Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 535428 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #9880 on: April 18, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
     Trump Should Be Worried by Cohen Probe. Really Worried.

Naming the president as subject to potential felony prosecution would be a game-changer in Congress. It’s one thing for congressional Republicans to dispute potential Mueller findings that might connect Trump to Russian collusion -- on the assumption that such evidence even exists, which it might well not.

It would be another thing altogether for Republicans to ignore independent career prosecutors’ naming of Trump as an unindicted felon. They would come under huge pressure to impeach, and pay a huge political price if they did not.

Meanwhile, Trump would not be able to do anything about it. A potential felony charge would hang over his presidency. On leaving office, he could face charges and even prison.

Isn’t that why there is a presidential pardon ? #46 will no doubt provide that.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #9881 on: April 19, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »
Isn’t that why there is a presidential pardon ? #46 will no doubt provide that.

Pardoning Trump might not be a high priority for a #46 of either party. He's seen as far worse than Nixon, someone who can't explain why he consistently acts to protect Putin while doing nothing to protect the election process from the next attack. A more civilized era would call him a traitor on the evidence in plain sight.

Protecting Putin is not getting along with Russia. During the Cold War we made agreements with the Soviets while opposing them and supporting dissidents. That was a way of getting along and not getting along that served both realistic/idealistic goals. Americans tend to do that, struggle to strike a balance. Trump treats Russia policy as subservient to his personal interests about which the worst must be suspected, and is. On Fox Judge Napolitano can't help telling the truth, that Trump can't meet with Mueller because both the truth and his lies will condemn him.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #9882 on: April 19, 2018, 06:18:37 AM »
     Why don't Trump's friends and associates pretend to think everything he did with Michael Cohen was above board?

"They're going to threaten him with a long prison term and try to turn him into a canary that sings," the Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz said.

But what if Cohen doesn't know the words?

That feels like the third possibility we should be discussing: that Cohen has nothing of value to tell federal prosecutors about Trump, because they never engaged in criminal wrongdoing together.

Of course, that's not my working theory of the case. But isn't that a possibility the president's advocates and defenders should want to pretend is plausible?

Yet they don't. And it reflects a weird, unspoken assumption in discussing the president's legal troubles, going back at least to the president's declaration that his personal business interests outside Russia are a "red line" the special counsel Robert Mueller must not cross.

That's what I mean. Why don't Trump's defenders presume his innocence? If his defenders don't, why should I?

Trump allies worry Cohen will flip

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:24:21 AM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #9883 on: April 19, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »
     Pardoning Trump might not be a high priority for a #46 of either party. He's seen as far worse than Nixon, someone who can't explain why he consistently acts to protect Putin while doing nothing to protect the election process from the next attack. A more civilized era would call him a traitor on the evidence in plain sight.

An era less beholden to partisanship would at least agree on the main points of what evidence exists.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #9884 on: April 19, 2018, 07:36:34 AM »
An era less beholden to partisanship would at least agree on the main points of what evidence exists.

My point is they effectively agree without saying so. If Dershowitz thinks he is defending Trump by supposing Cohen will "sing like a canary" I wonder what his theory of the case is. It's not so different from my own. Trump is threatened by both the truth and by his own lies.

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #9885 on: April 19, 2018, 08:07:29 AM »
Samantha Bee perfectly captures my feelings about the recent James Comey media blitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruThmuaxms

(After a montage of talking heads touting his bombshell revelations and the beanpole himself spouting the oft quoted words, Samanta, exasperated, says: "Morally unfit to be president? That's not a bombshell, that's how they answer the phone at the White House now!")

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #9886 on: April 19, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
     Trump attorney Michael Cohen withdraws libel lawsuits over Russia dossier

My grocery store isn't carrying the National Enquirer any more. I looked for it at the checkout line where I always see it, and no, it's gone. Of course the store is in the Deep State hellhole of Cambridge. Still, if you've lost Star Market.....

I wonder if Hildabeast is still dying of all of those diseases the Russo-trolls gave her. How can I find out now?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #9887 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
It must be a slow, painful death. In slow motion, with flashbacks. It will still be news come november 2020. You can’t let a good story go to waste. ;)

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #9888 on: April 19, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »
Did anyone mention that Trump is now being forced to pay the $25,000,000 in damages assessed for having defrauded a couple thousand people in the Trump University scam, an amount that does not quite make the victims whole? I'm curious about what our resident Trump supporters think about this.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:13:47 PM by BasilValentine »

Offline Bubbles

• aka Judge Fish
« Reply #9889 on: April 19, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »
That was something he did in PRIVATE about TEN YEARS AGO.  It has NO BEARING on his ability to act PRESIDENTIAL.

In fact, he wasn't even involved. That's all FAKE NEWS.

CROOKED HILLARY should be in JAIL!!

(How'd I do?)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:18:16 PM by The Fish Knows... »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #9890 on: April 19, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
That was something he did in PRIVATE about TEN YEARS AGO.  It has NO BEARING on his ability to act PRESIDENTIAL.

In fact, he wasn't even involved. That's all FAKE NEWS.

CROOKED HILLARY should be in JAIL!!
(How'd I do?)

Well, obviously, jailing Hillary is the first priority if we want to secure the country. Besides, Trump's misdeeds are way in the past and I have it on good authority that he has found Jesus and turned over a new leaf. We can be sure if he feels any further itch to skim money from charitable foundations, sexually assault girls and women, launder money for criminals across the globe, defraud thousands of vulnerable citizens, engage in self-dealing, violate the foreign corrupt practices act, violate housing discrimination and campaign finance laws, bribe attorneys general or, possibly, conspire against the United States, he will be able to resist temptation.
(Pretty good!)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:33:47 PM by BasilValentine »

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #9891 on: April 19, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »

I think it would be hard for a con-man and swindler to act presidential for any sustained time period.  I suppose that it's to Trump's credit that he hasn't tried to act presidential; it's not in him.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #9892 on: April 19, 2018, 05:45:00 PM »
I think it would be hard for a con-man and swindler to act presidential for any sustained time period.  I suppose that it's to Trump's credit that he hasn't tried to act presidential; it's not in him.

He is ever true to his contemptible self.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #9894 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
Did anyone mention that Trump is now being forced to pay the $25,000,000 in damages assessed for having defrauded a couple thousand people in the Trump University scam, an amount that does not quite make the victims whole? I'm curious about what our resident Trump supporters think about this.

Judge finalizes $25 million settlement in Trump’s fraud case

"A federal judge finalized the $25 million settlement between President Trump and students of his now shuttered Trump University on Monday, with New York’s attorney general claiming “victims of Donald Trump’s fraudulent university will finally receive the relief they deserve.”

The order from U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel – the same Indiana-born judge Trump called biased because of his “Mexican heritage” – comes a year after he first approved the settlement. It marks the end of two class-action lawsuits and a civil lawsuit from New York accusing Trump of “swindling thousands of Americans out of millions of dollars through Trump University,” in the words of New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

The circumstances are nothing short of bizarre: a sitting president of the United States has written a check for $25 million to a group of Americans who credibly claimed that he ripped them off by perpetrating a fraud.

You know things are bad for a president when a story like this goes almost entirely unnoticed by the public, eclipsed by a dozen or so more pressing scandals."
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #9895 on: April 20, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »

Comey memos reveal (surprise!) Republicans have blundered again

Then came the dopiest idea of all — threaten to subpoena the James B. Comey memos and then charge Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein with contempt when he refuses. Did it dawn on them that he would hand them over and that they would match almost identically with everything Comey has said or written? Apparently not. This crowd has blown itself up more times than Wile E. Coyote.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) and House Intelligence Committee Chair Nunes, for reasons known only to them, thought the memos’ release would be helpful to Trump. Wrong. The Comey memos released to the House and immediately leaked contain, it is fair to say, not a single helpful fact for Trump.

The Rosenstein gambit puzzles me. It looks like Nunes, Gowdy & co are doing defense pantomime. How don't they know what the memos would reveal? How don't they assume Trump will lie and Comey will be shown to be truthful about the contents of his contemporaneous notes?

Spineur

« Reply #9896 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Democratic party sues Trump, Wikileaks, Russia for election conspiracy

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/604343810/democrats-sue-russia-wikileaks-and-trump-campaign-over-election-conspiracy

I find it ironic to see Trump in the same basket as Mr Assange Wikileaks

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #9898 on: April 20, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
Democratic party sues Trump, Wikileaks, Russia for election conspiracy

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/604343810/democrats-sue-russia-wikileaks-and-trump-campaign-over-election-conspiracy

I find it ironic to see Trump in the same basket as Mr Assange Wikileaks

This seems to me to be more of a political move and I doubt if anything will come of it.  It would be fun if they succeed.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #9899 on: April 20, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »
Trump lied to me about his wealth to get onto the Forbes 400. Here are the tapes.

"In May 1984, an official from the Trump Organization called to tell me how rich Donald J. Trump was. I was reporting for the Forbes 400, the magazine’s annual ranking of America’s richest people, for the third year. In the previous edition, we’d valued Trump’s holdings at $200 million, only one-fifth of what he claimed to own in our interviews. This time, his aide urged me on the phone, I needed to understand just how loaded Trump really was.

The official was John Barron — a name we now know as an alter ego of Trump himself. When I recently rediscovered and listened, for first time since that year, to the tapes I made of this and other phone calls, I was amazed that I didn’t see through the ruse: Although Trump altered some cadences and affected a slightly stronger New York accent, it was clearly him. “Barron” told me that Trump had taken possession of the business he ran with his father, Fred. “Most of the assets have been consolidated to Mr. Trump,” he said. “You have down Fred Trump [as half owner] . . . but I think you can really use Donald Trump now.” Trump, through this sockpuppet, was telling me he owned “in excess of 90 percent” of his family’s business. With all the home runs Trump was hitting in real estate, Barron told me, he should be called a billionaire.

At the time, I suspected that some of this was untrue. I ran Trump’s assertions to the ground, and for many years I was proud of the fact that Forbes had called him on his distortions and based his net worth on what I thought was solid research.

But it took decades to unwind the elaborate farce Trump had enacted to project an image as one of the richest people in America. Nearly every assertion supporting that claim was untrue. Trump wasn’t just poorer than he said he was. Over time, I have learned that he should not have been on the first three Forbes 400 lists at all. In our first-ever list, in 1982, we included him at $100 million, but Trump was actually worth roughly $5 million — a paltry sum by the standards of his super-monied peers — as a spate of government reports and books showed only much later.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:41:43 PM by SimonNZ »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.