Author Topic: Top Five Purchases Of 2016  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Klaze

Re: Top Five Purchases Of 2016
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 04:03:29 AM »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Re: Favourite Purchases of 2016
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 03:57:05 AM »
Here are my highlights of the year:  :)

Somehow I don't think in terms of new musical discoveries this year quite matches 2015.
I guess year was a year in which I explored the new territories some more.
And it was a busy year both professionally and in my personal life, so less time to devote to music.

Early Music was still a dominant factor this year:

Naturally Monteverdi is in a league of his own:  :)

The highlights from the Baroque, which include quite some operas this year:

I'm still digesting Rousset's WTC, but it is very good indeed:

Though I knew it was there, this year I discovered the amazing series of Handel cantatas on Glossa:

Music from the Transitional and Classical Eras:

The best of the rest:

All in all still a fruitful year, though many purchases didn't elevate from the "nice" level.A few clunkers too... ::)

Pressed for ultimate favorites, it must be the sets from the Leiden Choirbooks and of the Monteverdi Madrigals, Ockeghem's Missa Prolationum, Christlieb Siegmund Binder's harpsichord sonatas, Andreas Staier's Schubert en Piet Kuijken's Brahms.

Q
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:00:01 AM by Que »
chacun son got.

Offline Judge Fish

• He's the boss!
    either late-Romantic French music or something else.
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »
My iTunes tells me I bought 248 hours of music this year, of which I've listened to all but 15 hours.

I can't yet narrow my favorites down to 5 albums. However – based upon first impressions – the following 20 purchases stand out.

In no particular order:

1. Coincy: Miracles of Notre-Dame / Andrew Lawrence-King and The Harp Consort / Harmonia Mundi / 2003
2. Anne Sofie von Otter - Douce France / Naive /2013
3. Sallinen: Piano Trio, Cello Sonata, From a Swan Song / Ralf Gothni, Arto Noras, Elina Vhl / CPO / 2015
4. Musgrave: Turbulent Landscapes, etc / BBC Symphony Orchestra / NMC / 2009
5. Kapustin: Works for Cello / Christine Rauh / SWR / 2016

6. Rubbra: Music & Songs with Harp / Tracey Chadwell and Danielle Perrett / Lyrita / 2016
7. Belle Epoque - Harp Concertos / Emmanuel Ceysson, Orchestre Rgional Avignon Provence / Naive / 2015
8. Nuits Occitanes / Ensemble Cladon / Ricercar / 2014
9. Clarke: Music for Cello and Piano / Raphael Wallfisch, John York / Lyrita / 2016
10. Sulla Lira - The Voice of Orpheus / Le Miroir de Musique / Ricercar / 2015

11. Honegger: Symphony No. 4, etc / London Philharmonic Orchestra, Jurowski / LPO / 2011
12. L'arpa Barberini - Music in Early Baroque Rome / Roberta Invernizzi, Margret Kll / Accent / 2016
13. Cavalli: Heroines of the Venetian Baroque / Mariana Flores, Cappella Mediterranea / Ricercar / 2015
14. Van Gilse: Piano Concerto "3 Tanzskizzen", etc / Oliver Triendl, Netherlands Symphony Orchestra, David Porcelijn / CPO / 2016
15. Della Ciaia: Lamentationi / Roberta Invernizzi, Laboratorio '600 / Glossa / 2016

16. Martucci: Piano Concerto #1, etc / Rome Symphony Orchestra, Francesco La Vecchia / Naxos / 2009
17. Czerny: Grand Concerto, etc / Rosemary Tuck, English Chamber Orchestra, Richard Bonynge / Naxos / 2016
18. Nocturnal Variations / Ruby Hughes and Joseph Middleton / Champs Hill / 2016
19. Piau - Evocation / Sandrine Piau, Susan Manoff / Naive / 2007
20. Violina Petrychenko - Ukranian Moods / Ars Production / 2015

I would need quite a few more listens to narrow this selection down to 5. They're all really good.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:26:59 PM by Judge Fish »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 11:22:28 PM »
Interesting that you mention van Gilse. The one disc I have of his music was so thorughly uninteresting and mediocre that I have stayed away since. Perhaps time for a new beginning.....

Offline Judge Fish

• He's the boss!
    either late-Romantic French music or something else.
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
Jan Van Gilse seems to be hit-or-miss for a lot of people. I found the Piano Concerto to be very refreshing. I really ought to listen to it again before saying more though.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Will include only 4 records released this year, and another 5 that were released in previous years but I just got my hands on this year will follow.

My 2016 Record of the Year

My top choice for album of the year, primarily for the 5th.  Harnoncourt and the Concentus Musicus Wien give an idiosyncratic and highly spirited performance, and to my ears was the right kind of freshness and individualism that I needed from a piece of music Ive spent decades with. Not that there is a correct or incorrect way to play LvBs 5th, but lately I would much rather hear conductors and musicians, as true artists, produce a unique performance that is unlike any before. I know this disc is highly subject to criticism, and I would also say rightfully so, as is the case with any artist that is willing to break and bend a few rules when it comes to interpreting someone elses work. But it has been many years since Ive sat through a recording of the 5th and truly felt as if it was the first time hearing it. The playing of the 5th from the CMW is crisp, lovely, fervent, and triumphant, overall it's miraculous sounding. Highlighted by the horns of the Scherzo, and the highly (thankfully) audible piccolo and contrabassoons of the finale. Oh, and the 4th is just as good, in case you thought I was ignoring that beauty. Its no secret Im a big admirer of Harnoncourt, and recently revisited his Mozart 39-41 disc with CMW from 2 years ago, and have newfound respect for it now. This Beethoven disc, one of Harnoncourt's final recordings, is one I will be repeating on my player for a long time.

Others released this year that get my vote as the best of...

The best "Glass transcribed for piano" disc in either a long time, or ever.

Anytime there's a new release of Ives' 4th I get excited, and Seattle/Morlot didn't disappoint.

There were many great new recordings of Reich's music, this one was the best.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:00:43 AM by TheGSMoeller »

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2016, 04:46:11 AM »
My favorite acquisitions of the year:

The Young Bruckner and the Herreweghe Stravinsky are both new releases.  The others are simply albums that I acquired this year.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2016, 05:47:37 AM »
Yesterday I did my Top of 2016 released this year, so now for my top purchases of 2016 of records that were released in previous years...

The most exciting composer discovery of the year for me was American born, Ingram Marshall. I've read his style described as ambient, post-minimalism, and Wikipedia states the composer uses the term "expressivist" to describe his music. Marshall beautifully blends acoustic instruments with electronic sounds, even incorporating tape and mixed media into his works. Whatever the instrumentation, Marshal's music is always completely free of being tied down to a particular form or genre, and handles this freedom in a dreamlike soundscape. This year I purchased four albums containing Marshall's music, but chose to focus on the two posted here. The works I've returned to the most are September Canons for a solo violin, Peaceable Kingdom for a small ensemble, and Gradual Requiem for voices, mandolin, flute and synthesizer. These three pieces can be found on these two album, but many other albums of Marshall's music is available, and worth listening to.

My favorite discovery this year was purchasing this 2-disc set of Bernstein and the NYP performing Sibelius symphonies. I own Bernstein's later recordings of Sibelius with the VPO, and have heard the earlier 2nd with NYP, but never any of the other earlier recordings. My passion for this purchase really comes with the performance of Sibelius' 4th symphony. It's the Sibelius symphony that took me the longest to grasp, and appreciate, and I finally figured out why. Because everyone else was playing it wrong!  Alright, that's entirely subjective, I know, but it's true for me. Let's take the finale's closing minutes for example, for years I've always loved the dark turn the piece takes before bowing out, but the recordings I've heard seem to always rush through this. The movement is scored Allegro and Sibelius doesn't notate a tempo change near the end, so technically most are performing under the composer's wishes. However, Bernstein and NYP take their sweet time and allow the listener to slowly drown into the darkness, almost like a Bruckner Adagio. I really enjoyed the entire performance, and it's the first time I ever got chills while listening to this symphony. Similar to Harnoncourt's Beethoven disc I mentioned yesterday, I know Bernstein's Sibelius is not universally appreciated, but it was his take on the 4th, and the jarringly beautiful rendition that grabbed my attention.

Here are my other top purchases of 2016, featuring Wagner, Strauss, Schnittke and Haydn performed by Klemperer, Jurowski, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra, Henschel Quartet and Susanne Kelling. And I know this will amount to 6 discs, but who cares, right?  ;)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:26:23 AM by TheGSMoeller »

Offline bergonzi

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »
My personal advices for 2016 best realeses are:
- Isabelle Faust Mozart violin concertos
- Emil Gilels Seattle recital 1964

Offline GioCar

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 01:41:27 AM »
In order of acquisition

Dutilleux: The Centenary Edition

Schubert: Complete Lieder (the Hyperion box set)

Billone: 1+1=1

Takemitsu: Complete Edition (Vol.1 Orchestral Works, Vol.2 Instrumental & Chorale)

Donaueschinger Musiktage 2010

Offline Andr

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Carl Nielsen (1865 - 1931)
    Lyden af ​​torden kyster Fyn
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »
Takemitsu: Complete Edition (Vol.1 Orchestral Works, Vol.2 Instrumental & Chorale)

Did you buy these whenever you were in Japan? I'm sure they were pretty expensive.
I love the vast surface of silence and it is my chief delight to break it. - Carl Nielsen

Offline GioCar

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »
^^^
Yes, bought in June 2016 at the Tower Records Shibuya (possibly the last of their species - 8 floors of music, one for classical music only!)
And yes, they weren't cheap at all (54,000) but I couldn't resist.... ;D

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
^^^
Yes, bought in June 2016 at the Tower Records Shibuya (possibly the last of their species - 8 floors of music, one for classical music only!)

Was there in May!  :)

It was good to have that physical "feel" to wonder around in a Classical Music candy store ...for the last time....  :-\

Q
chacun son got.

Offline GioCar

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
^^^
So true... :)

I wonder how they still can keep alive such a place. After all, they have Amazon and all the rest as well...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Carl Nielsen (1865 - 1931)
    Lyden af ​​torden kyster Fyn
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:35 AM »
^^^

Very nice indeed. Wow, one floor dedicated to nothing but classical? I'd go hog wild in that place!
I love the vast surface of silence and it is my chief delight to break it. - Carl Nielsen

Offline Dee Sharp

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK