Author Topic: Gaping holes  (Read 2846 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Gaping holes
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »
What are the gaping holes in your discography ?  ???  ::)  :'(  :laugh:

I received today my first ever recording of Handel's Royal Fireworks Music. I know it well, probably through too much listening to Radio Classic in the car  ???. Now that I'm retired and don't commute any more, these sounds seem to have receded in the background.

It simply NEVER occured to me to look for that work.

Any other familiar works you're not THAT familiar with ?

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: Gaping holes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Not entirely a massive hole but I didn't have a complete Bruckner cycle until just recently ordering one, and therefore lacked recordings of Symphonies 1, 2 & 3.

Also Brahms Requiem. I know what recording I want I just haven't gotten it yet.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »
RvW's Sea Symphony.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:23:55 AM »
If I don't consider them gaping holes after almost 30 years of collecting the stuff, I guess they aren't gaps for me.
I really cannot think of anything except for opera I'd consider glaring holes in the "standard repertoire". This is partly due to the fact that other somewhat gappy fields are music of the last ca. 70 years and before 1700 or 1600.

But in opera, I have only one by Donizetti, two by Bellini (and I don't think I listened to both), 3 by Rossini, gaps in Verdi and Puccini, no other Verismo, no Gounod, Massenet, only 4 of Strauss's, none of Prokofieff's...

Overall, I'd say my fault is more on the side having stuff on my shelf for "completeness" I (almost) never listened to (e.g. quite a few of the operas I do have). But I also have gaps in stuff I generally like, e.g. some of the lesser known Handel oratorios, no complete Scarlatti sonatas, Bach cantatas or Schubert Lieder... I also lack a recording of the earliest Brucker symphony in f minor... but I have 0-9, including alternative/earlier versions of 3,4,8.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:03:54 AM by Jo498 »
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 12:36:20 AM »
If I don't consider them gaping holes after almost 30 years of collecting the stuff, I guess they aren't gaps for me.
+1

I really cannot think of anything except for opera I'd consider glaring holes in the "standard repertoire".
+1

But in opera, I have only one by Donizetti, two by Bellini (and I don't think I listened to both), 3 by Rossini, gaps in Verdi and Puccini,
I have very little bel canto, and find Rossini distinctly unfunny.

Overall, I'd say my fault is more on the side having stuff on my shelf for "completeness"
+1

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:39:19 AM by The new erato »

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:34 AM »
While many (not all) opera buffs differ, I think I need opera on stage, except for the rare cases when I am extremely fond of the music (e.g. some Mozart, Wagner, Fidelio, maybe a little Verdi and Handel). The problem is that despite living in a country with an extremely high density of opera performances I lived most of my live in smaller - midsized cities or even in the country and I am very lazy, especially if there is no date/friend/etc. interested in opera to go with, so I have not seen a lot on stage, although I usually enjoyed it when I did. I liked Donizetti's "L'elisir d'amore" on stage and it was even funny but on disc the music is quite nice but not all that special for me.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 04:25:04 AM »
I don't own, and have never heard in full, a single Beethoven string quartet. And as I vastly prefer music for orchestra above all else, I'm in no rush to pick up any of them.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 04:40:43 AM »
No Beethoven quartets certainly counts as gaping!
You should at least give them a try. I prefer the Beethoven quartets to 90% of the orchestral music I have heard and the late ones to 99,9% of all music I have heard ;)
Although I grant that if one does not like the sound of a string quartet anyway the Beethoven quartets are probably not the best place to start.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 05:26:26 AM »
I don't own a recording of Carmina Burana.  I don't want a recording of Carmina Burana.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:11:21 AM »
I own about 35 complete Beethoven string quartet sets, so there is a small hole in my collection there.

On the other hand I only own 65 Beethoven piano sonata sets, so this counts as a gaping hole, at least compared to Todd's collection.
res severa verum gaudium

Online Turner

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:07 AM »
Paganini´s violin concertos.

And I´ll remain stubborn on this.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 06:48:38 AM »
Paganini violin concertos.
I have the first concerto but I tend to think of it as a filler to the Saint-Saens on the same disc...  ;D I have no other Paganini but I thought I should get a recording of the solo capricci at some stage. But overall I probably do not care enough about fiddling even for those astonishing pieces.

Another (moderately glaring) gap that came to my mind is that I have very little solo piano music by Rachmaninov, one anthology with Kocsis and a few fillers on other anthologies (mainly Richter, I think). Same goes for Albeniz, Granados, de Falla. I "inherited" two discs or so of Satie but I don't much care for the stuff either.

While is is probably not what was meant by the threadstarter anyway, I usually do not consider the lack of famous recordings "gaping holes". But I could easily name quite a few of these, e.g. I have only a little Beethoven by Backhaus, Kempff or Brendel, no Mozart with Kraus, Haebler, Perahia, Uchida etc.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »
Paganini´s violin concertos.

I have them. But I think you are being reasonable there. But his chamber music has received good mentions here.

Online Turner

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »
I have them. But I think you are being reasonable there. But his chamber music has received good mentions here.

Agree, the string quartets are quite charming, I´ve got a couple of them, plus the solo violin Caprices.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
No Beethoven quartets certainly counts as gaping!
You should at least give them a try.

If the opportunity arose, then I'd certainly be willing to try them. But it's extremely rare that I listen to non-orchestral music anyway. I'm just hardly ever in the mood for listening to basically a single sound-world for an extended length of time. At least with orchestral music, you get the varied sounds that each group of instruments adds to the overall palette of colours. Again, that's not to say that I outright reject all chamber music. I do quite enjoy Mendelssohn's string quartets from time to time. And I'm certainly interested in hearing more modern takes on the form that perhaps incorporate a more varied technique on the instruments.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 04:04:08 AM »
I have a few gaping holes where I don't particularly get on with the music, even if it is 'core repertoire'.
Beethoven's 9th Symphony  ???  would be one example, and 'all of Mozart'  :blank:  would be another.

There's more than enough music that I know I like, to last me out, is the way I look at it.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Gaping holes
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 04:05:45 AM »
The literature is such, that none of us might exhaust it.

How beautiful it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:15:32 AM »
Even though I have over 1600 CD's in my library I could not begin to list all of the gapping holes in my library.  For example I do not have any recordings of the lieder of Schubert and I have only one recording (that I received in a CD that comes with my BBC Music Magazine) of any piano music of Schumann.

Since I am a band junkie I have multiple recordings of the some of the classic band works like:

Granger Lincolnshire Posey: 12 copies
Hindemith Symphony in Bb: 8 copies
Gould West Point Symphony: 6 copies
Persichetti Symphony No. 6 for Band: 7 copies
Holst Suites: 16 copies

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 04:37:05 AM »
Holst Suites: 16 copies
I didn't realize there even were 16 versions to choose from! Which is your favorite (or favorites)?
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 05:00:29 AM »
I'm more surprised at eight recordings of the Hindemith Symphony in Bb!  Fantastic piece.  I'll repeat this story, since arpeggio may not yet have joined GMG when I mentioned it last, but playing that piece in a New Jersey All-State Band was one of the biggest motivations for me to want to composer music, myself;  "This music is so exhilarating," I thought; "where can I get a piece of the action?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK