Author Topic: Allan Holdsworth (1946-2017)  (Read 1448 times)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Galas, Xenakis, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
Re: Allan Holdsworth (1946-2017)
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 02:13:24 AM »
Van Halen sucks  :P
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 02:13:52 AM »
A crowdfunding campaign to cover pioneering guitarist Allan Holdsworths funeral expenses has been closed after just three days, with thousands of fans chipping in to raise nearly six times the target amount.

Read More: Allan Holdsworth Fans Pay for His Funeral | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/allan-holdsworth-funeral/?trackback=tsmclip
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Galas, Xenakis, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:31 AM »
Holdsworth was definitely one of a kind, I haven't heard anyone that sounds like him (well his mature work at least).
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 02:21:56 AM »

My music is written with one goal in mind: to improvise. Its like explaining a great story in words, but without words, much faster than you could with words. Its like a direct line of instantaneous communication where you dont have to wait for the end.
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mike Oldfield (1953 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Bjrk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Phil Manzanera, Camel
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
I received the Holdsworth box set today and it is absolutely magnificent! Theres a lush 40-page booklet with high quality photos of the man himself and each album has the original LP-style gatefold sleeve that comes with it. This may be one of my favorite purchases of the year (so far).
Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music. - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
I received the Holdsworth box set today and it is absolutely magnificent! Theres a lush 40-page booklet with high quality photos of the man himself and each album has the original LP-style gatefold sleeve that comes with it. This may be one of my favorite purchases of the year (so far).

Excellent. Even though I really don't need it, I may just crumble & buy it myself later this year - it certainly looks very attractive and it's all remastered!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mike Oldfield (1953 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Bjrk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Phil Manzanera, Camel
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
Excellent. Even though I really don't need it, I may just crumble & buy it myself later this year - it certainly looks very attractive and it's all remastered!

Indeed! My dad owns most of these albums and I could have easily burned CDs from his collection, but this box set was too good to pass up and who knows it may be a collectors item one day. In other Holdsworth news, I just received the Japanese pressing of the U.K. album and it sounds amazing.
Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music. - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q8OiP7lEBdI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q8OiP7lEBdI</a>

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2TzfgjHDSRU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2TzfgjHDSRU</a>

Offline Robert101

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
I've been listening to so many of Allan's recordings since his death it's hard to remember them all. He has always been a favorite of mine--though I wish he'd avoided the Synth-stuff--and his harmonic sense is unique among guitarists of his genre.  If he hadn't played so fast and continuously, his note choices would be even more impressive. I hear Coltrane, Rollins and Bill Evans in his playing more than any guitarist past or present. And much of his greatness was done without bending notes and zero rock star affectation. He reminds me of Joe Pass when he talks about music (I know Allan H. liked his playing). He seemed humble and not too theoretical in interviews.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK