Author Topic: CD Players/Changers  (Read 789 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
CD Players/Changers
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
I'm in the market for a good CD player/changer to connect to my receiver. I want good sound quality, not concerned with brand name, and looking at the $100-$200 range. Any suggestions? What do you all have for a player?

Such a shame that all the electronic stores around me don't sell any in store anymore, they all have to be ordered. So I'm more than likely just going to order from Amazon.

Thank you in advance!  8)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: CD Players/Changers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:15:41 AM »
I'm in the market for a good CD player/changer to connect to my receiver. I want good sound quality, not concerned with brand name, and looking at the $100-$200 range. Any suggestions? What do you all have for a player?

Such a shame that all the electronic stores around me don't sell any in store anymore, they all have to be ordered. So I'm more than likely just going to order from Amazon.

Thank you in advance!  8)

Greg,
I bought a nice Pioneer for my Dad a few years back, he was always very satisfied with it on all counts. I was looking it up, Amazon still have it but it is discontinued. What I would likely buy for myself, since I now have Onkyo and am very pleased with it, is this one, which is, coincidentally, Amazon's best seller in the category:

This is, indeed, a disappearing genre!  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »
Greg,
I bought a nice Pioneer for my Dad a few years back, he was always very satisfied with it on all counts. I was looking it up, Amazon still have it but it is discontinued. What I would likely buy for myself, since I now have Onkyo and am very pleased with it, is this one, which is, coincidentally, Amazon's best seller in the category:

8)

Thanks, Gurn!

Disappearing indeed. My equipment is very out of date and the past years have been too comfortable with MP3/Digital Files while my boxes and boxes of CD's/LP's are stored away. Been struggling with this for about a year. Looks like I can upgrade my CD player, Receiver, and turntable for around $450 total, which I think is fairly reasonable. And was thinking the best place for advice on this equipment would be here. It's embarrassing what has become of electronic stores. Some of the Best Buy staff would tell me different things that would contradict each other, and at times I'm explaining to them about setting these up.

As Pres. Trump would tweet...SAD!  ;D

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »
Here's the same CD player, the DX-C390 CD changer, only it's from Crutchfield, whom I find to be the most reputable mid-fi dealer. Not that you need it for every purchase, but they offer lifetime technical support on everything they sell, which has been very helpful to me with TVs, routers, and headphones.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580DXC390/Onkyo-DX-C390.html?tp=197

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
Here's the same CD player, the DX-C390 CD changer, only it's from Crutchfield, whom I find to be the most reputable mid-fi dealer. Not that you need it for every purchase, but they offer lifetime technical support on everything they sell, which has been very helpful to me with TVs, routers, and headphones.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580DXC390/Onkyo-DX-C390.html?tp=197

Thanks, Jay. I've never used Crutchfield before, although I am aware of them. But of course the added tech support is HUGE!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »
I'll add another element to the conversation..

For a turntable/record player I'm looking at Audio Technica, they have some affordable ones around the $99-$200 range that are belt driven. My brother is adiment that I go direct drive route, although the price is steeper.

Anyone here with a belt drive player that has good things to add? Just don't know if I should spend the extra $$ for a more consistent playback with the direct considering I am still more of a CD collector than records at this point.

THX!

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
Thanks, Jay. I've never used Crutchfield before, although I am aware of them. But of course the added tech support is HUGE!

FWIW, I've used Crutchfield and was highly satisfied. Not that I needed the support, but it was nice to have it hovering there if need be. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
Greg,

8)
That is the one I have too, and am quite pleased with it. It lets you change discs whilst playing!
Check what outputs you need.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »
That is the one I have too, and am quite pleased with it. It lets you change discs whilst playing!
Check what outputs you need.

Thanks, Ken.

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
Another vote in favor of the Onkyo.

A good friend and music lover has this machine and loves it!

Price/value is very high with this one.

You might also check Audiogon for deals on used hi-end players too - and for your turntable needs perhaps as well.  ;)

Good luck!

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »
You might also check Audiogon for deals on used hi-end players too - and for your turntable needs perhaps as well.  ;)

+1 for Audiogon. I've bought from there with no hassles. It's a great place to find top gear at discounted prices.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
Thanks, Ken.

I left a review at Amazon a couple years ago with some detail. The one problem with this is size. It is big. Check the measurements.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:09 AM »
I'm using NAD C565BEE. I have had a lot of problems with it. First a rectifier got faulty and the player started to go off randomly. It was repaired. Then the motor that moves the CD tray got faulty and a CD got stuck inside the player. The motor was changed. Now I am praying the player will work for years without problems. The sound quality is jaw-dropping. That's why I want to use this player. It also has got digital optical input, so I can use it as a DA-converter (using with my tv sound), samplerate selector and 5 filter options to finetune the sound. Is this what NAD is today? Stunning sound quality, but horrible quality control? What a shame if that's true!  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »
I'm using NAD C565BEE. I have had a lot of problems with it. [...] Is this what NAD is today? Stunning sound quality, but horrible quality control? What a shame if that's true!  ???

I have a NAD C516BEE. I bought it in 2013. No problems with it whatsoever, it's worked smoothly for 4 years already.

The date of purchase may be significant. When researching equipment, I found a lot of complaints about NAD having technical problems, from around 2010 or before. But from what I've heard, they've improved a lot since then. What year did you buy your unit?

Anyone here with a belt drive player that has good things to add? Just don't know if I should spend the extra $$ for a more consistent playback with the direct considering I am still more of a CD collector than records at this point.

THX!

I have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and am very happy with it. Good quality, easy to set up and use, and nice to look at:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbondc&cat=turntables&lang=en

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:55:45 AM by Archaic Torso of Apollo »
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Fidgety

• In a world led by idiots...
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
For a very different sort of reply....

I would seriously check out your local Goodwill store(s).  Drive around to about 4 or 5, write down the makes and models of available CD players, then go back home and research them online. Then go back out and pick up the best one or two.

I guarantee you'll be able to find an excellent player (e.g. Denon, Onkyo, etc) for maybe $20. We're talking stuff which originally retailed for $300 to $400.

Goodwill is absolutely flooded with CD players. The people who bring their equipment to Goodwill don't have a clue what's good or bad, and very few people are buying them. Some very high-quality stuff is getting sold for a song.

Ka-ching!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:09:44 AM by Judge Fish »
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
Thank you to all the posters that replied. Much appreciated, and leaves me with plenty to consider.  :)

I'll leave the thread open for anyone that wants to continue discussing CD/Record players.

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »

I have the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and am very happy with it. Good quality, easy to set up and use, and nice to look at:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbondc&cat=turntables&lang=en

What color?

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
What color?

White, chosen to contrast with the blackness of all my other equipment.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK