Author Topic: The Rake's Progress  (Read 501 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
The Rake's Progress
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
I haaave been trying, but it just keeps sounding more and more like... Opera. English Mpzart Opera Humor. Tragedy. We have:

Stravinsky mono 1953?
Stravinsky CBS/SONY
Nagano
Chailly
Gardiner
Craft
Ozawa

I listened to a few different samples. The sound of the male voice would be sooooo important for me to be able to handle this. The Chailly singer I didn't like. And the Craft singer seemed too stiffy stiff. Ian Bostridge sounded nice enough... there's not many samples on YT...other than live...

Everyone says that only Stravinsky's two versions are any good, and the first is better (but mono), but all fall flat compared to both. Frankly, I could probably use the blandest singing- bland is grand, shrill is swill, can't handle any warbling...

Of course, I'm not really so thrilled with the music itself... it seems kind of spare, very "Mozartean", very mdi-century NeoClassic... I finally heard the harpdichord bit... (wow, my typing is sucking)...

They say Gardiner's female is too weak, Hadley is too into himself... Ramey is good here but only ok there... Ozawa's a no go... and on and on...

it's all bad news.

I can see why Opera fans can be so bitchy!

sorry :laugh: couldn't resist :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:07:25 PM by snyprrr »
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
Re: The Rake's Progress: It's Almost All Bad News!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
I haaave been trying, but it just keeps sounding more and more like... Opera. English Mpzart Opera Humor. Tragedy. We have:

Stravinsky mono 1953?
Stravinsky CBS/SONY
Nagano
Chailly
Gardiner
Craft
Ozawa

I listened to a few different samples. The sound of the male voice would be sooooo important for me to be able to handle this. The Chailly singer I didn't like. And the Craft singer seemed too stiffy stiff. Ian Bostridge sounded nice enough... there's not many samples on YT...other than live...

Everyone says that only Stravinsky's two versions are any good, and the first is better (but mono), but all fall flat compared to both. Frankly, I could probably use the blandest singing- bland is grand, shrill is swill, can't handle any warbling...

Of course, I'm not really so thrilled with the music itself... it seems kind of spare, very "Mozartean", very mdi-century NeoClassic... I finally heard the harpdichord bit... (wow, my typing is sucking)...

They say Gardiner's female is too weak, Hadley is too into himself... Ramey is good here but only ok there... Ozawa's a no go... and on and on...

it's all bad news.

I can see why Opera fans can be so bitchy!

sorry :laugh: couldn't resist :laugh:

I have the Gardiner and the Stravinsky stereo. I prefer the Gardiner, both because of the sonics and because of Terfel and Otter. The other roles seemed about equal. But it's not an opera I might go back to very often.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: The Rake's Progress: It's Almost All Bad News!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
But it's not an opera I might go back to very often.
[/quote

ah, that might be all I need to hear there...hmm,,..thx!!
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK