Author Topic: Religion, Philosophy, The divine and The Self Thread  (Read 1535 times)

milk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
Re: Religion, Philosophy, The divine and The Self Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 04:50:16 AM »
This not Christian teaching. There are christian mystics as well (and in my impression all mystic teachings seem to converge to something rather similar, besides the Abrahamitic religions, Vedanta and Buddhism (at least some schools of the last two) this also includes pagan Neoplatonism and probably more) and even non-mystic christians hold of course that nothing is independent of God as He keeps everything in existence.
Although admittedly the material universe and humans are probably conceived as more independent in traditional Christianity than in some other traditions. Roughly speaking, God delegates some of his power of creation to the creatures so they can partake actively, e.g. in making more creatures.
(This relative independence could be one reason why only the Christian tradition developed modern natural science: Nature can be studied independently but it is understandable because it was created by a rational God.)

I do agree with you. On the more advanced levels of Christianity, it is admitted the convergence of religious experience. That is why intolerance is so stupid. Religion is primarily about subjective experience although there are generally agreed upon universal moral laws. 

Now I am reading in English, the "Lotus Sutra" which is important in Chinese and Japanese Buddhism. Once one gets past the cultural differences in symbolism, speaking in hundreds of millions of worlds and enlightened beings, there are similarities in the Western scientific assessment of vast swaiths of the universe, in outer space and on the micro level. Moral parables are also similar, some having to do with a prodigal son who doesn't know his worth and who is led to it gently by care and compassion.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
My beliefs can be summed up this way: I believe there’s a divine entity that created everything. I have absolutely zero use for religion, but I loathe religious zealots who try to tell me otherwise. The end.
I'm pretty close to this position. Taoism makes a lot of sense to me. Writers I admire are Rollo May 'Man's Search for Himself', Erich Fromm 'Man for Himself' and Sheldon Kopp 'If you Meet the Buddha on the Road Kill Him'. All these books have influenced me, I like to think, in a positive way. All are American authors.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »
My beliefs can be summed up this way: I believe there’s a divine entity that created everything.

Who do you believe greated the divine entity that created everything? If you say divine entities don't need greators then how come everything needs a creator? If you say everything needs a creator then the creator need too, because such a creator must be more complex than the creation. If there is a supercreator that created the creator, that supercreator must have a hypercreator because it is even more complex. The line of creators must be infinite. Doesn't sound like a rational assumption. However, if you believe that everything does not need a creator, you have much simpler and logically sound construction. Everything just is and there are no divine creators outside our vivid imagination. That's what I believe. Why everything just is? I believe it's because "nothingness" is impossible. "Nothing" is a human concept that doesn't exist in real world. Even empty space contains bubbling quantum energy. Something must exist and it doesn't need divine creators.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
It's turtles all the way down!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
    • this just as this
  • Currently Listening to:
    Scriabin, often
« Reply #44 on: Today at 02:15:23 AM »
...Sheldon Kopp 'If you Meet the Buddha on the Road Kill Him'. All these books have influenced me, I like to think, in a positive way.

...from Kopp's "laundrey list"...

We are already dying, and we will be dead for a long time.

Nothing lasts.

It is a random universe to which we bring meaning.

Evil can be displaced, but never eradicated, as all solutions breed new problems.

The only victory lies in surrender to oneself.

Learn to forgive yourself, again and again and again and again.
this just as this

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #45 on: Today at 02:28:41 AM »
...from Kopp's "laundrey list"...

We are already dying, and we will be dead for a long time.

Nothing lasts.

It is a random universe to which we bring meaning.

Evil can be displaced, but never eradicated, as all solutions breed new problems.

Do they apply to politics as well?  ;D
Regele şi Patria!

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
    • this just as this
    Scriabin, often
« Reply #46 on: Today at 03:35:46 AM »
Do they apply to politics as well?  ;D

I'm hoping especially the second one 😏
this just as this

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mihai, King of Romania (1921 - 2017)
« Reply #47 on: Today at 03:42:56 AM »
I'm hoping especially the second one 😏

The second one applies auotmatically to anything human. I'm thinking rather about these two:

Looks like Trump or the Brexiters are Stoics without ever knowing it..  ;D
Regele şi Patria!

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
    • this just as this
    Scriabin, often
« Reply #48 on: Today at 03:54:23 AM »
The second one applies auotmatically to anything human. I'm thinking rather about these two:

Looks like Trump or the Brexiters are Stoics without ever knowing it..  ;D

Yes, ignorance really can be bliss 😁

(I saw what you did there 😉 )
« Last Edit: Today at 04:11:50 AM by nodogen »
this just as this

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK