Author Topic: Top ten Stravinsky works?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
Re: Top ten Stravinsky works?
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »
The late works have become an obsession lately, Requiem Canticles was already my favorite Stravinsky work (and one of my all time too) but The Flood, Threni, Movements for Piano & Orchestra, Canticum Sacrum have really been thrilling the heck out of me. I love the dense, yet disparate, yet rhythmic and contrapuntally perfectness of his "serial" pieces.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 02:23:49 AM »
Just as Peter Sellars once said paraphrasing: "The extraordinary thing about Stravinsky is that every piece is his best work. You get so deep inside each piece and it's the best....then you listen to another piece and then that is the greatest piece"   :laugh:

It's true, I was just having a Petrushka moment, after having a huge (the) Flood moment last night.  :laugh:

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 02:57:56 AM »
Aye  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2017, 06:50:51 AM »
Just as Peter Sellars once said paraphrasing: "The extraordinary thing about Stravinsky is that every piece is his best work. You get so deep inside each piece and it's the best....then you listen to another piece and then that is the greatest piece"   :laugh:

It's true, I was just having a Petrushka moment, after having a huge (the) Flood moment last night.  :laugh:

Really? 'The Flood'?

'The Flood', 'A Sermon, A Narrative, and A Prayer', and 'Abraham and Isaac' all reside outside of my "safe space"... ohhhh, just thinking about them gives me shivers! ???

I can rank LEAST fav much easier. Narration always gets my goat. And 'Pribaoutki' and some of the other Songs are not my cup of tea. The '2 Sketches for A Sonata' and a lot of the other 30sec. pieces...

BUT I DO THINK EVERY COMPOSER SHOULD HAVE STUFF THAT YOU JUST CANT STAND, TO BALANCE THINGS OUT.

(btw- no real fav Stravinsky... riiight????)
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline kyjo

• Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006)
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
The Firebird
The Rite of Spring
Petroushka
Symphony in E flat
Symphony in C
Symphony of Psalms
Apollon musagete
Violin Concerto
Scherzo fantastique
Concerto in D for strings

...which reminds me, I've yet to listen to his newly discovered "Funeral Song" from 1908...

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK