Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 699679 times)

Baron Scarpia

Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #10180 on: May 14, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
I have this sinking feeling that Republicans will hold both houses of Congress in 2018 and Trump will be re-elected in 2020.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #10181 on: May 14, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
White House can’t explain how Chinese financing of Trump-linked project doesn’t violate Constitution "I'll have to refer you to the Trump Organization."

"A National Review report about the Chinese government’s involvement in financing “an Indonesian theme park that will feature a Trump-branded golf course and hotels” came just one day after Trump posted a bizarre tweet on behalf of the Chinese phone company ZTE — a company that had been hit hard by the Commerce Department for violating a ban on American companies “selling components to ZTE for seven years after it illegally shipped goods made with U.S. parts to Iran and North Korea,” according to Reuters.

During Monday’s briefing, reporters repeatedly grilled Shah about what prompted Trump’s tweet promising to help ZTE — especially since the tweet came on the heels of a campaign in which Trump accused China of “the greatest single theft in the history of the world,” saying things like, “we can’t continue to allow China to rape our country.”

Shah had no good answers for them."

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #10182 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:55 AM »
I have this sinking feeling that Republicans will hold both houses of Congress in 2018 and Trump will be re-elected in 2020.

I cannot say anything firmer than, that I sincerely hope you are mistaken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

« Reply #10183 on: May 15, 2018, 03:29:59 AM »
I cannot say anything firmer than, that I sincerely hope you are mistaken.

Clinton/Weiner 2020

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10184 on: May 15, 2018, 04:37:39 AM »
Hold onto those little dreams, snypsss!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10186 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:09 AM »
Only the ostrich-like are surprised . . .

Republicans, cut the crocodile tears. You’ve always known Trump was a nasty boor.

POW!

Quote from: JenniferRubin
In short, Republicans should spare us the crocodile tears. They handed their party over to Trump, stuck with him and manage to rationalize virtually all of his behavior. Their party sold its political soul for a debt-generating tax cut. They have no right to trot out their indignation when Trump acts like Trump.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10187 on: May 15, 2018, 06:12:13 AM »
Some of the problems we face (e.g., President Trump’s receipt of foreign emoluments) arose because Congress didn’t do its job. Is impeachment proper when a past Congress didn’t even try to hold the president to the letter of the Constitution?

It depends on the circumstances. Here, the Constitution forbids the president from accepting foreign emoluments unless he receives congressional consent. Congress has not consented. Accordingly, the president’s receipt of foreign emoluments is illegal and injured persons may properly seek a remedy in federal court (we represent the plaintiffs in some of those cases).

The question of impeachment is more difficult. Some commentators think it would be unseemly for Congress to remove a president for illegal conduct that it could have done more to prevent (or that it could have authorized). That’s a fair point, as far as it goes. But congressional inaction isn’t a tacit warrant for the president to break the law, nor is it a “get-out-of-jail free” card in an impeachment hearing. Moreover, Trump’s receipt of foreign (and domestic) emoluments is part of a broader pattern of corrupt, nepotistic and financially self-interested dealings. This conduct has undermined the integrity of U.S. public policy and inflicted grave damage on our democratic system. To the extent there is any doubt about the propriety of impeaching Trump solely for receipt of foreign emoluments, we believe that a stronger article of impeachment would accuse him of implementing kleptocracy. Although any such article would require extensive factual investigation and legal debate — and we are not yet certain whether removal on that basis would be justified — it is a better framing of Trump’s wrongdoing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #10188 on: May 15, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »

North Korea Postpones Talks With South, Hinting Kim-Trump Summit Is in Peril

That's it, game over, man. It's a peace offensive, no way routine annual joint exercises disrupt talks now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline Zeus

• formerly Judge Fish
« Reply #10189 on: May 15, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
Trump Orders Help For Chinese Phone-Maker After China Approves Money For Trump Project

I noticed this was referenced above, but it bears repeating – this headline seems fairly representative of how far Trump (and his GOP enablers) have perverted our institutions.

It is just laughable how mentally contorted Trump's backers have become.  No spine, no character, no integrity. 

I guess that's what happens when they make a deal with the devil.   >:D

Sad, though, that we all have to pay for their colossal mistake.  That's not how divine justice is supposed to work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:11:00 PM by The Fish Knows... »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #10190 on: May 15, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
U.S. blocks UN call for investigation into Gaza deaths

"The U.S. blocked a UN Security Council statement calling for an investigation into the killing of 58 Palestinians by Israeli troops during protests on the Israel-Gaza border on Monday, reports Haaretz.

The U.S. stance: UN ambassador Nikki Haley said, "No country in this chamber would act with more restraint than Israel has," and echoed the White House response from yesterday, that Hamas bears all responsibility for the bloodshed. That comes as countries around the region and wider world have condemned the use of force on the protesters, and allies like the U.K. and France have implored Israel to show more restraint.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #10191 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
Oklahoma GOP candidate proposes euthanasia for disabled and poor to avoid food stamps

"In a Facebook post made by a page purporting to be for OK governor candidate Christopher Barnett, the administrator initially posted a poll about food stamp requirements — and then made comments claiming euthanasia is a solution to the “issue” of the poor and disabled.

“The ones who are disabled and can’t work…why are we required to keep them?” the Chrisforgov account responded. “Sorry but euthanasia is cheaper and doesn’t make everyone a slave to the Government [sic].”

Defending his now-deleted comments, the account admin mused as to why American taxpayers should “have to keep up people who cannot contribute to society any longer?”

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10192 on: May 16, 2018, 02:06:00 AM »
     North Korea Postpones Talks With South, Hinting Kim-Trump Summit Is in Peril

That's it, game over, man. It's a peace offensive, no way routine annual joint exercises disrupt talks now.

You know, it is almost as if they were playing him, all the time . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10193 on: May 16, 2018, 02:08:14 AM »
Oklahoma GOP candidate proposes euthanasia for disabled and poor to avoid food stamps

"In a Facebook post made by a page purporting to be for OK governor candidate Christopher Barnett, the administrator initially posted a poll about food stamp requirements — and then made comments claiming euthanasia is a solution to the “issue” of the poor and disabled.

“The ones who are disabled and can’t work…why are we required to keep them?” the Chrisforgov account responded. “Sorry but euthanasia is cheaper and doesn’t make everyone a slave to the Government [sic].”

Defending his now-deleted comments, the account admin mused as to why American taxpayers should “have to keep up people who cannot contribute to society any longer?”

I guess they’re not “Death Panels” if a Republican suggests them . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10194 on: May 16, 2018, 02:39:30 AM »
I guess they’re not “Death Panels” if a Republican suggests them . . . .

Or, as with other GOP application of Situational Ethics, they’re okay as long as we are sure “the right people” are dying.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #10195 on: May 16, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »

The right people keep dying in PutinLand.

Reports: Outspoken Russian Playwright Found Dead

The playright is dead, her husband who directed the play about Magnitsky is dead, too. Who knew Russian adoptions would be this difficult?

How much of TrumpPutin is about money or about an agreement to lift sanctions for election help may be hard to answer because the web of connections on the Trump side is dense with people out for personal gain. I will propose that making money for a number of players on the Trump side preceded the election and continued on, while the many connections between Russians and TrumpLand made an election/sanctions deal an opportunity too good to miss.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10196 on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:03 AM »

So if they are for euthanasia, it's for the completely wrong reasons...  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #10197 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
So if they are for euthanasia, it's for the completely wrong reasons...  ::)

Who are "they?" This is not a GOP office holder, or a GOP politician. This is someone who put himself forward in a GOP primary and who says his web site was hacked.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #10198 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »

"Let's keep Oklahoma red.  I truly believe that every Oklahoman should own firearms... not just one, but several."
"The Democrats have promised to assassinate me if I'm elected."
https://www.chrisforgov.com/home
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #10199 on: May 16, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
You people reposting this nonsense are as gullible as the idiots who believed the story that Hillary Clinton was running a child prostitution ring out of a pizza parlour. :)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.