Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 749298 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #16220 on: June 10, 2019, 09:02:05 PM »
Kentucky Crowd Cheers Valedictorian’s Trump Quote, Then Learns Obama Said It

"Wisdom comes from the unlikeliest places. And on Saturday, Ben Bowling, the valedictorian of Bell County High School in Pineville, Ky., made an inspirational appeal that left his graduating classmates and their parents dumbstruck.

“This is the part of my speech where I share some inspirational quotes I found on Google,” he told the packed auditorium. “‘Don’t just get involved. Fight for your seat at the table. Better yet, fight for a seat at the head of the table’ — Donald J. Trump.”

The crowd burst into applause. President Trump is quite popular in Pineville and the surrounding area, which is the heart of coal country and overwhelmingly supported the president in the 2016 election after he promised to bring coal jobs back to America.

Mr. Bowling, though, wasn’t finished. “Just kidding,” he said. “That was Barack Obama.”

The cheering abruptly stopped. The crowd went mostly silent. There was a lone boo."

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16221 on: June 11, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »
This indicates that your ignorance of America is absolute.  I'm neither "lucky" nor rich (by American standards), yet Trump's actions thus far have benefitted me, primarily in the form of a tax cut.  The benefit was small.  The tariff threats have had no impact on my life, and if tariffs that can impact me go into effect, I may have to spend a bit more on some consumer products, unless I switch to alternative products.  In cases where I cannot find a suitable substitute, I will have to devote up to tens of dollars more a month to various things.  None of the big issues Trump deals with has impacted me. 

Well, OK, that's not entirely true.  Where I work, two employees had to be let go because of their immigration status.  One was moderately skilled and from Mexico.  He has been replaced.  Another was highly skilled and from China.  She has been replaced.  As a result of the latter situation, I did have to wait one business day to have a meeting with the in-house recruiter about filling an open position in one of my departments, so I guess there's that.

It really would be super if one of the GMG Big Brain Brigade could detail the specific actions Trump can take that will have a material, direct impact on me.

Now, if that wasn't enough, you post additional drivel like this:

Again, you simply have no idea how US politics works. 

Blabbering about luck is for morons.

Your arrogance is laughable. Do you think I take your comments seriously? I do have low self-esteem, but not that low!  ;D You have lost all authority and credibitity long ago. I wonder if anyone in this thread takes you seriously anymore.

You are lucky to be born a white american and have a decent job. You are lucky the tax deductions you use where not taken away. Truck drivers in the US haven't been as lucky. Their deductions were affected. A lot.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/STSURqlkhT4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/STSURqlkhT4</a>

You where not born in China or Mexico. You are luckier than those people. They get deported. You don't have to worry about being deported, do you? Also, didn't you know that Obama deported people too. It's not just Trump. Tariffs may not impact you directly, but later you may see some effects of it. That's economy.

If non-Americans can't understand American politics, I suppose you as an American are totally ignorant of the politics outside the US? So, please don't comment European politics until you recognise non-Americans can understand what happens in the US.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:27:20 PM by 71 dB »
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16222 on: June 11, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »
House moves to enforce subpoenas against Barr and McGahn

"The House of Representatives has passed a resolution enabling lawmakers to go to court to enforce their subpoenas against the US attorney general, William Barr, and former White House counsel Don McGahn. The Trump administration has rebuffed Democrats’ attempts to dive more deeply into the Trump-Russia investigation in the aftermath of Robert Mueller’s report on the issue.

House Democrats passed the resolution on a party-line vote of 229-191 on Tuesday."

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16223 on: June 12, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »
Trump says he would accept dirt on political rivals from foreign governments

"President Donald Trump says he would listen if a foreign government approached him with damaging information about a political rival -- and wouldn't necessarily report the contact to the FBI.

"I think you might want to listen," Trump said in an interview with ABC News that aired on Wednesday. "There isn't anything wrong with listening."

It was a stark -- if not entirely surprising -- expression of nonchalance from the President over foreign efforts to influence US politics. Trump has consistently downplayed Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 contest, and cast doubts on US intelligence agencies' assessments of the meddling.

It's a crime for a campaign to knowingly solicit or accept items of value from foreign nationals."

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #16224 on: June 13, 2019, 02:45:41 AM »

"President Donald Trump says he would listen if a foreign government approached him with damaging information about a political rival -- and wouldn't necessarily report the contact to the FBI.

"I think you might want to listen," Trump said in an interview with ABC News that aired on Wednesday. "There isn't anything wrong with listening."

It was a stark -- if not entirely surprising -- expression of nonchalance from the President over foreign efforts to influence US politics. Trump has consistently downplayed Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 contest, and cast doubts on US intelligence agencies' assessments of the meddling.

It's a crime for a campaign to knowingly solicit or accept items of value from foreign nationals."

It's not nonchalance. He's gotten away with it once and his alternatives now are reelection or jail. It's a request for assistance.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #16225 on: June 13, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »

Having heard the whole exchange with Stephanopoulos,  Trump was a good deal more reasonable than the headlines and sound bites suggest

--He didn't say his campaign would go asking foreigners for information (although of course one could say he was signalling to them that he would accept it, in an open ended, global invitation)
--He actually said that he would accept the information and then notify the FBI. 

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #16226 on: June 13, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
Having heard the whole exchange with Stephanopoulos,  Trump was a good deal more reasonable than the headlines and sound bites suggest

--He didn't say his campaign would go asking foreigners for information (although of course one could say he was signalling to them that he would accept it, in an open ended, global invitation)
--He actually said that he would accept the information and then notify the FBI.

He has already asked for it. Everyone knows how to read Trump's public double speak. White supremacists know that when Trump woodenly reads a script with eyes down, that can be ignored as a sop to the liberal press and general public, and that when he shouts racist, xenophobic venom, that is the real Trump. Likewise, anyone who is not a fool knows Trump would not really notify the FBI. How do they know? Because he didn't. Trump is signalling his openness to illegal foreign assistance. Meanwhile, Mitch McConnel is suppressing all attempts to reduce the vulnerability of the U.S. election system:

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/mitch-mcconnell-is-making-the-2020-election-open-season-for-hackers

The republicans top to bottom are willing to sell out the country and free and fair elections to maintain power. Wake up.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #16227 on: June 13, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »

The republicans top to bottom are willing to sell out the country and free and fair elections to maintain power.

I know that. I live in a state (FL) where the GOP has done everything it can to keep itself in total control for about 20 years or so.

But you do no good, and some harm, in overstating the case, as you do here.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16228 on: June 13, 2019, 03:52:51 PM »

"It's not an interference, they have information -- I think I'd take it," Trump said. "If I thought there was something wrong, I'd go maybe to the FBI -- if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, 'oh let's call the FBI.' The FBI doesn't have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that's the way it is. It's called oppo research."

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #16229 on: June 13, 2019, 04:02:22 PM »
"It's not an interference, they have information -- I think I'd take it," Trump said. "If I thought there was something wrong, I'd go maybe to the FBI -- if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, 'oh let's call the FBI.' The FBI doesn't have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that's the way it is. It's called oppo research."

That quote doesn't cover everything he said on the matter.
He went on to say he would take the info and tell the FBI.  Perhaps a light went on as he was talking and he realized he had gone too far.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16230 on: June 13, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
Federal watchdog agency recommends removal of Kellyanne Conway from federal office for violating the Hatch Act

"The Office of Special Counsel on Thursday recommended the removal of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway from federal office for violating the Hatch Act, which bars federal employees from engaging in political activity in the course of their work.

The report submitted to President Trump found that Conway violated the Hatch Act on numerous occasions by “disparaging Democratic presidential candidates while speaking in her official capacity during television interviews and on social media.” The agency described her as a “repeat offender.”

The decision about whether to remove Conway is up to Trump. A senior White House official said Thursday the president is unlikely to punish Conway and instead will defend her. The White House counsel immediately issued a letter calling for the agency to withdraw its recommendation that Conway be removed — a request the Office of Special Counsel declined.

In an interview, Special Counsel Henry Kerner called his recommendation that a political appointee of Conway’s stature be fired “unprecedented.”

“You know what else is unprecedented?” said Kerner, a Trump appointee who has run the agency since December 2017. “Kellyanne Conway’s behavior.”

“In interview after interview, she uses her official capacity to disparage announced candidates, which is not allowed,” he said, adding: “What kind of example does that send to the federal workforce? If you’re high enough up in the White House, you can break the law, but if you’re a postal carrier or a regular federal worker, you lose your job?”

Conway did not reply to a request for comment.

In the past, Trump has privately dismissed concerns about the Hatch Act, sympathizing with aides found to have violated it, according to current and former White House officials."

The Nepotism Might Finally Be Too Much to Ignore
From Jared Kushner to Elaine Chao and Amy Chua, the elites have made their game a bit too obvious.

"It’s worth recognizing that currently, the United States of America is not just in thrall to the billionaires. It’s in thrall to the children, and the wives, and also the pool boys of the billionaires. And while many voters may not have minded electing a tax evader who treated the bankruptcy courts like a Slip ’N Slide, they may at some point balk at the idea that his grown children were also born to rule (and be enriched while so doing). Americans are—without a doubt—in love with their own children, in love with the idea of their offspring’s staggering perfection, and seemingly willing to do just about anything to vault their children into the elite stratosphere. Part of the original promise of America was supposed to be that any child could reach the upper echelons of our meritocratic society, provided they were smart enough and worked hard enough. That’s the plot of Hamilton, and also the CliffsNotes for the American Revolution. And yet, the brazenness with which current elites are rigging the system to protect their own may be enough to shatter this delicate lie for good.

Perhaps voters who were willing to look past Donald Trump’s moral and personal and financial failings because he was a “good businessman” in 2016 might also accept that taxpayers should, in fact, have paid the $1,223,230 for VIP accommodations for his adult children in London last week, despite the fact that two of them play no role whatsoever in the administration (though they do represent Trump’s businesses). Maybe they will conclude that it’s simply a problem for ethicists to mull, and resolve. Or maybe they will realize that they could be thinking about it, and pushing back against it, as well. Unlike the 448-page Mueller report, it takes all of 20 seconds to question why taxpayers keep putting money into Eric Trump’s pocket."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:19:15 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16231 on: June 13, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
That quote doesn't cover everything he said on the matter.
He went on to say he would take the info and tell the FBI.  Perhaps a light went on as he was talking and he realized he had gone too far.

That's not persuading me that "Trump was a good deal more reasonable than the headlines and sound bites suggest" (also: I watched most of the interview)

What do you believe he would actually do? I believe him when he suggests he'll judge the situation not by the law but by his own interpretation of right and wrong.

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #16232 on: June 13, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
That's not persuading me that "Trump was a good deal more reasonable than the headlines and sound bites suggest" (also: I watched most of the interview)

What do you believe he would actually do? I believe him when he suggests he'll judge the situation not by the law but by his own interpretation of right and wrong.

IOW he will do what every President since Washington has done.  Problem is his sense of right and wrong doesn't line up with the usual ideas.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16233 on: June 13, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
Every president since Washington has solicited information obtained through espionage so that they can become that foreign power's preferred candidate and in their debt?

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #16234 on: June 13, 2019, 04:49:09 PM »
Every president since Washington has solicited information obtained through espionage so that they can become that foreign power's preferred candidate and in their debt?

No.
What they have all done is

Almost all of Trump's abuses of power have precedents in the Obama years. But Obama understood when to look like he was not abusing power, and not tell the world he was abusing his powers.

For instance, Obama was just as non-cooperative with Congressional investigations. But his administration never announced a blanket policy of ignoring subpoenas. It would simply slow walk them, contest them in court, and  not hint to the media what it was doing. Contrast Trump.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16235 on: June 13, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »
Which subpoenas and investigations are you referring to?

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #16236 on: June 13, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »

Which subpoenas and investigations are you referring to?

Most notorious is the Fast and Furious investigation, which led to Atty Gen Holder being targeted by a contempt of Congress charge. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder#Contempt_of_Congress

You will notice that all the same lines of attack used by the Democrats and Republicans then are being used now, only this time  they are being used by the Republicans and Democrats.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16237 on: June 13, 2019, 05:20:13 PM »
I guess I should really be angry at Stephanopoulos for letting Trump spin "information from foreign powers" as "oppo research" and just two guys talking, without making explicit how the foreign powers come to have this information, or what they'd expect in return.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #16238 on: June 13, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »

Most notorious is the Fast and Furious investigation, which led to Atty Gen Holder being targeted by a contempt of Congress charge. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder#Contempt_of_Congress

You will notice that all the same lines of attack used by the Democrats and Republicans then are being used now, only this time  they are being used by the Republicans and Democrats.

From the article:

On June 19, 2012, Issa met with Holder in person to discuss the requested documents. Holder said he offered to provide the documents to Issa on the condition that Issa provided his assurance that doing so would satisfy the committee subpoenas and resolve the dispute. Issa rejected the offer.

Issa rejected the the offer to provide the requested documents in order to hold Holder in contempt. He had no other reason to reject the document offer.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:00:52 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.10

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Online JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #16239 on: June 13, 2019, 06:11:12 PM »
     From the article:

On June 19, 2012, Issa met with Holder in person to discuss the requested documents. Holder said he offered to provide the documents to Issa on the condition that Issa provided his assurance that doing so would satisfy the committee subpoenas and resolve the dispute. Issa rejected the offer.

Issa rejected the the offer to provide the requested documents in order to hold Holder in contempt. He had no other reason to reject the document offer.

That's not what the quote says. What it says is, to paraphrase, Holder offered to provide the documents if Issa agreed to subpoena nothing more. A condition no responsible investigator could agree to. (That does not mean Issa was a responsible investigator. It only means Holder offered the documents in a way that Holder knew Issa would have to reject.)