Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 493103 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #6920 on: November 10, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »
but there’s plenty of precedent for electing child abusers to various offices such as Speaker of the House.

I know, right.  Former Oregon Governor Neil Goldschmidt is an admitted child rapist, and the activity happened shortly before he served in the Carter Administration.  Former Oregon Representative David Wu liked to get dressed up like Tigger, pop others' pills, and get rubdowns from young folks.  (To be fair, he was/is probably only a semi-perv.)  Portland Mayor Sam Adams killed his career by having an affair with an underage boy right before taking office, and new allegations have surfaced recently.  The City of Seattle recently experienced some turmoil with its mayor (he resigned) who had/has a fondness for underage companions.  Anthony Weiner merely aspired to be a pedophile, though he's getting more time than Goldschmidt served (none).  I'm sure these fine, fine gentleman all held and/or hold very sophisticated and enlightened views on all manner of issues.

If the Alabama Governor chooses to delay the vote to dump Moore, it would only be just for Dems to win.  If a different Republican runs and wins, that will be acceptable, but could end up resulting in more legislation being passed.  The alternative of the Senate not seating Moore in the event he runs and wins would also be a great outcome, though it is hard to see that happening.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #6921 on: November 10, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
Quote from: Todd link=topic=26377.msg1105182#msg1105182
  I'm sure these fine, fine gentleman all held and/or hold very sophisticated and enlightened views on all manner of issues.
Undoubtedly. My point about Moore’s views is that they should have ordinarily been disqualifying even if he wasn’t a pedophile; it’s not as though he ever had the veneer of respectability of e.g. a Dennis Hastert. But o tempora, o mores, etc.

If the Alabama Governor chooses to delay the vote to dump Moore, it would only be just for Dems to win.  If a different Republican runs and wins, that will be acceptable, but could end up resulting in more legislation being passed.  The alternative of the Senate not seating Moore in the event he runs and wins would also be a great outcome, though it is hard to see that happening.
I realise this is probably a dumb view at this point in political time, but I’d rather not have the possibility of a Moore senatorship even if it also comes with the increased likelihood of a Doug Jones senatorship. (Jones is obviously a good candidate for the office and hopefully he will win some statewide position or other eventually though.) The Senate passing some legislation is a trade-off I can live with. Probably.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:53:24 PM by amw »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6922 on: November 10, 2017, 06:53:15 PM »
My point about Moore’s views is that they should have ordinarily been disqualifying even if he wasn’t a pedophile

It's Alabama.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #6923 on: November 10, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »

It's Alabama.
I’m fairly sure they rejected David Duke (or maybe that was Louisiana?) a couple of decades ago.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6924 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:29 PM »
I’m fairly sure they rejected David Duke (or maybe that was Louisiana?) a couple of decades ago.

That was Louisiana.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #6925 on: November 10, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
Undoubtedly. My point about Moore’s views is that they should have ordinarily been disqualifying even if he wasn’t a pedophile; it’s not as though he ever had the veneer of respectability of e.g. a Dennis Hastert. But o tempora, o mores, etc.
I realise this is probably a dumb view at this point in political time, but I’d rather not have the possibility of a Moore senatorship even if it also comes with the increased likelihood of a Doug Jones senatorship. (Jones is obviously a good candidate for the office and hopefully he will win some statewide position or other eventually though.) The Senate passing some legislation is a trade-off I can live with. Probably.

Libertarians don't want to grow up and take responsibility, or have an ideology anyone could practice. Roll your eyes, Teen Philosophers, give us a"yeah, whatever".

I think you accidentally "adulted", amw, by suggesting that Moore could be unfit in a way outside purely cynical calculation.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:20:00 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #6926 on: November 10, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »

Understand that if you're anti-anti-Trump and anti-anti-Moore you are for them. That's why I have contempt for the National Review, too dainty, too principled to endorse Trump while they continue to argue about how awful his opponents are. Their principles are shit, they hate any democracy that isn't a thinly disguised theocracy, they despise who Trump despises in a slightly more civilized manner with proper English.

They do write well over there.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:35:58 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6927 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55:08 AM »
Trump-Putin - a joint statement on Syria, but only a short, unofficial conversation before the group photo
http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/56048

"Fwiw, a State Dept official told me the Putin-Trump meeting didn’t happen because “we had said we needed a real deliverable on Syria or no meeting. No deliverable on Syria, so...”"
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/929266193155928065

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #6928 on: November 11, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »
If a different Republican runs and wins, that will be acceptable, but could end up resulting in more legislation being passed.

Based on Luther Strange’s tenure so far, I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #6929 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »

McConnell Joins Ryan in Walking Back False Promise on Tax Bill

They "erred", they "misspoke".

In order to get maximum tax cuts for the very wealthy donors it's important that other taxes not be cut. That's how supply side cuts "work", GDP positive cuts take room away from cuts at the top, so if there are any it's window dressing, which it's permissible to "err" about until you get caught.

What if Repubs wanted to help actual small businesses and most Americans? They might cut their taxes, thereby raising GDP and helping big businesses in the bargain. You want to help big businesses, Repubs? Here's an idea, cut taxes on their customers. That way everyone benefits.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #6930 on: November 11, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
They erred and misspoke when they said they could govern   ;D
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #6931 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »

Trump Surrenders to Russia in Syria and Says He Believes Putin’s Election Meddling Denials

The article points out that Iran is the winner. The U.S. wants to prevent the formation of a Shia corridor from Hezbollah to Tehran, which involves making and keeping friendships with Sunnis and Shia, complicated by the fracturing of Iraq. Our own interest is to oppose the extremists that will attack us and our allies, and regimes that support them.

Trump thinks he's hardline on Iraq. He is a moron, he'll give them anything if it comes through Putin. It just did.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #6932 on: November 11, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »
      Trump thinks he's hardline on Iraq.

He also thinks he's one of the smartest people he knows.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #6933 on: November 11, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »

How to explain the surprisingly strong Obamacare signups

Nonstop coverage in the media on the law’s assault — including the premium increases — has led some consumers to simply assume health care would be unobtainable.

But on the other hand, a curious Streisand effect may take some credit for the initial success, though as Lodes notes, it’s too early to tell. The Streisand effect is when someone tries to hide or suppress something and accidentally creates publicity through those efforts. (For Barbra Streisand, it was trying to suppress photos of her mansion.)

Repubs broadcast as loud as they could "OCare is dead! Don't even bother looking behind the curtain!", so people did and guess what? They found the real ObamaCare, not the propaganda version. Repubs managed not only to fail at death spiraling health care, they are boosting it.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6934 on: November 11, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
The Graun is starting to get it: After a year of Trump, good news for Europe – he doesn’t care about us.  Time to reshape (or kill) transatlanticism.

Also from the Graun: Ain't Mikey cute? 

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6935 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
Putin's spokesman Peskov now says that the question of Russian meddling didn't come up at all in the conversation, Trump refers to, according to Businessinsider.
No matter what, there's no doubt that Trump is thinking a lot about his base in his statements.

The wonders of current politics ...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:00:14 AM by Turner »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #6936 on: November 11, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »
Putin's spokesman Peskov now says that the question of Russian meddling didn't come up at all in the conversation, Trump refers to, according to Businessinsider.
No matter what, there's no doubt that Trump is thinking a lot about his base in his statements.

He has always been only a TV celebrity, playing to his fans.  So much for being President of all the people.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spineur

« Reply #6937 on: November 12, 2017, 11:07:39 AM »
Maybe he is being manipulated by Xi as well.  Does China really want a denuclearized Korean peninsula ?  Do they have the faintest clue how to get to that point ?  In asia people say things to please their guest/host.  They rarely mean it litterally.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia/former-intelligence-officials-say-trump-is-being-manipulated-by-putin-idUSKBN1DC0TV

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6938 on: November 12, 2017, 07:23:11 PM »
AmPo reports on the National Defense Authorization Act: Senate and House negotiators strike defense bill deal that outspends Trump  OK, so DOD gets more money.  But AmPo left something out.  (I did a search for the last 60 days on amendments to the bill, and didn't find anything pertaining to this subject.)

From The Hill: Monopoly critics decry ‘Amazon amendment’

(Dig this bit about a Representative from the State of Washington - which is a coincidence, I'm sure:

Another member of the House Armed Services Committee, Rep. Rick Larsen (D-Wash.), offered a more pointed defense of Section 801.

“This isn’t about Amazon, although Amazon lobbied for it. It’s about trying to create online space for purchasing so that [the Department of Defense] can get something for value,” Larsen argued.
")

From The Intercept: Congress Prepares to Send Major Gift to Amazon, While Trump Battles “Amazon Washington Post”

It's just so unfair to use the shortened title "AmPo".  AmPo reports the straight scoop on all subjects. 

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA