Author Topic: Your Top 20 Favorite 20th Century Orchestral Works  (Read 5686 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Your Top 20 Favorite 20th Century Orchestral Works
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2017, 12:42:52 AM »
I played the Kabelac some time ago. I must say it was an excellent recommendation of yours, the same with Novák's The Storm. I need to explore those ones by Sainton, Pingoud and Ireland.
Glad you liked those works Caesar.  :)
Sainton was, IMHO, a most interesting composer and largely forgotten.
'Nadir' is a very moving, short 'despair turning into defiance' war-time work. Sainton wrote it, apparently, after witnessing the death of a young child during a bombing raid on Bristol during the Second World War. His 'The Island' is very Baxian and there is his fine movie score for 'Moby Dick' - now on Naxos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

Re: Your Top 20 Favorite 20th Century Orchestral Works
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »
Glad you liked those works Caesar.  :)
Sainton was, IMHO, a most interesting composer and largely forgotten.
'Nadir' is a very moving, short 'despair turning into defiance' war-time work. Sainton wrote it, apparently, after witnessing the death of a young child during a bombing raid on Bristol during the Second World War. His 'The Island' is very Baxian and there is his fine movie score for 'Moby Dick' - now on Naxos.

War-time works are favorites of mine. 'Baxian' sounds intriguing, too. Now, all that sounds appealing for me. Thanks for your response Jeffrey!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK