Author Topic: New Zealand Composers.  (Read 925 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
New Zealand Composers.
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:26:16 AM »
I can't find a NZ composers thread having checked Lethe's helpful index of threads and the search facility. So apologies if one already exists. If so I'll delete this one.
I already like the music of Douglas Lilburn (1915-2001) very much - or more specifically his earlier orchestral music and there is already a Lilburn thread. If you don't know him and like Sibelius and VW I'd strongly recommend symphonies 1-3, The Song of the Islands and the marvellous Aotearoa Overture. However, on a NZ composers compilation album I came across what I thought was a very fine work 'The Hanging Bulb' by a modern composer called Anthony Ritchie (born 1960). On the strength of this I looked him up and found that there are several symphonies by him plus other works on CD. 'The Hanging Bulb' is tonal but contemporary, reminding me in places of Copland's more modernist works. The symphonies have been very well reviewed on Musicweb and I've ordered symphonies 3 and 4. I just wonder if anyone out there knows his music. Also welcome any views on NZ composers - a country I'd love to visit one day:
Here (should the images appear) are some of the Ritchie CDs plus some of my favourite Lilburn releases:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline relm1

Re: New Zealand Composers.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »
I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/Landscapes-New-Zealand-Orchestral-Music/dp/B004S45284

and am quite fond of it.  Very good music and well performed.  I like Ritchie's Symphony No. 3 too.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »
I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/Landscapes-New-Zealand-Orchestral-Music/dp/B004S45284

and am quite fond of it.  Very good music and well performed.  I like Ritchie's Symphony No. 3 too.
Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to hearing Ritchie's Third Symphony.

Here's an enthusiastic review of Symphony 4 with links to reviews of the earlier symphonies:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Feb/Ritchie_sy4_ACD314.htm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:09:31 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:09:28 AM »
Yes, I remember the Lilburn symphonies on Naxos as being quite good.

I also have an old Oryx LP with Lilburn works and a symphony (No.1) by David Farquhar (1928-2007), who wrote 2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Farquhar

I didnt know Ritchie.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:12:44 AM by Turner »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:12:13 AM »
Yes, I remember the Lilburn symphonies on Naxos as being quite good.

I also have an old Oryx LP with Lilburn works and a symphony (No.1) by David Farquhar (1928-2007), who wrote 2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Farquhar

That's a fine LP with the best performance of Aotearoa Overture (featured I think on the first CD cover I posted above) I also had the LP.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Galas, Xenakis, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Lilburn is NZs classical icon.

I love his 3rd Symphony, many of late piano pieces are very interesting. He was a composer trying to find a place between the major innovations going on with the European composers and tradition.
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:49:07 AM »
Lilburn is NZs classical icon.

I love his 3rd Symphony, many of late piano pieces are very interesting. He was a composer trying to find a place between the major innovations going on with the European composers and tradition.
I don't know the piano music. I think that my favourite of his symphonies is No.1.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
I've got two discs of New Zealand composers' music. The three symphonies of Douglas Lilburn, and one of music by Lyell Cresswell, including his Piano Concerto.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mike Oldfield (1953 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Bjrk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Phil Manzanera, Camel
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »
New Zealand has never really factored into any of my listening, but I think this is partly because there really arent too many composers that interest me from this country.
Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music. - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline α |

• Veteran member
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Galas, Xenakis, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:34:51 PM »
If you like Ligeti, Boulez and more texturally based stuff you'll LOVE this:

https://vimeo.com/154125362

8)
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
If you like Ligeti, Boulez and more texturally based stuff you'll LOVE this:

https://vimeo.com/154125362

8)

Great Post  :)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:06:43 PM »
Great Post  :)

You're welcome Arpeggio man!  :D

There's more where that came from  ;)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:28 PM »
Not even one mention of Jenny Mcleod???   ???

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
Also Jack Body

NZ actually has quite a "secret history" in classical music, but it tends to go quite unrecognised compared to other countries like France, America and Europe in the 20th, which of course are highly recorded, etc

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 12:10:13 AM »
John Psathas:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KkvjT6fuIgs&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLoqtRwP847NJRzFFvJr3HOFPZ5yszKfoJ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KkvjT6fuIgs&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLoqtRwP847NJRzFFvJr3HOFPZ5yszKfoJ</a>

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 12:15:44 AM »
John Psathas:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KkvjT6fuIgs&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLoqtRwP847NJRzFFvJr3HOFPZ5yszKfoJ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KkvjT6fuIgs&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLoqtRwP847NJRzFFvJr3HOFPZ5yszKfoJ</a>

I've met him

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:40 AM »
Cool! What was he like?

I wat to add Gareth Farr's name to the list but can't find links to my favorite pieces.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »
Cool! What was he like?

I wat to add Gareth Farr's name to the list but can't find links to my favorite pieces.

A friendly and passionate personality, he's a lecturer here; but on film music

Which I admit I find odd consider what his concert music is like.

I'll have to go through all the records but there are plenty of awesome NZ composers.

Michael Norris (the head of classical composition here) is also very awesome, I've met him too and he shares passion of the Darmstadt school. You can hear echoes of Ligeti and Boulez in his work  :D

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
Also Jack Body

NZ actually has quite a "secret history" in classical music, but it tends to go quite unrecognised compared to other countries like France, America and Europe in the 20th, which of course are highly recorded, etc

Following this up, Jack Body had quite a unique career.  :o

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »
Michael Norris (the head of classical composition here) is also very awesome, I've met him too and he shares passion of the Darmstadt school. You can hear echoes of Ligeti and Boulez in his work  :D
I do really like him both as a person and as a composer. Am very rarely down there these days though, which means I also tend to miss the Stroma concerts. Kind of annoying as there's not (yet) anything really comparable round here, which I honestly suspect is because there simply isn't anyone as passionate and dedicated re new music as Michael anywhere else in the country.

Jack Body is stylistically inconsistent but always interesting, and I'm very fond of Annea Lockwood's work as well. And Anthony Watson's three string quartets, which would probably appeal to fans of Bartk. I don't listen to nearly as much NZ music as I should though, very unpatriotic.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK