Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 325523 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #8140 on: January 13, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
So where did you pick up the petty and sophomoric usage of "Democrat" as a modifier?  I'm used to hearing it from Republican hacks and true believers.

It is the proper way to describe all things associated with the sophomoric Democrat Party.  It is perfectly fine if you consider me a Republican hack or true believer.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #8141 on: January 13, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

It is the proper way to describe all things associated with the sophomoric Democrat Party.  It is perfectly fine if you consider me a Republican hack or true believer.

Okie doke!

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #8142 on: January 13, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »

Yep, and it's win-win for him.  If there's no deal, some Salvadorans leave or are deported, making his base happy.  (No way 200K leave, of course.)  If there's a deal, he gets a bit of money for part of his wall, making his base happy.  Hell, he'll probably crow about how whatever bill comes out of Congress is all about love.  Immigrant bashing is a time-tested political winner.

I think it is usually a coincidence when his short-sighted and stupid policies happen to result in some short-term political gain.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8143 on: January 13, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »
I think it is usually a coincidence when his short-sighted and stupid policies happen to result in some short-term political gain.

Yet his short-sightedness and stupidity resulted in him winning the presidency.  I can only imagine what the dotard might have accomplished with you advising him.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #8144 on: January 13, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
Chelsea Manning files to run for U.S. Senate in Maryland

Will this be the most entertaining Democrat primary of the year? 
I mean she's obviously not going to beat the head of the DSCC, someone who can easily pump $10 million into his own race by fearmongering about unelectable candidates—it's obviously a profile raising & personal publicity effort for her. If she were smart she'd use the name recognition to become like, a state rep or city council member or head of a local Democratic Party unit for a few years and build connections with labour and military orgs and black churches etc and then maybe run again in a few years once she has a base. Since it's Manning and she's kind of an idiot (said with all love and respect for her whistleblowing), she's probably doing it to set up for a presidential run in 2024.

We're not going to get a lot of fun Dem primaries this year though—I was hoping for one in Texas but it seems Joaquín Castro has decided not to run against Beto O'Rourke for the time being. Some of the California open seats in the House will be fun, I guess.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8145 on: January 14, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
The false alarm in Hawaii revealed an abdication of leadership by Trump

final lines:

"The result is that there was actually one message Trump sent to Hawaiians on Saturday.

You’re on your own."

Offline Fidgety

« Reply #8146 on: January 14, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
:) What is great about this forum is that I am learning who to put on my ignore list.

Different year, same swill.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #8147 on: January 14, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »

In what way is it proper? I'm seriously asking. I've been hearing this "Democrat Party" thing from GOPers for years, and I have yet to understand what it is supposed to accomplish. The only thing I can think of is that they (a) want to remove the idea of democratic from the party's identity, and/or (b) associate the term "Democrat" with other terms ending in -crat that have negative connotations: bureaucrat, autocrat, aristocrat, etc.

But if it's neither of those things, I'm at a loss. I'd really like to know the purpose of the usage.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #8148 on: January 14, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »
In what way is it proper? I'm seriously asking. I've been hearing this "Democrat Party" thing from GOPers for years, and I have yet to understand what it is supposed to accomplish. The only thing I can think of is that they (a) want to remove the idea of democratic from the party's identity, and/or (b) associate the term "Democrat" with other terms ending in -crat that have negative connotations: bureaucrat, autocrat, aristocrat, etc.

But if it's neither of those things, I'm at a loss. I'd really like to know the purpose of the usage.
Newt Gingrich started it, I believe, and his initial reasoning was the first one (something about how the Democratic Party doesn’t truly represent democracy or democratic values but only represents the interests of self-described Democrats..... it was a whole messaging thing in the 1994 elections) but subsequent commentators have kept it alive mostly under the belief that it annoys Democratic politicians and pundits.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:11:19 PM by amw »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8149 on: January 14, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
In what way is it proper? I'm seriously asking.

For me it's simple: it's always amusing to watch some Democrats get worked up, either a little or a lot, about the use of the word Democrat vs Democratic, as if it means something important.  Different people may offer different answers.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8150 on: January 14, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
Regarding the article I linked to - is anyone here is interested in what happened in Hawaii - I thought one of the most important juxtapositions highlighted in the article was that the mainstream media, when it became clear it was false, did an effective and fast job of getting that information out, and attempting to calm and reassure.

...whereas Trump's first tweet - three hours later - was to attack mainstream media again as "fake news".

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #8151 on: January 14, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »

For me it's simple: it's always amusing to watch some Democrats get worked up, either a little or a lot, about the use of the word Democrat vs Democratic, as if it means something important.  Different people may offer different answers.

Like I said, petty and sophomoric.

Newt Gingrich started it, I believe, and his initial reasoning was the first one (something about how the Democratic Party doesn’t truly represent democracy or democratic values but only represents the interests of self-described Democrats..... it was a whole messaging thing in the 1994 elections) but subsequent commentators have kept it alive mostly under the belief that it annoys Democratic politicians and pundits.

According to Wikipedia, it goes back to the 1940s.  People forget how much the Republicans hated FDR and the New Deal.  They've always wanted to roll it all back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

'Republicans [...] disliked the implication that Democratic Party implied to listeners that Democrats "are somehow the anointed custodians of the concept of democracy'

Well, maybe if the Republican Party wasn't so hostile to democracy, people wouldn't think that.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:09:17 PM by Daverz »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #8152 on: January 14, 2018, 04:07:46 PM »
Historian finds German decree banishing Trump's grandfather

Royal decree ordered Friedrich Trump to leave Bavaria and never come back after he failed to do military service

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8153 on: January 14, 2018, 05:06:00 PM »
Like I said, petty and sophomoric.

According to Wikipedia, it goes back to the 1940s.  People forget how much the Republicans hated FDR and the New Deal.  They've always wanted to roll it all back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

'Republicans [...] disliked the implication that Democratic Party implied to listeners that Democrats "are somehow the anointed custodians of the concept of democracy'

Well, maybe the Republican Party wasn't so hostile to democracy, people wouldn't think that.

This makes it all worth it.

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #8154 on: January 14, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »

I'm not surprised that Gingrich had something to do with it (or, more accurately, its resurrection). The GOP had already started to drift farther to the right since Reagan, but that Gingrich period marked the beginning of a steeper descent into the loony-tune party we see today.

It doesn't work me up; it just confuses me. As a rhetorical device, it seems too abstruse to be effective. I will say, however, that it's useful to me in that when I see/hear someone using it in a non-ironic way, I know immediately that he/she need not be taken seriously.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8155 on: January 14, 2018, 06:07:04 PM »
Flake to denounce Trump media attacks as Stalinist in Senate speech

Anne Applebaum beat him to it by a couple months.  Flake will use stale hyperbole.  Sad!

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • WT Sherman
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #8156 on: January 14, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »

Royal decree ordered Friedrich Trump to leave Bavaria and never come back after he failed to do military service

Anecdotal evidence that heel spurs are hereditary.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #8157 on: January 15, 2018, 06:14:08 AM »

Bureaucratic obtuseness in action.

"he failed to de-register from his homeland" --- I wonder if such a notion as "de-registering" existed in the Kingdom of Bavaria back then and what was the corresponding procedure. ???
Regele şi Patria!

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #8158 on: January 15, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »
Regarding the article I linked to - is anyone here is interested in what happened in Hawaii - I thought one of the most important juxtapositions highlighted in the article was that the mainstream media, when it became clear it was false, did an effective and fast job of getting that information out, and attempting to calm and reassure.

...whereas Trump's first tweet - three hours later - was to attack mainstream media again as "fake news".

The solution being suggested to avert similar crises is that there will now be one person to press buttons and another to make sure the button presser presses the right button! You can't make this stuff up. I would suggest they move the "test' button away from the "alert" button, or maybe make it a different color? ;) Or put a sign next to the alert button saying: Yo, Bozo: Don't press this one unless we are under attack.

As for president Shithole, I find more egregious that he just keeps lying about what he said. And someone should teach him how not to sound like a guilty ten year old: "I'm the least racist person you've ever interviewed." Having to listen to that level of stupidity on a daily basis is tiring and disheartening. 

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8159 on: January 15, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
As for president Shithole, I find more egregious that he just keeps lying about what he said. And someone should teach him how not to sound like a guilty ten year old: "I'm the least racist person you've ever interviewed." Having to listen to that level of stupidity on a daily basis is tiring and disheartening. 

♫ That’s entertainment, that’s entertainment . . . (well, what would you call it?)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK