Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 588168 times)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #13100 on: October 18, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »
It is extremely sad to see US politics dominated by bickering about details which, in essence, nobody gives a damn about, and have no impact whatsoever on people’s lives.

The triumph of banality....  >:(
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #13101 on: October 18, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
The triumph of banality....  >:(

It's worse than that.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13102 on: October 18, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
And the latest from Mr Classy:

Trump Organization sues resident who died in Trump Tower fire
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #13103 on: October 18, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
A very dangerous time to be that fine, fine man:

Feinstein says she would ‘absolutely’ favor reopening Kavanaugh investigation next year
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13104 on: October 18, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
If you didn't read my previous posts, my grandparents came over to the US in the 1920's LEGALLY. They did not get any handouts or claim victim status. They worked hard, served in the army in WWII. They did suffer a certain amount of discrimination but never whined about it. In short they and their children became contributors to society and not liabilities.
Maybe the US was more welcoming in the 1920's it is a century later? Maybe immigrants weren't considered rapists and criminals? Trump wasn't the president when your grandparents entered the US.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

« Reply #13106 on: October 18, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
Maybe the US was more welcoming in the 1920's it is a century later? Maybe immigrants weren't considered rapists and criminals? Trump wasn't the president when your grandparents entered the US.

It is definitely a revisionist history. The U.S. did have an immigration policy that welcomed a lot of workers in the early 20th century. Today the economy needs workers in low-wage jobs that are often filled by immigrants, but the US does not provide for enough legal immigrants to fill them. As a result US business exploits undocumented immigrants who become an underclass that they can exploit, since they have no legal recourse when they are mistreated. Undocumented immigrants are probably the hardest working segment of the US population.

It is not true that there was no legal immigration in the early 20th century. The derogatory word for Italian Americans was "wops," which was short for "with out papers." Also, in the 1930s, during the great depression, the government was plowing more than 6% of GDP into the WPA (work projects administration) to employ works whose jobs vanished in the economic crisis. About 10% of the white population of the US was on relief at that time. Legal immigrants were major beneficiaries of that and other similar programs. Now Federal welfare spending is about 2% of GDP.

The claim that Italian immigrants "did not whine" when they suffered discrimination is laughable.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #13107 on: October 18, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »

Lest we think things too rosy before, when the Irish came in across Boston Harbor and debarked off the penny ferry, they were met with signs reading N.I.N.A.—No Irish Need Apply.

There has probably always been a nasty "nativist" strain present to some degree.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
« Reply #13108 on: October 18, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »
Yep, and many who come from abroad, once they feel they’ve “made it”, will be the most “nativist” of all. The zeal of the convert... >:(

It’s like some Polish immigrants in the UK supporting Brexit, or some charnegos (i.e., Andalusian immigrants) in Barcelona clamouring for Catalan independence... ::)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:42:54 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #13109 on: October 18, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
     Immigration in The 1920s

I thought I might explain to all you fans of the illegal people idea how it is that so many people were legal at one time.

Prior to 1921, with one exception—the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882—immigration into the United States had never been systematically restricted by federal law. That changed with the 1921 Emergency Quota Act and the 1924 Immigration Act, which imposed for the first time, a limit on the number of immigrants allowed to enter the United States.

Is that clear enough or should I explain? The reason that millions of immigrants came to the US "legally" is that there was no law against any number of immigrants coming in, only specific grounds for the exclusion of individuals. There was no law for immigrants to break. So a vast number of Americans today descend from people who freely immigrated here.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:02:13 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

« Reply #13110 on: October 18, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
You failed to highlight one salient point in the interesting article cited.

Because of difficulties in determining the precise proportions of the 1890 population that belonged to each country, the law didn't take effect until 1929, at which point the economic collapse brought about by the onset of the Great Depression naturally reduced the immigrant flow to a trickle.

zamyrabyrd's people got in because of open borders while the good people of the US were desperately trying to stem the flow of "inferior races.  :laugh:

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #13111 on: October 18, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
The Right Finds the Perfect Weapon Against the Left

Imagine the perfect political and intellectual weapon. It would disable your adversaries by preoccupying them with their own vanities and squabbles, a bit like a drug so good that users focus on the high and stop everything else they are doing.

Such a weapon exists: It is called political correctness. But it is not a weapon against white men or conservatives, as is frequently alleged; rather, it is a weapon against the American left. To put it simply, the American left has been hacked, and it is now running in a circle of its own choosing, rather than focusing on electoral victories or policy effectiveness. Too many segments of the Democratic Party are self-righteously talking about identity politics, and they are letting other priorities slip.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-10-18/elizabeth-warren-dna-response-shows-failure-of-liberalism
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Christabel

« Reply #13112 on: October 18, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
     Immigration in The 1920s

I thought I might explain to all you fans of the illegal people idea how it is that so many people were legal at one time.

Prior to 1921, with one exception—the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882—immigration into the United States had never been systematically restricted by federal law. That changed with the 1921 Emergency Quota Act and the 1924 Immigration Act, which imposed for the first time, a limit on the number of immigrants allowed to enter the United States.

Is that clear enough or should I explain? The reason that millions of immigrants came to the US "legally" is that there was no law against any number of immigrants coming in, only specific grounds for the exclusion of individuals. There was no law for immigrants to break. So a vast number of Americans today descend from people who freely immigrated here.

When people were needed to build your nation, yes.   But it takes a bit of wit and experience to get that.  Today the consequences of uncontrolled borders are, apart from violence from the middle east, lowered wages altogether for the population in the supply and demand equation.  But if you live on the east coast in the urban bubble what the hell would you care about ordinary folks trying to raise families?  As long as your own virtue remains intact....  And as for the Left more generally, the same goes for safe spaces and all other forms of pathological altruism and consciousness-devouring over-protection.  The only thing they don't want to protect is the mainstream American people.  It's one of the many reasons you got Trump.  But keep those fingers in the ears...

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #13113 on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
When people were needed to build your nation, yes.   But it takes a bit of wit and experience to get that.  Today the consequences of uncontrolled borders are, apart from violence from the middle east, lowered wages altogether for the population in the supply and demand equation.  But if you live on the east coast in the urban bubble what the hell would you care about ordinary folks trying to raise families?  As long as your own virtue remains intact....  And as for the Left more generally, the same goes for safe spaces and all other forms of pathological altruism and consciousness-devouring over-protection.  The only thing they don't want to protect is the mainstream American people.  It's one of the many reasons you got Trump.  But keep those fingers in the ears...

From what I can glean from this incoherent blather ^ ^ ^, you seem to be suffering from several delusions. What violence from the middle east? It's nearly non-existent. And what makes you think the millions upon millions of urban dwellers trying to raise their families aren't ordinary people? They certainly are the majority and so, statistically, the very definition of ordinary.

« Reply #13114 on: October 18, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »

Pathological altruism? Altruism is a pathology?

I've lived in "urban bubbles" where you think "ordinary folks" don't live. As BasilValentine mentioned, urban residents are the great majority of Americans and I can't imagine why we're not "ordinary." There are a fair number of immigrants from south of the border where I live and have lived. They are generous, altruistic people. Maybe that is why they are to be despised, if altruism is a pathology. They've offered me help when I've needed it badly (sometimes in broken English). I think we need more like them here. Perhaps we should send our military out to rescue that "Caravan" from Honduras making its way through Mexico and bring those valuable people here, with full legal status. Immigration is an economic stimulus which creates jobs, if done right.

Online milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #13115 on: October 18, 2018, 02:13:31 PM »
Wrong, it is more than 90% about drugs brought into the US by illegals. The Honduran woman shown on TIME ragazine was not atypical of a parent who had a comfortable life in her country of origin but just upped and left with her 3 year old without notifying her husband or other two children for about two months. She had already been thrown out once, so returning was an act not of desperation but sheer arrogance.

Now Hondurans are attracting people to come together like the Crusades to storm the southern border of the US, now up to about 4000 but the last time I checked their leader got caught in Guatemala. It seems that Soros (who would have guessed) is actually bankrolling them.

If you didn't read my previous posts, my grandparents came over to the US in the 1920's LEGALLY. They did not get any handouts or claim victim status. They worked hard, served in the army in WWII. They did suffer a certain amount of discrimination but never whined about it. In short they and their children became contributors to society and not liabilities.
Some in my family "whined" about not whining about it just like you. Same exact thing. We all here the sound of your voice and this is the most mundane play in the book. It's been going on a long time too. "we never complained...when they threw rocks at us...we worked hard..." Complain complain. 

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #13116 on: October 18, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
Trump Threatens To Order Military To ‘Close Our Southern Border’ Over Immigration

[...] "Trump’s tweets came after his favorite TV program, “Fox & Friends,” devoted several segments to the caravan."

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #13117 on: October 18, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Trump Threatens To Order Military To ‘Close Our Southern Border’ Over Immigration

[...] "Trump’s tweets came after his favorite TV program, “Fox & Friends,” devoted several segments to the caravan."

BTW, local people who actually practice charity are in Trumpworld agents of Soros
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1053049552176058369

Stranahan House Ft Lauderdale Fl

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #13118 on: October 18, 2018, 08:36:42 PM »
Since this thread somehow diverted into economics, this eminent professor has some relevant things to say about how illegal immigration (also discussed here with regard to open or monitored borders) affects the economy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K8P2J3MAitg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K8P2J3MAitg</a>
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #13119 on: October 18, 2018, 08:44:11 PM »
If anyone would like to read the scientific report, it is here.

https://www.scribd.com/document/390900783/Elizabeth-Warren-DNA-test-results-by-Carlos-Bustamante#from_embed

Good old SCIENCE proved that Elizabeth Warren has LESS Indian DNA than the average American citizen. Thanks!
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor