Author Topic: Best Recordings of 2016 - A Compilation of all such lists  (Read 1124 times)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Best Recordings of 2016 - A Compilation of all such lists
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
Haven't found such a thread, to my surprise. Here's to collect all those "Best of 2016" articles.

Updated Jan 05 16

New York Times
The Best Classical Music Recordings of 2016
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/arts/music/best-classical-music-recordings-2016.html

WBUR
13 Best Classical Music Recordings Of The Year
http://www.wbur.org/artery/2016/12/27/best-classical

The Guardian
Andrew Clements' top 10 classical CDs of 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/20/andrew-clements-top-10-classical-cds-2016

Classic fm
Classic FM’s 20 best classical albums of the year
http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/best-albums-2016/#pxD1UKddl171pHGU.97

NPR / Deceptive Cadence
A Year Of Listening Desperately: 10 Classical Albums That Saved 2016
http://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2016/12/22/504694907/a-year-of-listening-desperately-10-classical-albums-that-saved-2016

98.7 WMfT
The 10 Best Classical Recordings of 2016
http://www.wfmt.com/2016/12/19/10-best-classical-recordings-2016/

Forbes.com
The 10 Best Classical Recordings Of 2016 (Re-Releases)
http://bit.ly/Best-Classical-Recordings-of-2016

The 10 Best Classical Recordings Of 2016 (New Releases)
http://bit.ly/Forbes_Best_Classical_Recordings_2016_New

Musical Toronto
RECORD KEEPING | The Best Classical Recordings Of 2016
http://www.musicaltoronto.org/2016/12/19/record-keeping-the-best-classical-recordings-of-2016/

Boston Globe
Top 10 classical albums
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2016/12/22/top-classical-albums/Rez6Oe3mNajrKx1ycHKaQM/story.html

The Arts Fuse
Commentary: Top Classical Recordings of 2016
http://artsfuse.org/153277/commentary-top-classical-recordings-of-2016/

Classical Found and Lost
CLOFO Best Finds of the Year

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Re: Best Recordings of 2016 - A Compilation of all such lists
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »
Thanks!

Though the Classic FM selection is just as "strange" (to be kind) as I feared.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:01:11 PM by The new erato »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
Thanks for taking the trouble to do this Jens. I'd be lying if I said I'd read them all carefully, but I liked the look and  feel of the one from The Arts Fuse, and it reminded me about Chiara Quartet's Bartok and indeed Harnoncourt's final Missa Solemnis. I'll get round to the latter soon, but I listened to Chiara's 6 and first impressions are very positive indeed, a good sound and a nice balance between spikiness and bringing out the memorable tunes. Are they more spontaneous through playing  without a score? I think they probably are.

I must say, without mentioning names, some of the rest looked as though they were more the product of press releases, PR lunches and advertising department influences rather than real informed and critical listening. As if all the best records are on the biggest labels!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:09:51 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »

I must say, without mentioning names, some of the rest looked as though they were more the product of press releases, PR lunches and advertising department influences rather than real informed and critical listening. As if all the best records are on the biggest labels!

;) Hey now. Surely you're not talking about that wonderful list on Forbes? :-) FYI: Separate list of Top 10 New Releases will be up in a few hours.

I've listened to the Chiara Quartet's Bartok -- and I like the string quartet a lot from having gotten to know them as youngsters in concert series in Washington, but I wasn't THAT blown away. I didn't, admittedly, do any comparative and probably not even any in-depth listening.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
;) Hey now. Surely you're not talking about that wonderful list on Forbes? :-) FYI: Separate list of Top 10 New Releases will be up in a few hours.

I've listened to the Chiara Quartet's Bartok -- and I like the string quartet a lot from having gotten to know them as youngsters in concert series in Washington, but I wasn't THAT blown away. I didn't, admittedly, do any comparative and probably not even any in-depth listening.

Yes, well I've listened to 4 now and I like it as much as 6, and for similar reasons - spiky but still with a "romantic" narrative. I like their tone too, don't know why.  I haven't compared with anyone else, I don't want anything to seed any doubts, spoil the fun.

One of the reviews above talks up Gabriela Lena Frank's booklet essay, is it really special?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:08:02 AM by Mandryka »

Offline NJ Joe

Bartok, Beethoven, Russians, and Dufay
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:42:54 AM »
Thank you for posting!
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:58:48 AM »
It's quite alarming to see how useless are the most of these lists for anyone interested in Early music and historically informed performances.  :(
Llegaron los sarracenos
y nos molieron a palos,
que Dios ayuda a los malos
cuando son más que los buenos.
-- Spanish quatrain (anonym)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 04:57:24 PM »
It's quite alarming to see how useless are the most of these lists for anyone interested in Early music and historically informed performances.  :(

Yes. I thought in a similar way but didn't dare to post it.  :)
res severa verum gaudium

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 03:27:22 AM »

Well, I don't know about usefullness of description, but on my Forbes list are includes a fair amount of HIP/OI Performances/Early Music:

Bach (x2), Bux, Berwald, Brahms, Debussy, Schubert, and one compliation disc. Not counting Scarlatti & Bach on the modern piano or organ, that's 8 out of 20 or 40%.

Also: Updated above for the CLOFO list.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    Probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

Well, I don't know about usefullness of description, but on my Forbes list are includes a fair amount of HIP/OI Performances/Early Music:

Bach (x2), Bux, Berwald, Brahms, Debussy, Schubert, and one compliation disc. Not counting Scarlatti & Bach on the modern piano or organ, that's 8 out of 20 or 40%.

Yes, the Forbes list has a nice selection of HIP. In fact, I looked back at the Forbes lists from 2014 and 2015 and they, too, are nicely HIP filled!

So plenty of HIP to choose from so far as I can see. Thanks again for compiling these lists, Jet L. :)
"I've grown used to this country and I love it. But there's one thing it doesn't have - quiet". Rachmaninoff musing on his hectic schedule in the USA.

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 08:16:18 AM »

Of course.... as a matter of fact, I wrote “the most of lists” precisely thinking of your list because your choices are notoriously more varied and interesting (to me) than the average. Even if I frequently don’t share your remarks about what you call “HIP ideology”.  8)
Llegaron los sarracenos
y nos molieron a palos,
que Dios ayuda a los malos
cuando son más que los buenos.
-- Spanish quatrain (anonym)

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 12:37:46 AM »
Of course.... as a matter of fact, I wrote “the most of lists” precisely thinking of your list because your choices are notoriously more varied and interesting (to me) than the average. Even if I frequently don’t share your remarks about what you call “HIP ideology”.  8)

My remarks about "HIP ideology"? You mean that, on occasion I suggest that HIP isn't really primarily a matter of baroque tastes but of 21st century tastes... and OVPP claims stand on shaky feet* (even when the musical results are awesome) and that the willy-nilly throwing of theorbos at continuo sections, without regard to what music it is and where it was composed, is a bit of cute absurdity?
None of that is all that offensive or radical, though, is it? Or are you thinking of something else? Because even with the above comments, I'd like to think myself a pro-HIPster.

(* In fact, I think that OVPP is more far fetched than Norrington's No-Vibrato-until-20th-Ct. hypotheses.)

HIP, yes; early music, no.

;)

Really?  :( Early music = pre-Bach? I do suppose that, given that definition, you're right. Despite my inclusion of the Bux-Box. (Although, if I counted like the PR people at Universal with their Mozart Box ("1.5 Million CDs sold"), I could claim that 29 of ~40 CDs were pre-Bach in my list; ergo nearly 2/3.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    Probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
My remarks about "HIP ideology"? You mean that, on occasion I suggest that HIP isn't really primarily a matter of baroque tastes but of 21st century tastes... and OVPP claims stand on shaky feet* (even when the musical results are awesome) and that the willy-nilly throwing of theorbos at continuo sections, without regard to what music it is and where it was composed, is a bit of cute absurdity?
None of that is all that offensive or radical, though, is it? Or are you thinking of something else? Because even with the above comments, I'd like to think myself a pro-HIPster.

*Raises hand as a pro-HIPster myself*. Yet I agree that HIP's existence is purely a modern-day construct. As such, it doesn't have precedent over anything. Here's what I wrote a few years back:

How much 14th c. music was played by Haydn and his contemporaries? And even if they played it what would it sound like? Would they even try to establish something akin to "authentic performances"? Not likely. This whole concept of PI and "authenticity" is decidedly a product of OUR generation. Good thing, but that doesn't invalidate anything that came before it (or after).
"I've grown used to this country and I love it. But there's one thing it doesn't have - quiet". Rachmaninoff musing on his hectic schedule in the USA.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK