fuck him up real good as he tries to wriggle away from specific charges that he's Putin's minion while leaving the inference that he is generally exactly that, I'm OK with that, too. As long as he behaves as though the Russians have something on him, and the Russians do too, I'm content to wait for the evidence to come in when it does, how it does. There's no need to hack a poor slob who's obviously been hacked enough. He's really hacked himself better than anyone else could, the blabbering idiot. But then (heh!), I could be wrong about that, couldn't I?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #786 on: January 11, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
Could just be some fat guy in Jersey.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #787 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
But then (heh!), I could be wrong about that, couldn't I?

Sure can.  I mean, you went on about the demise of the Republican party not too long ago, so your powers of prognostication are, shall we say, in doubt.

When Trump and Putin meet, I'm guessing the public face put on will be as congenial as can be in the current environment.  However, I heed Chuck D's sage advice.

Could just be some fat guy in Jersey.

What is Chris Christie doing these days?

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #788 on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »

He's really hacked himself better than anyone else could, the blabbering idiot. But then (heh!), I could be wrong about that, couldn't I?
He really has trouble completing a full sentence, jumping onto something else before coming back to some of his initial thoughts.  This reminded me of some elder family members who had minor strokes.   Does a US president has to pass some kind of health exam before being confirm in office ?
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #789 on: January 11, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
Does a US president has to pass some kind of health exam before being confirm in office ?

No, and thank goodness for that.  Imagine how FDR would have fared, especially in '44.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #790 on: January 11, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
I perused the damning document on BuzzFeed, all 35 pages of it.  Some tidbits of interest from the Summary sections:

Quote from: Very Reliable Source
Suggestion from source close to TRUMP and MANAFORT that Republican campaign team happy to have Russia as media bogeyman to mask more extensive corrupt business ties to China and other emerging countries.

This seems odd as no one important or informed really groups China in with emerging countries anymore.

Talk now in Kremlin of TRUMP withdrawing from presidential race altogether, but this still largely wishful thinking by more liberal elements in Moscow.

Hmm.

Kremlin engaging with several high profile players, including STEIN, PAGE, and (former DIA Director Michael Flynn), and funding their recent visits to Moscow.

STEIN, as in Jill Stein.  (Stein high profile?)  And just why doesn't Flynn merit all caps?

The salacious sex bits were pretty tame, I thought.  I'm not convinced that Trump wouldn't just buy American for what is alleged.  Even going for classy gals and not Backpage gals, Trump could have arranged the very specific act mentioned for only five or six grand, and that's assuming three girls who know how to keep their traps shut.  Given that Trump married one of his mistresses, and there's no dead girl/live boy accusation, this doesn't seem to be too potent.

Apparently, if the dates on the documents are to be believed, this has been around since last summer, but it surfaced now.  Nothing unusual in that timing.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #791 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
Trump could have arranged the very specific act mentioned for only five or six grand,
This is a rather specific thing for you to know about the market price of.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
This is a rather specific thing for you to know about the market price of.

Don't tell my wife.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #793 on: January 11, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
Don't tell my wife.
Hey, Oregon is a freaky place. When I visited in August, my motel had the surprise amenity of a free new condom on the nightstand.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #794 on: January 11, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
Hey, Oregon is a freaky place. When I visited in August, my motel had the surprise amenity of a free condom on the nightstand.

That's where I left it.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #795 on: January 11, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »

Sure can.  I mean, you went on about the demise of the Republican party not too long ago, so your powers of prognostication are, shall we say, in doubt.

Instead of demise we got something else. The White Panthers control most of the state houses and state legislatures, and that control adds up to a major party of some kind that's in a tussle between the old ideology and the new populism. I see a decisive win for either as extinction, and the combination looks pretty unstable. The old segregationist Dems were New Dealers for white people. Maybe Trump can square that circle, but that's a party very different from the one the RNC wants. A Phoenix rising from the ashes of the Club for Growth? Who's got to die so the Repubs can live? I don't know, but somebody's got to.

I perused the damning document on BuzzFeed, all 35 pages of it.  Some tidbits of interest from the Summary sections:

The salacious sex bits were pretty tame, I thought.  I'm not convinced that Trump wouldn't just buy American for what is alleged.  Even going for classy gals and not Backpage gals, Trump could have arranged the very specific act mentioned for only five or six grand, and that's assuming three girls who know how to keep their traps shut.  Given that Trump married one of his mistresses, and there's no dead girl/live boy accusation, this doesn't seem to be too potent.

Thing is, Trump really is narcissistic enough not to get that it's not er, secure to do in Russia what he does here, assuming he does the kind of things his boastful talk suggests. And there's more than his succession of trophy marriages that's at stake. Maybe you could convince me that it won't ever make much difference to our allies what a rotten scumbag Trump is, if you had a super convincing argument, but I don't think you have one, and our allies have super convincing arguments that Putin is a real threat.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #796 on: January 11, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
Instead of demise we got something else.

Very insightful.

Thing is, Trump really is narcissistic enough not to get that it's not er, secure to do in Russia what he does here, assuming he does the kind of things his boastful talk suggests.

Looks like you did not watch the press conference.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #797 on: January 11, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »

Very insightful.

Yes, it will be.

I didn't watch the press conference. Did he make "news"?

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #798 on: January 11, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
Yes, it will be.

Written like a charlatan who proclaims the end of the world, and then when it doesn't happen, selects a new date.

I didn't watch the press conference. Did he make "news"?

Check WaPo, WSJ, NY Times, et al.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #799 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »

Written like a charlatan who proclaims the end of the world, and then when it doesn't happen, selects a new date.

Check WaPo, WSJ, NY Times, et al.

No, I want your take on it, the Emperors opinion, not "facts".

As for being a charlatan, if I was I'd set a date, which I don't do. Repub extinction is their plan for themselves, following the Great White God as long as they can ride it. Only a charlatan would profess to know when they run out of that god. I confess I don't know, only that running out of white people could be something like peak oil. Could they frack more whites into existence?