Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 41341 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #840 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »

Adolphe Adam’s Le toréador. Review in the WAYLT thread.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #841 on: February 13, 2018, 04:33:18 AM »

It's a great shame the La Scala performance of the previous year (with Corelli and Bastianini) was never recorded, so this Carnegie Hall concert will have to do.

Though hardness and stridency afflicts some of her top notes, Callas is still a great singer and a great Bellinian stylist. Unfortunately Ferraro or Ego are really no more than adequate. None the less I am happy that we have this one recording of Callas in her penultimate creation.

The sound on this Warner issue is a marked improvement on the murky EMI release.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #842 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »
Revisiting the complete Act IV of Pietro Mascagni’s Parisina:

Parisina has nothing to do with the crude verismo of Cavalleria rusticana, the pastoral atmosphere of L’amico Fritz or the florid orientalism of Iris (just to mention the composer’s best known operas). This is an ambitious (over-ambitious?) and overlong medieval tragedy by Gabriele d’Annunzio (a companion to the poet’s Francesca da Rimini, set to music by Riccardo Zandonai). Mascagni apparently said he’d set “even the commas” of d’Annunzio’s text to music, and the result is a work that lasted 3 hours and forty minutes. On the second performance in 1913, the composer decided to suppress the fourth act completely, but still the opera has had very little circulation since then.

It is a very interesting piece, and the composer tries to adopt a much more refined musical language, with a superb orchestration. The opera’s tone is one of almost incessant exaltation (in line with text), and accomplished as it is, this is also a weakness IMHO. Still, I think this is a noble effort, worth exploring, and represents Mascagni at the top of his craft (which one could argue isn’t saying much).

Gianadrea Gavazzeni, who was an ardent defender of the opera in print and in the pit in post-WWII Italy, leads a impassioned performance of this fourth act, with his wife Denia Mazzola in the title role. She went on to record the whole opera (shorn of this fourth act, and apparently with assorted cuts here and there) in Montpellier for Actes Sud, and is in better form there than in this concert from the Maggio Musicale. There’s also a recording of the four act opera under Gavazzeni, in an abridged edition of his own, live from Rome in 1978 on Bongiovanni (which I’m tempted to seek out).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:52:41 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Lŕ, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline Draško

« Reply #843 on: February 15, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »

From The Metropolitan, 18.01.1956, in quite spectacularly good sound for its day and age.

Gorgeously sung by Della Casa, Gueden and Edelmann in top form as well. Slight reservations over Rise Stevens' somewhat matronly Octavian. Very well played and balanced Met orchestra under Kempe. A fine performance overall. Worth hearing.

I've been streaming it, but it also can be sampled (in its entirety) via youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDdZMcLkr-c

Offline Undersea

• D. R. & Quinch (From 2000AD)
« Reply #844 on: February 18, 2018, 12:26:59 AM »

Wagner: Tannhäuser, WWV 70 - Wolfgang Windgassen, Etc.; Wolfgang Sawallisch: Chor & Orchester Der Bayreuther Festspiele

Only the 2nd time I have listened to this work - I loved it!.
Live and let live.

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
  • Currently Listening to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N46ARjDGsQI
« Reply #845 on: February 18, 2018, 03:55:15 AM »

Lombard conducting Cosi fan Tutte,
Delightful singing by the ladies.

Offline Undersea

• D. R. & Quinch (From 2000AD)
« Reply #846 on: February 18, 2018, 04:45:06 AM »

Verdi: Rigoletto - Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland, Etc.; Richard Bonynge: London Symphony Orchestra

Good, as you would expect, but (in my copy at least) a fair bit of distortion in the louder moments.
Live and let live.

Offline Wendell_E

mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #847 on: February 18, 2018, 06:01:51 AM »

Lombard conducting Cosi fan Tutte,
Delightful singing by the ladies.

I have to chuckle at how much larger their names are than the gentlemen's, and that the Alfonso gets first billing in the XY group.  :D
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N46ARjDGsQI
« Reply #848 on: February 19, 2018, 12:23:42 AM »
I have to chuckle at how much larger their names are than the gentlemen's, and that the Alfonso gets first billing in the XY group.  :D

I think it's pure marketing.  ;)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK